Data deposited at Dryad: doi:10.5061/dryad.1b2q0
Discrete colour polymorphism in the tawny dragon lizard (Ctenophorus decresii) and differences in signal conspicuousness among morphs
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 5, pages 1035–1046, May 2013
How to Cite
Teasdale, L. C., Stevens, M. and Stuart-Fox, D. (2013), Discrete colour polymorphism in the tawny dragon lizard (Ctenophorus decresii) and differences in signal conspicuousness among morphs. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 1035–1046. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12115
- Issue published online: 26 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2012
- Australian Research Council. Grant Number: DP1092908
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council David Phillips Research Fellowship. Grant Number: BB/G022887/1
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics Int. 11: 36–42. , &
- 1999. Population structure and colour variation of the cichlid fish Labeotropheus fuelleborni Ahl along a recently formed archipelago of rocky habitat patches in southern Lake Malawi. Proc. R. Soc. B 266: 119–130. , , , , &
- 2008. Cuttlefish camouflage: the effects of substrate contrast and size in evoking uniform, mottle or disruptive body patterns. Vision. Res. 48: 1242–1253. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Retinal characteristics of the ornate dragon lizard, Ctenophorus ornatus. J. Comp. Neurol. 450: 334–344. , , , , &
- 1994. Sexual selection and the mismeasure of colour. Am. Nat. 144: 848–860. , &
- 2005. The cone photoreceptors and visual pigments of chameleons. J. Comp. Physiol. A. 191: 925–932. , &
- 2009. Why are females ornamented? A test of the courtship stimulation and courtship rejection hypotheses. Behav. Ecol. 20: 1334–1342. , &
- 2009. The scaling effects of substrate texture on camouflage patterning in cuttlefish. Vision. Res. 49: 1647–1656. , , , &
- 1992. Reptilian coloration and behavior. In: Biology of the Reptilia, vol. 18 (C. Gans, D. Crews, eds), pp. 298–422. Chicago University Press, Chicago, Illinois. &
- 2008. Environmentally induced changes in carotenoid-based coloration of female lizards: a comment on Vercken et al. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1165–1172. , , &
- 1837. Erpétologie Général ou Histoire Naturelle compléte des Reptiles, Vol. 4. Librairie Encyclopédique de Roret, Paris. &
- 2004. Possible role of female discrimination against ‘redundant’ males in the evolution of colour pattern polymorphism in guppies. Proc. R. Soc. B 271: S299–S301. &
- 1990. On the measurement and classification of color in studies of animal colour patterns. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 41: 315–352.
- 1992. Signals, signal conditions, and the direction of evolution. Am. Nat. 139: S125–S153.
- 2005. Comparing entire colour patterns as birds see them. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 86: 405–431. &
- 1945. Polymorphism. Biol. Rev. 20: 73–88.
- 1979. The hind leg pushup display of the Amphibolurus decresii species complex (Lacertilia: Agamidae). Copeia 1979: 29–40.
- 1981. Ecological segregation, colour matching, and speciation in lizards of the Amphibolurus decresii species complex (Lacertilia: Agamidae). Ecology 62: 1573–1584. &
- 2007. Linking color polymorphism maintenance and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22: 71–79. &
- 2008. Environment-contingent sexual selection in a colour polymorphic fish. Proc. R. Soc. B 275: 1785–1791. , , , , &
- 2001. Variations in cone photoreceptor abundance and the visual ecology of birds. J. Comp. Physiol. A. 187: 685–698.
- 2007. Avian visual pigments: characteristics, spectral tuning, and evolution. Am. Nat. 169: S7–S26. &
- 2004. Ecological genetics of adaptive color polymorphism in pocket mice: geographic variation in selected and neutral genes. Evolution 56: 1329–1341. , &
- 2002. Behavioural and neuroendocrine effects of environmental background colour and social interaction in Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus). J. Exp. Biol. 205: 2535–2543. , &
- 1974. Revision of the Amphibolurus decresii complex (Lacertilia: Agamidae) of South Australia. T. Roy. Soc. South Aust. 98: 49–60.
- 1999. Familiarity leads to female mate preference for novel males in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Anim. Behav. 58: 907–916. , , &
- 1955. Morphism in birds. Acta Int. Congr. Ornithol. XI: 309–328.
- 2007. Morphology, performance, behavior and ecology of three color morphs in males of the lizard Podarcis melisellensis. Integr. Comp. Biol. 47: 211–220. , , , &
- 2003. Mendelian inheritance of melanism in the garter snake Thamnophis sirtalis. Herpetologica 59: 484–489.
- 2007. Adaptive social and maternal induction of antipredator dorsal patterns in a lizard with alternative social strategies. Ecol. Lett. 10: 798–808. , , &
- 2001. Microsatellite determination of male reproductive success in a natural population of the territorial ornate dragon lizard, Ctenophorus ornatus. Mol. Ecol. 10: 193–203.
- 2002. Visual pigments and oil droplets in diurnal lizards: a comparative study of Caribbean anoles. J. Exp. Biol. 205: 927–938. , , &
- 2010. Colour polymorphism and correlated characters: genetic mechanisms and evolution. Mol. Ecol. 19: 5101–5125. &
- 2006. Frequency dependent survival in natural guppy populations. Nature 441: 633–636. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Carotenoid intake does not mediate a relationship between reactive oxygen species and bright colouration: experimental test in a lizard. J. Evol. Biol. 211: 1257–1261. , , , &
- 2004. Male contest behaviour and information content of signals used by the Australian Tawny Dragon. PhD dissertation, Australian National University, Canberra.
- 2005. Information content of male agonistic displays in the territorial tawny dragon (Ctenophorus decresii). J. Ethol. 23: 189–197.
- 2005. Photoreceptor spectral sensitivities in terrestrial animals: adaptations for luminance and colour vision. Proc. R. Soc. B 72: 1745–1752. &
- 2008. A review of the evolution of animal colour vision and visual communication signals. Vision. Res. 48: 2042–2051. &
- 2011. Gross colour pattern is used to distinguish between opponents during aggressive encounters in a Lake Malawi cichlid. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 21: 34–41. , , , &
- 1975. Adult color dimorphism and juvenile pattern in Anolis cuvieri. J. Herpetol. 9: 257–260. &
- 2004. The evolution, maintenance and adaptive function of genetic colour polymorphism in birds. Biol. Rev. 79: 815–848.
- 2004. Interspecific and intraspecific views of color signals in the strawberry poison frog Dendrobates pumilio. J. Exp. Biol. 207: 2471–2485. , , , &
- 2006. The developmental, physiological, neural, and genetical causes and consequences of frequency-dependent selection in the wild. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37: 581–610. &
- 1996. The rock-paper-scissors game and the evolution of alternative male strategies. Nature 380: 240–243. &
- 2002. Correlational selection and the evolution of genomic architecture. Heredity 89: 329–338. &
- 2001. The evolution of alternative reproductive strategies: fitness differential, heritability and genetic correlation between the sexes. J. Hered. 92: 198–205. &
- 2001. Social causes of correlational selection and the resolution of a heritable throat colour polymorphism in a lizard. Evolution 55: 2040–2052. , &
- 1995. Resource polymorphisms in vertebrates. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 366–370. &
- 2010. Visual modeling shows that avian host parents use multiple visual cues in rejecting parasitic eggs. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107: 8672–8676. &
- 2011. How to evade a coevolving brood parasite: egg discrimination versus egg variability as host defences. Proc. R. Soc. B 278: 3566–3573. &
- 2012. Host-parasite arms races and rapid changes in bird egg appearance. Am. Nat. 179: 633–648. &
- 2007. Contributions of pterin and carotenoid pigments to dewlap coloration in two anole species. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B 146: 42–46. &
- 2010. Carotenoid access, nutritional stress, and the dewlap color of male brown anoles. Copeia 2010: 239–246. , &
- 2007. Using digital photograph to study animal colouration. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 90: 211–237. , , , &
- 2010. Pattern mimicry of host eggs by the common cuckoo, as seen through a bird's eye. Proc. R. Soc. B 277: 1387–1393. &
- 2002. Evolution of colour variation and species richness in agamid lizards. Phd dissertation, University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- 2004. Sexual selection, natural selection and the evolution of dimorphic coloration and ornamentation in agamid lizards. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271: 2249–2255. &
- 2003. Conspicuous males suffer higher predation risk: visual modelling and experimental evidence from lizards. Anim. Behav. 66: 541–550. , , &
- 2004. Evolution of color variation in dragon lizards: quantitative tests of the role of crypsis and local adaptation. Evolution 58: 1549–1559. , , &
- 1991. Throat colour reliably signals status in male tree lizards, Urosaurus ornatus. Anim. Behav. 42: 745–753. &
- 2012. When mothers make sons sexy: maternal effects contribute to the increased sexual attractiveness of extra-pair offspring. Proc. R. Soc. B 279: 1233–1240. , , &
- 2007. Colour variation and alternative reproductive strategies in females of the common lizard Lacerta vivipara. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 221–232. , , &
- 2008. Colour variation in female common lizards: why we should speak of morphs, a reply to Cote et al. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1160–1164. , &
- 1998. Receptor noise as a determinant of colour thresholds. Proc. R. Soc. B 265: 351–358. &
- 1998. Tetrachromacy, oil droplets and bird plumage colours. J. Comp. Physiol. A. 183: 621–633. , , , &
- 2012. Pteridine, not carotenoid, pigments underlie the female-specific orange ornament of striped plateau lizards (Sceloporus virgatus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B 161: 117–123. , &
- 1999. When to be neighbourly: differential agonistic responses in the lizard Platysaurus broadleyi. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 46: 210–214.
- 1988. The inheritance of vertical barring (aggression and appeasement signals) in the Pygmy swordtail, Xiphophorus nigrensis (Poeciliidae, Teleostei). Copeia 1988: 299–307. &