How should parents adjust the size of their young in response to local environmental cues?
Article first published online: 16 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 7, pages 1488–1498, July 2013
How to Cite
Kuijper, B. and Johnstone, R. A. (2013), How should parents adjust the size of their young in response to local environmental cues?. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 1488–1498. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12156
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 16 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 NOV 2012
- 2008. Offspring size plasticity in response to intraspecific competition: an adaptive maternal effect across life-history stages. Am. Nat. 171: 225–237. , &
- 2006. Cross-generational environmental effects and the evolution of offspring size in the Trinidadian guppy Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 60: 348–361.
- 2010. Pathogen dose infectivity curves as a method to analyze the distribution of host susceptibility: a quantitative assessment of maternal effects after food stress and pathogen exposure. Am. Nat. 175: 106–115. , &
- 2001. Maternal provisioning of offspring and the use of those resources during ontogeny: variation within and between Atlantic salmon families. Func. Ecol. 15: 13–23. , , , , & et al.,
- 1996a. Maternal effects in animal ecology. Am. Zool. 36: 83–105.
- 1996b. The particular maternal effect of propagule size, especially egg size: patterns, models, quality of evidence and interpretations. Am. Zool. 36: 216–236.
- 1995. The evolution of offspring size and number: a test of the Smith-Fretwell model in three species of crickets. Oecologia 102: 389–396. &
- 2010. Behavioural reaction norms: animal personality meets individual plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25: 81–89. , , &
- 2002. Does within-population variation in fish egg size reflect maternal influences on optimal values? Am. Nat. 160: 756–765. &
- 1965. Maternal effects and selection response. In: Genetics Today, Proceeding of the XI International Congress on Genetics (S.J. Geerts, ed.), pp. 763–774. Pergamon, Oxford.
- 2011. How to balance the offspring quality-quantity tradeoff when environmental cues are unreliable. Oikos 120: 258–270. , &
- 2000. Evolutionary ecology of progeny size in arthropods. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 45: 341–369. &
- 2006. Demography, altruism, and the benefits of budding. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1707–1716. & ,
- 2011. Female sticklebacks transfer information via eggs: effects of maternal experience with predators on offspring. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 278: 1753–1759. , , &
- 2012. Male attractiveness regulates daughter fecundity non-genetically via maternal investment. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 279: 523–528. , &
- 2007. What keeps insects small? Time limitation during oviposition reduces the fecundity benefit of female size in a butterfly. Am. Nat. 169: 768–779. , &
- 2001. Optimal size and number of propagules: allowance for discrete stages and effects of maternal size on reproductive output and offspring fitness. Am. Nat. 157: 387–407. , &
- 2004. Seed mass and mast seeding enhance dispersal by a neotropical scatter-hoarding rodent. Ecol. Monogr. 74: 569–589. , &
- 2008. Sex differences in dispersal and the evolution of helping and harming. Am. Nat. 172: 318–330. &
- 2011. Egg size and offspring quality: a meta-analysis in birds. Biol. Rev. 86: 692–716.
- 2012. How dispersal influences parent-offspring conflict over investment. Behav. Ecol. 23: 898–906. &
- 2009. Adaptive maternal adjustments of offspring size in response to conspecific density in two populations of the Least Killifish, Heterandria formosa. Evolution 63: 1341–1347. , , &
- 2009. Habitat saturation and the spatial evolutionary ecology of altruism. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 1487–1502. &
- 2007. From infanticide to parental care: why spatial structure can help adults be good parents. Am. Nat. 170: E26–E46. &
- 2011. Evolution in structured populations: beyond the kin versus group debate. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26: 193–201. , &
- 1987. Selection of offspring size at independence and other size-versus-number strategies. Am. Nat. 129: 800–817.
- 1994. Clutch size, offspring performance, and intergenerational fitness. Behav. Ecol. 5: 412–417. , &
- 2007. The evolutionary ecology of offspring size in marine invertebrates. In: Advances in Marine Biology (D.W. Sims, ed.), vol. 53. pp. 1–60. Academic Press, New York. &
- 2010. The relationship between maternal phenotype and offspring quality: do older mothers really produce the best offspring? Ecology 91: 2862–2873. , , &
- 1987. Parental investment in offspring in variable environments: theoretical and empirical considerations. Am. Nat. 130: 370–398. , &
- 1987. Embryo size variation in mosquitofish: optimality vs plasticity in propagule size. Copeia 1987: 762–768.
- 2005. Poor maternal environment enhances offspring disease resistance in an invertebrate. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 272: 2601–2607. &
- 1998. State-dependent optimization of litter size. Oikos 83: 518–528.
- 2008. Interspecific variation in primary seed dispersal in a tropical forest. J. Ecol. 96: 653–667. , , , &
- 2005. Transgenerational body size effects caused by early developmental stress in zebra finches. Biol. Lett. 1: 95–97. &
- 2010. Maternal effects on offspring size and packaging constraints in the whelk. J. Zool. 281: 112–117. , , , &
- 2007. The evolutionary ecology of individual phenotypic plasticity in wild populations. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 831–844. , & ,
- 1986. Optimal egg size and clutch size: effects of environment and maternal phenotype. Am. Nat. 128: 573–592. &
- 1978. Models of parent-offspring conflict. I. Monogamy. Anim. Behav. 26: 97–110. &
- 1995. The influence of life history trade-offs and the size of incubation gravels on egg size variation in sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Oikos 74: 425–438. , &
- 2008. Geographic variation in maternal investment: acidity affects egg size and fecundity in Rana arvalis. Ecology 89: 2553–2562. , , &
- 2012. Evolution of helping and harming in heterogeneous populations. Evolution 66: 2065–2079. &
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer, Sunderland.
- 2007. How does it feel to be like a rolling stone? Ten questions about dispersal evolution. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38: 231–253.
- 2004. Genetic Structure in Subdivided Populations. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2011. Egg size and food abundance interactively affect juvenile growth and behaviour. Func. Ecol. 25: 166–176. &
- 2012. Juvenile exposure to predator cues induces a larger egg size in fish. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 279: 1241–1248. &
- 1999. Can pregnant lizards adjust their offspring phenotypes to environmental conditions? Oecologia 119, 1–8. &
- 1974. The optimal balance between size and number of offspring. Am. Nat. 108: 499–506. &
- 1997. Size-selective mortality in the juvenile stage of teleost fishes: a review. Bull. Mar. Sci. 60: 1129–1157.
- 2011. Genetic variation for maternal effects on parasite susceptibility. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 2357–2363. &
- 2007. Mothers adjust egg size to helper number in a cooperatively breeding cichlid. Behav. Ecol. 18: 652–657. , &
- 1992. Altruism in viscous populations: an inclusive fitness model. Evol. Ecol. 6: 352–356.
- 1996. How to make a kin selection model. J. Theor. Biol. 180: 27–37. &
- 1995. Predator-induced morphological defenses: costs, life history shifts, and maternal effects in Daphnia pulex. Ecology 76: 1691–1705.
- 2010. How demography, life history, and kinship shape the evolution of genomic imprinting. Am. Nat. 176: 440–455. , &
- 1996. Comparative ecology of seed size and dispersal [and discussion]. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 351: 1309–1318. , , , &