Data deposited at Dryad: doi:10.5061/dryad.c6f5b
The importance of social dimension and maturation stage for the probabilistic maturation reaction norm in Poecilia reticulata
Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 10, pages 2184–2196, October 2013
How to Cite
Diaz Pauli, B. and Heino, M. (2013), The importance of social dimension and maturation stage for the probabilistic maturation reaction norm in Poecilia reticulata. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 2184–2196. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12215
- Issue online: 12 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 AUG 2012
- Bergen Research Foundation and the Research Council of Norway. Grant Number: 214189/F20
Vol. 27, Issue 2, 455, Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2013
- 1993. The trade-off between foraging and courting in male guppies. Anim. Behav. 45: 673–681.
- 2003. A mechanism for social inhibition of sexual maturation in bluegill. J. Fish Biol. 62: 486–490. , &
- 1975. Growth and differentiation of sex in the pre-adult guppy, Poecilia reticulata (Peters). Bull. Fac. Fish. Hokkaido Univ. 26: 122–136. &
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity in adult life-history strategies compensates for a poor start in life in Trinidadian guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Am. Nat. 176: 818–829.
- 2011. lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999375-42. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4 , &
- 2006. Body condition and evolution of maturation of Atlantic cod in Newfoundland. ICES CM 2006/H:19: 1–11. , , &
- 2012. Temporal stability of the maturation schedule of capelin Mallotus villosus in the Barents Sea. Aquat. Living Resour. 25: 151–161. , &
- 2010. The reaction norm of size and age at maturity under multiple predator risk. J. Anim. Ecol. 79: 1069–1076. , &
- 2007. An ontogenetic perspective on the relationship between age and size at maturity. Funct. Ecol. 21: 505–512. &
- 1996. Sexual behaviour of immature male eastern mosquitofish: a way to measure intensity of intra-sexual selection? J. Fish Biol. 48: 726–737. , , &
- 1978. Social inhibition of maturation in natural populations of Xiphophorus variatus (Pisces: Poeciliidae). Science 201: 933–935.
- 2008. Critical timing for reproductive allocation in a capital breeder: evidence from sandeels. Aquatic Biol. 3: 31–40. &
- 1994. Social-control of male sexual-maturation in the swordtail Characin, Corynopoma riisei. J. Fish Biol. 44: 263–272. &
- 2006. Age and growth studies of chondrichthyan fishes: the need for consistency in terminology, verification, validation, and growth function fitting. Environ. Biol. Fishes 77: 211–228. , , &
- 2003. Knowledge of reproductive behavior contributes to conservation programs. In: Animal Behavior and Wildlife Conservation (M. Festa-Bianchet & M. Apollonio, eds), pp. 77–92. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2001. Effects of social structure on reproductive activity in male fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas). Behav. Ecol. 12: 482–489. &
- 2002. Developmental thresholds and the evolution of reaction norms for age and size at life-history transitions. Am. Nat. 159: 338–350. &
- 2011. Investigating the drivers of maturation dynamics in Barents Sea haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus). Fish. Res. 110: 441–449. &
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths and limitations. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 253–269. &
- 2002. The ontogeny of courtship, colour and sperm production in male guppies. J. Fish Biol. 60: 495–498. , &
- 2004. Absence of female conspecifics induces homosexual behaviour in male guppies. Anim. Behav. 68: 1381–1389. &
- 2011. Gonads, genitals, and reproductive biology. In: Ecology and Evolution of Poeciliid Fish (J.P. Evans, A. Pilastro & I. Schlupp, eds), pp. 3–17. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1996. Sex differences in the trade-off between feeding and mating in the guppy. J. Fish Biol. 48: 891–898.
- 2007. Three-dimensional maturation reaction norms for North Sea plaice. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 334: 213–224. , , , &
- 2013. How to measure maturation: a comparison of probabilistic methods used to test for genotypic variation and plasticity in the decision to mature. Evolution 67: 525–539. , , &
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life-history evolution: an overview of the reaction-norm approach. Bull. Mar. Sci. 83: 69–93. &
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction Norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56: 669–678. , &
- 1997. Sex, Color, and Mate Choice in Guppies. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1974. Steroidogenesis in the testis and gonadotropic activity in the pituitary during postnatal development of the black molly (Mollienisia latipinna). Proc. Kon. Ned. Akad. Wet. C 77: 193–200.
- 1999. Management implications of sexual differences in maturation and spawning mortality of Northeast Arctic cod. J. Northw. Atl. Fish. Sci. 25: 125–131. &
- 1980. Social inhibition of maturation in females of the temperate wrasse Pseudolabrus celidotus and a comparison with the blennioid Tripterygion varium. Mar. Biol. 59: 247–256. &
- 2010. The lifetime costs of increased male reproductive effort: courtship, copulation and the Coolidge effect. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 2403–2409. &
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318: 1247–1248. , , , , , et al.
- 1973. A sex-linked gene controlling gonadotrop differentiation and its significance in determining the age of sexual maturation and size of the platyfish, Xiphophorus maculatus. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 21: 287–304. &
- 2003. Sex differentiation and pubertal development of gonads in the viviparous mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis. Zool. Sci. 20: 1231–1242. , , , &
- 2007. Does the probabilistic maturation reaction norm approach disentangle phenotypic plasticity from genetic change? Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 295–300.
- 2009. The effect of social environment during ontogeny on life history expression in the guppy Poecilia reticulata. J. Fish Biol. 74: 2329–2337. &
- 2007. Disentangling the causes of maturation trends in exploited fish populations. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 249–251. &
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole, Solea solea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 351: 189–199. , &
- 2006. Does size matter most? The effect of growth history on probabilistic reaction norm for salmon maturation. Evolution 60: 1516–1521. &
- 2009. Plasticity in probabilistic reaction norms for maturation in a salmonid fish. Biol. Lett. 5: 628–631. , &
- 2008. Small-scale biocomplexity in coastal Atlantic cod supporting a darwinian perspective on fisheries management. Evol. Appl. 1: 524–533. , , , , &
- 1992. Management considerations in heifer development and puberty. J. Anim. Sci. 70: 4018–4035. , , , , &
- the R Development Core Team. 2011. nlme: Linear and nonlinear mixed effects models. R package version 3.1-102. , , & ,
- R Development Core Team 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL: http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2011. ImageJ. U. S. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD. http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/, 1997–2011
- 1982. The impact of predation on life history evolution in Trinidadian guppies: genetic basis of observed life history patterns. Evolution 36: 1236–1250.
- 1990. Plasticity in age and size at maturity in male guppies (Poecilia reticulata): an experimental evaluation of alternative models of development. J. Evol. Biol. 3: 185–203.
- 2001. The evolution of senescence in natural populations of guppies (Poecilia reticulata): a comparative approach. Exp. Gerontol. 36: 791–812. , , &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Theory and Analysis. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY.
- 2003. Mating systems and the conservation of commercially exploited marine fish. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 567–572. &
- 1998. Histological assessment of variations in sexual maturity of cod (Gadus morhua L.) at the Flemish Cap (north-west Atlantic). ICES J. Mar. Sci. 55: 515–521. &
- 1977. The genetic control of the pituitary-gonadal axis in the platyfish, Xiphophorus maculatus. J. Exp. Zool. 200: 277–293. &
- 1982. Histology and histochemistry of the testis and ovary of the platyfish, Xiphophorus maculatus, from birth to sexual maturity. Cell Tissue Res. 224: 81–87. , &
- 2003. Sexual differences in spawning behaviour and catchability of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) West of Iceland. Fish. Res. 61: 57–71. , &
- 1983. The evolution of life-history traits in mosquitofish since their introduction to Hawaii in 1905: rates of evolution, heritabilities, and developmental plasticity. Amer. Zool. 23: 65–75.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2000. Life history evolution: successes, limitations, and prospects. Naturwissenschaften 87: 476–486.
- 1984. Plasticity for age and size at sexual maturity: a life-history response to unavoidable stress. In: Fish Reproduction: Strategies and Tactics (G.W. Potts & R.J. Wootton, eds), pp. 13–33. Academic Press, London. &
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in life-history traits: predictions of reaction norms for age and size at maturity. Evolution 40: 893–913. &
- 2010. Control of puberty in farmed fish. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 165: 483–515. , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Maturation responses of salmonids to changing developmental opportunities. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 285–288.
- 1998. Modelling the proximate basis of salmonid life-history variation, with application to Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Evol. Ecol. 12: 581–599. , , &
- 2011. Temperature effects on female maturation in a temperate marine fish. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 403: 9–13. &
- 2010. Timing of the maturation transition in haddock Melanogrammus aeglefinus. J. Fish Biol. 77: 1252–1267. , &
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. Bioscience 45: 759–771.
- 1941. Morphogenesis of the gonopodium in Gambusia affinis affinis. J. Morphol. 69: 161–185.
- 2011. Experimental assessment of the probabilistic maturation reaction norm: condition matters. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 278: 709–717. , , , , &
- 2009. Two- and three-dimensional maturation reaction norms for the eastern Baltic cod, Gadus morhua. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 66: 248–257. , , &
- 2005. The analysis of reaction norms for age and size at maturity using maturation rate models. Evolution 59: 500–506. , &
- 2010. Fisheries-induced evolution in growth, maturation and reproductive investment of the sexually dimorphic North Sea plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.). J. Sea Res. 64: 85–93. , , &
- 2007. Understanding the maturation process for field investigations of fisheries-induced evolution. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 279–283.