Morphological change and phenotypic plasticity in native and non-native pumpkinseed sunfish in response to sustained water velocities
Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 11, pages 2383–2395, November 2013
How to Cite
Yavno, S. and Fox, M. G. (2013), Morphological change and phenotypic plasticity in native and non-native pumpkinseed sunfish in response to sustained water velocities. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 2383–2395. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12230
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUN 2013
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity in the interaction of evolution of species. Science 294: 321–326.
- 1999. Countergradient selection for rapid growth in pumpkinseed sunfish: disentangling ecological and evolutionary effects. Ecology 80: 2793–2798. &
- 1999. Drag reduction in fish–like locomotion. J. Fluid Mech. 392: 183–212. , , , &
- 2006. Morphological differentiation in introduced pumpkinseed Lepomis gibbosus (L.) occupying different habitat zones in Portuguese reservoirs. J. Fish Biol. 69: 79–94. , &
- 2011. Trophic polymorphism in introduced pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus) inhabiting Iberian reservoirs. Environ. Biol. Fish 91: 203–217. , &
- 2004. Fish functional design and swimming performance. J. Fish Biol. 65: 1193–1222.
- 1999. Biology and Wildlife of the Mediterranean Region. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Adv. Genet. 13: 115–155.
- 2002. Morphological variation between lake– and stream–dwelling rock bass and pumpkinseed populations. J. Fish Biol. 61: 1619–1638. &
- 2009. The fitness costs of developmental canalization and plasticity. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 852–860. &
- 2008. Increased fitness and plasticity of an invasive species in its introduced range: a study using Senecia pterophorus. J. Ecol. 96: 468–476. , , , &
- 2006. Global documentation of fish introductions: the growing crisis and recommendations for action. Biol. Invasions 8: 3–11.
- 2011. Phenotypic plasticity of introduced versus native purple loosestrife: univariate and multivariate reaction norm approaches. Biol. Invasions 13: 819–829.
- 2004. Fish fauna in Iberian Mediterranean river basins: biodiversity, introduced species and damming impacts. Aquat. Conserv. 14: 575–585. , &
- 2004. A neutral terminology to define ‘invasive’ species. Divers. Distrib. 10: 135–141. &
- 2006. Characterised and projected costs of nonindigenous species in Canada. Biol. Invasions 8: 45–59. , , , &
- 2007. Growth and life history traits of introduced pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus) in Europe, and the relevance to its potential invasiveness. In: Biological Invaders in Inland Waters: Profiles, Distribution, and Threats (F. Gherardi, ed.), pp. 289–306. Springer, Dordrecht. &
- 2007. The Baldwin effect and genetic assimilation: revisiting two mechanisms of evolutionary change mediated by phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 61: 2469–2479.
- 2011. The genetic origin and dispersal of introduced pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus) in the Iberian Peninsula. MSc thesis, Trent University, Peterborough.
- 2005. Locomotor function of the dorsal fin in rainbow trout: kinematic patterns and hydrodynamic forces. J. Exp. Biol. 208: 4479–4494. &
- 2001. Freshwater fish introductions in Spain: facts and figures at the beginning of the 21st century. J. Fish Biol. 59: 323–331. &
- 2011. A history of phenotypic plasticity accelerates adaptation to a new environment. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 1992–2001.
- 2010. Developmental plasticity in fish exposed to a water velocity gradient: a complex response. J. Exp. Zool. B Mol. Dev. Evol. 314B: 67–85. , &
- 2005. The evolutionary genetics of canalization. Q. Rev. Biol. 80: 287–316.
- 2000. Introduction of exotic fish into a Mediterranean lake over a 90-year period. Arch. Hydrobiol. 149: 271–284. &
- 1999. Stream in Mediterranean climate regions: abiotic influences and biotic responses to predictable season events. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 30: 51–81. &
- 2007. Adaptive versus non–adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Funct. Ecol. 21: 394–407. , , &
- 2003. Morphological and life–history differentiation between littoral and pelagic forms of pumpkinseed. J. Fish Biol. 62: 1099–1115. &
- 2008. Are there any consistent predictors of invasion success? Biol. Invasions 10: 438–506. &
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity in brook charr: changes in caudal fin induced by water flow. J. Fish Biol. 61: 1171–1181. , &
- 2007. Divergent walley (Sander vitreus)– mediated inducible defenses in the centrarchid pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 90: 25–36. &
- 2002. Exotic plant invasions and the enemy release hypothesis. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 164–170. &
- 2001. Progress in invasion biology: predicting invaders. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 199–204. &
- 2004. Genetic variation increases during biological invasion by a Cuban lizard. Nature 431: 177–181. , , , , &
- 2007. Influence of the North Atlantic Oscillation on water resources in central Iberia: precipitation, streamflow anomalies, and reservoir management strategies. Water Resour. Res. 43: W09411. , , &
- 1999. Total lipid energy as a proxy for total egg production by fish stocks. Nature 402: 288–290. , , &
- 2010. Global change and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1206: 35–55. , &
- 2004. Habitat and home range fidelity in a trophically dimorphic pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) population. Oecologia 140: 271–279. &
- 2000. Multivariate Statistics for Wildlife and Ecology Research. Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, USA. , &
- 2005. Fragmentation of flow regulation of the world's large river systems. Science 308: 405–408. , , &
- 2005. Phenotypic plasticity in a maternal trait in red deer. J. Anim. Ecol. 74: 387–396. , , , &
- 2001. Water velocity shapes juvenile salmonids. Evol. Ecol. 14: 721–730. &
- 2007. Foraging performance of diet–induced morphotypes in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) favours resource polymorphism. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 673–684. &
- 2004. The influence of swimming demand on phenotypic plasticity and morphological integration: a comparison of two polymorphic charr species. Oecologia 140: 36–45. &
- 1999. Does salinity affect somatic growth in early juvenile Atlantic croaker, Micropogonias undulates (L.)? J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 238: 199–207. , , &
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity's impacts on diversification and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25: 459–467. , , , , &
- 2012. Variation in phenotypic plasticity and selection patterns in blue tit breeding time: between- and within-population comparisons. J. Anim. Ecol. 81: 1041–1051. , , , , &
- 1987. Chemical and biological changes in the Ter river induced by a series of reservoirs. In: Regulated Streams (J.F. Craig, J.B. Kemper, eds), pp. 373–382. Plenum Publishing, New York, New York. , , , , &
- 2013. Spatial and temporal variation in assemblage structure of fish larvae in Mediterranean–type streams: contrasts between native and non–native species. Environ. Biol. Fish 96: 467–480. , &
- 2006. Jack of all trades, master of some? On the role of phenotypic plasticity in plant invasions. Ecol. Lett. 9: 933–981. , , , &
- 2002. Changing times, spaces, and faces: tests and implications of adaptive morphological plasticity in the fishes of northern postglacial lakes. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 59: 1819–1833. &
- 1996. Genetic variation and phenotypic plasticity in a trophically polymorphic population of pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Evol. Ecol. 10: 631–652. &
- 1993. Ecological and morphological differentiation of pumpkinseed sunfish in lakes without bluegill sunfish. Evol. Ecol. 7: 451–464. , , &
- 2000. A pluralistic analysis of character release in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Ecology 81: 2799–2812. , &
- 2008. Survival benefits and divergence of predator–induced behavior between pumpkinseed sunfish ectomorphs. Behav. Ecol. 19: 263–271. , &
- 2010. Effects of morphology on swimming performance in wild and laboratory crosses of brook trout ecotypes. Funct. Ecol. 24: 310–321. , &
- 1992. The Ter, a Mediterranean river system in Spain. Limnetica 8: 141–149. , , , , &
- 2006. Developmental plasticity in the thermal tolerance of zebrafish Danio rerio. J. Fish Biol. 69: 722–734. &
- 1973. Freshwater Fishes of Canada. Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. &
- 2002. Waddington's canalization revisited: developmental stability and evolution. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99: 10528–10532. &
- 2005. Dorsal and anal fin function in bluegill sunfish Lepomis macrochirus: three–dimensional kinematics during propulsion and maneuvering. J. Exp. Biol. 208: 2753–2763. &
- 1982. The truss: body form reconstructions in morphometrics. Syst. Zool. 31: 113–135. &
- 2005. Ontogenetic variability in external morphology of native (Canadian) and non–native (Slovak) populations of pumpkinseed Lepomis gibbosus (Linnaeus 1758). J. Appl. Ichthyol. 21: 335–344. , &
- 2004. North Atlantic oscillation influence on precipitation, river flow and water resources in the Iberian Peninsula. Int. J. Climatol. 24: 925–944. , , , , &
- 2007. Morphological variation in pumpkinseed Lepomis gibbosus introduced into Iberian lakes and reservoirs; adaptations to habitat type and diet? J. Fish Biol. 71: 163–181. , , &
- 1942. Canalization of development and the inheritance of acquired characters. Nature 150: 563–565.
- 1982. Locomotor patterns in the evolution of Actinopterygian fishes. Am. Zool. 22: 329–342.
- 1984a. Body form, locomotion and foraging in aquatic vertebrates. Am. Zool. 24: 107–120.
- 1984b. Form and function in fish swimming. Sci. Am. 25: 72–82.
- 2012. Contemporary and historic evolutionary processes interact to shape patterns of within–lake phenotypic divergences in polyphonic pumpkinseed sunfish, Lepomis gibbosus. Ecol. Evol. 2: 574–592. , &
- 2009. Something in the way you move: dispersal pathways affect invasion success. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24: 136–144. , , , &
- 1909. Weitere experimentelle Untersuchungen über Artveränderung, speziel über das Wesen quantitativer Artunterschiede bei Daphnien. Verh. Deut. Z. 19: 110–173.
- 2010. Pelvic fins in teleosts: structure, function and evolution. J. Fish Biol. 77: 1173–1208. , &
- 2013. Morphological differences between native and non–native pumpkinseed in traits associated with locomotion. Environ. Biol. Fish 96: 507–518. , , &