Data deposited at Dryad: doi:10.5061/dryad.1nt11
Fold or hold: experimental evolution in vitro
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 10, pages 2123–2134, October 2013
How to Cite
Collins, S., Rambaut, A. and Bridgett, S. J. (2013), Fold or hold: experimental evolution in vitro. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 2123–2134. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12233
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 APR 2013
- NERC. Grant Number: NE/G00904X/1
- 2006. The calmodulin pathway and evolution of elongated beak morphology in Darwin's finches. Nature 442: 563–567. Nature Publishing Group. , , , , &
- 2009. Genome evolution and adaptation in a long-term experiment with Escherichia coli. Nature 461: 1243–1247. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Adaptation and evolutionary rescue in metapopulations experiencing environmental deterioration. Science 332: 1327–1330. &
- 2006. The fittest versus the flattest: experimental confirmation of the quasispecies effect with subviral pathogens. PLoS Pathog. 2: e136. , , &
- 2009. Adaptation to different rates of environmental change in Chlamydomonas. Evol. Biol. 63: 2952–2965. &
- 2006. Rewinding the tape: selection of algae adapted to high CO2 at current and pleistocene levels of CO2. Evol. Biol. 60: 1392–1401. , &
- 2007. Adaptive walks toward a moving optimum. Genetics 176: 1089–1099. , &
- 2000. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 nucleocapsid protein can prevent self-priming of minus-strand strong stop DNA by promoting the annealing of short oligonucleotides to hairpin sequences. J. Virol. 74: 8785–8792. &
- 2009. Evolutionary origins and directed evolution of RNA. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 41: 254–265. , , &
- 2011. Cryptic genetic variation promotes rapid evolutionary adaptation in an RNA enzyme. Nature 474: 92–95. , &
- 2011. jMOTU and Taxonerator: Turning DNA Barcode Sequences into Annotated Operational Taxonomic Units. PLoS ONE 6: e19259. , &
- 2007. Forty years of in vitro evolution. Angew. Chem. 46: 6420–6436.
- 2009. The genetic basis of phenotypic adaptation I: fixation of beneficial mutations in the moving optimum model. Genetics 182: 233–249. &
- 2008. UNAFold: software for nucleic acid folding and hybridization. Methods Mol. Biol. 453: 3–31. &
- 2009. Adaptive divergence in experimental populations of Pseudomonas fluorescens. IV. Genetic constraints guide evolutionary trajectories in a parallel adaptive radiation. Genetics 183: 1041–1053. , , , &
- 1979. Selection in vitro. Proc. Biol. Sci. 205: 435–442.
- 2010. Distribution of fitness effects caused by single-nucleotide substitutions in bacteriophage f1. Genetics 185: 603–609. , , , &
- 2008. The rate of environmental change drives adaptation to an antibiotic sink. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1724–1731. , &
- 1998. Adaptive radiation in a heterogeneous environment. Nature 394: 69–72. &
- Roche 2009. GS FLX Titanium General Library Preparation Method Manual. Roche, Mannheim.
- 2010. Mutational fitness effects in RNA and single-stranded DNA viruses: common patterns revealed by site-directed mutagenesis studies. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365: 1975–1982.
- 2010. Natural selection and the genetics of adaptation in threespine stickleback. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365: 2479–2486. , , &
- 2003. Cytoscape: a software environment for integrated models of biomolecular interaction networks. Genome Res. 13: 2498–2504. , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Hypercycles and the origin of life. Nature 280: 445–446.
- 2002. Adaptive divergence in experimental populations of Pseudomonas fluorescens. I. Genetic and phenotypic bases of wrinkly spreader fitness. Genetics 161: 33–46. , , , &
- 1995. Experimental tests of the roles of adaptation, chance, and history in evolution. Science 267: 87–90. , &
- 2011. On the fixation process of a beneficial mutation in a variable environment. Genetics 188: 915–930. &
- 1997. A molecular predator and its prey: coupled isothermal amplification of nucleic acids. Chem. Biol. 4: 25–33. &