Adaptation and constraint in a stickleback radiation
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 11, pages 2396–2414, November 2013
How to Cite
Voje, K. L., Mazzarella, A. B., Hansen, T. F., Østbye, K., Klepaker, T., Bass, A., Herland, A., Bærum, K. M., Gregersen, F. and Vøllestad, L. A. (2013), Adaptation and constraint in a stickleback radiation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 2396–2414. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12240
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 SEP 2012
- Norwegian Research Council. Grant Number: 16639/F20
- 2008. Natural selection on a major armor gene in threespine stickleback. Science 322: 255–257. , &
- 2012. A comparative method for studying multivariate adaptation. J. Theor. Biol. 314: 204–215. , , , &
- 1992. Spatial variation of morphology in a freshwater population of the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Can. J. Zool. 70: 1140–1148.
- 1982. Differentiation of adjacent stream populations of threespine sticklebacks. Evolution 36: 189–199.
- 1984. Evolutionary phenetics and genetics: the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, and related species. In: Evolutionary Genetics of Fishes (B.J. Turner, ed.), pp. 431–528. Plenum, New York, NY.
- 1994. Paleobiology and evolution of threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A. Bell & S.A. Foster, eds), pp. 438–471. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2001. Lateral plate evolution in the threespine stickleback: getting nowhere fast. Genetica 112–113: 445–461.
- 1994. The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1993. Evolution of pelvic reduction in threespine stickleback fish: a test of competing hypotheses. Evolution 47: 906–914. , , &
- 2004. Twelve years of contemporary armor evolution in a threespine stickleback population. Evolution 58: 814–824. , &
- 2002. Fast-start swimming performance and reduction in lateral plate number in threespine stickleback. Can. J. Zool. 80: 207–213.
- 2010. Foraging trait (co)variances in stickleback evolve deterministically and do not predict trajectories of adaptive diversification. Evolution 64: 2265–2277. , &
- 1960. Design for a fry trap. Zoologica 45: 155–160.
- 1998. Model Selection and Inference: a Practical Information-Theoretic Approach. Springer Verlag, New York, NY. &
- 2004. Phylogenetic comparative analysis: a modeling approach for adaptive evolution. Am. Nat. 164: 683–695. &
- 2004. The genetic architecture of parallel armor plate reduction in threespine sticklebacks. PLoS Biol. 2: 635–641. , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307: 1928–1933. , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Phylogeography and adaptation genetics of stickleback from the Haida Gwaii archipelago revealed using genome-wide single nucleotide polymorphism genotyping. Mol. Ecol. 22: 1917–1932. , , , &
- 2013. Evidence for adaptive phenotypic differentiation in Baltic Sea sticklebacks. J. Evol. Biol. 26: 1700–1715. &
- 2013. Heterogeneous genomic differentiation in marine threespine sticklebacks: adaptation along an environmental gradient. Evolution, 9: 2530–2546. , &
- 2010. Freshwater Ecology: Concepts and Environmental Applications of Limnology, 2nd edn. Academic Press, London. &
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1998. Nested biological variation and speciation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 353: 207–218. , &
- 1983. The possible role of environmental calcium levels during the evolution of phenotypic diversity in Outer Hebridean populations of the three-spined stickleback. J. Zool. 199: 535–544.
- 1971. Geometric similarity in allometric growth: a contribution to the problem of scaling in the evolution of size. Am. Nat. 105: 113–136.
- 1973. Inheritance of numbers of lateral plates and gill rakers in Gasterosteus aculeatus. Heredity 30: 303–312.
- 1972. Geographic variation and environmental selection in Gasterosteus aculeatus L. in the Pacific northwest, America. Evolution 26: 32–51. &
- 1997. Stabilizing selection and the comparative analysis of adaptation. Evolution 51: 1341–1351.
- 2012. Interpreting the evolutionary regression: the interplay between observational and biological errors in phylogenetic comparative studies. Syst. Biol. 61: 413–425. &
- 2011. Deviation from the line of least resistance does not exclude genetic constraints: a comment on Berner et al.. Evolution 65: 1821–1822. &
- 2008. A comparative method for studying adaptation to a randomly evolving environment. Evolution 62: 1965–1977. , &
- 1994. Evolution of foraging behaviour in threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A. Bell & S.A. Foster, eds), pp. 207–239. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Mol. Ecol. 17: 20–29. , &
- 2011. Predicting Maximum Lake Depth from Surrounding Topography. PLoS ONE 6: e25764. , &
- 2008. Evolution toward a new adaptive optimum: phenotypic evolution in a fossil stickleback lineage. Evolution 62: 700–710. , &
- 1957. A Treatise on Limnology. Volume 1. Geography, Physics and Chemistry. Wiley, New York.
- 1932. Problems of Relative Growth. L. MacVeagh, New York.
- 2007. Sexual dimorphism in the external morphology of the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Copeia 2: 336–349. , &
- 2008. Reverse evolution of armor plates in the threespine stickleback. Curr. Biol. 18: 769–774. , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Morphological changes in a marine population of the threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus, recently isolated in freshwater. Can. J. Zool. 71: 1251–1258.
- 2011. MorphoJ: an integrated software package for geometric morphometrics. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11: 353–357.
- 2009. Evolution of thermal physiology in Liolaemus lizards: adaptation, phylogenetic inertia, and niche tracking. Am. Nat. 174: 204–220. , &
- 2009. Meta-analysis and the comparative phylogenetic method. Am. Nat. 174: 369–381.
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain – body size allometry. Evolution 33: 402–416.
- 1985. Genetic and evolutionary aspects of allometry. In: Size and Scaling in Primate Biology (W.L. Jungers, ed.), pp. 21–32. Plenum Press, New York.
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164: 335–349. &
- 1985. The evolution of freshwater diversity in threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus): site-specific differentiation of trophic morphology. Can. J. Zool. 63: 2632–2638. &
- 2011. Strong and consistent natural selection associated with armour reduction in sticklebacks. Mol. Ecol. 20: 2483–2493. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Genetics of body shape and armour variation in threespine sticklebacks. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 206–218. , &
- 2010. Hybridization between distant lineages increases adaptive variation during a biological invasion: stickleback in Switzerland. Mol. Ecol. 19: 3995–4011. , , , &
- 2009. Predation's role in repeated phenotypic and genetic divergence of armor in threespine stickleback. Evolution 63: 127–138.
- 2007. Parallel evolution by correlated response: lateral plate reduction in threespine stickleback. Evolution 61: 1084–1090. &
- 2010. Quantitative genetic variation in static allometry in the threespine stickleback. Integr. Comp. Biol. 50: 1067–1080. , , , &
- 1984. Ecology and evolution of sympatric sticklebacks (Gasterosteus): morphological and genetic evidence for a species pair in Enos Lake, British Columbia. Can. J. Zool. 62: 1402–1408.
- 1992. Ecology and evolution of sympatric sticklebacks (Gasterosteus): evidence for a species pair in Paxton Lake, Texada Island, British Columbia. Can. J. Zool. 70: 361–369.
- 2003. Relative Sea Level Change in Fennoscandia. Department of Geology, TMU, University of Tromsø.
- 1976. Phenetic variation and habitat differences in Gasterosteus populations of the Queen Charlotte Islands. Syst. Biol. 25: 49–61. &
- 2011. Environmental determinants of threespine stickleback species pair evolution and persistence. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 68: 1983–1997. , &
- R Development Core Team 2010. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing, reference index version 2.8.1. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1980. Spine deficiency and polymorphism in a population of Gasterosteus aculeatus: an adaptation to predators? Can. J. Zool. 58: 1232–1244.
- 1983. Structural relationships between spines and lateral plates in three-spine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evolution 37: 931–946.
- 2009. Size-correction and principal components for interspecific comparative studies. Evolution 63: 3258–3268.
- 2005–2007. tpsDig, tpsRegr, tpsRelw. Distributed by the author at http://www.life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 1979. Growth of complex systems can be related to the properties of their underlying determinants. PNAS 76: 5413–5417.
- 1996a. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774.
- 1996b. Ecological speciation in postglacial fishes. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 351: 807–814.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2003. Frequency dependent natural selection during character displacement in sticklebacks. Evolution 57: 1142–1150.
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 140: 85–108. &
- 2013. Ecological causes of morphological evolution in the three-spined stickleback. Ecol. Evol. 3: 1717–1726. , , , &
- 2007. http://www.statkart.no/en/.
- 2009. http://www.statkart.no/en/.
- 2009. Darwin and Huxley revisited: the origin of allometry. J. Biol. 8: 14.
- 2012. Niche specialization influences adaptive phenotypic plasticity in threespine stickleback. Am. Nat. 180: 50–59. &
- 2013. Evolution of static allometries: slow rate of adaptive change in allometric slopes of eye span in stalk-eyed flies. Evolution 67: 453–467. &
- 1997. Ecological morphology of lacustrine three-spine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus L (Gasterosteidae) bodyshape. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 61: 3–50.
- 2005. Do faster starts increase the probability of evading predators? Funct. Ecol. 19: 808–815. , , , &
- 1975. Limnology. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia.
- 2012. Ancestral plasticity and allometry in threespine stickleback fish reveal phenotypes associated with derived, freshwater ecotypes. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 105: 573–583. , , &