Both authors contributed equally.
Repeated and predictable patterns of ecotypic differentiation during a biological invasion: lake–stream divergence in parapatric Swiss stickleback
Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 12, pages 2691–2709, December 2013
How to Cite
Lucek, K., Sivasundar, A., Roy, D. and Seehausen, O. (2013), Repeated and predictable patterns of ecotypic differentiation during a biological invasion: lake–stream divergence in parapatric Swiss stickleback. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 2691–2709. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12267
Data deposited at Dryad: doi: 10.5061/dryad.0nh60
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 JAN 2013
- EAWAG action field project AquaDiverse
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 3100A0-106573
- 2013. Hybridization and speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 26: 229–246. , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Ecology and evolution of sympatric sticklebacks (Gasterosteus): specialization for alternative trophic niches in the Enos Lake species pair. Can. J. Zool. 62: 2280–2286. &
- 2002. Fast-start swimming performance and reduction in lateral plate number in threespine stickleback. Can. J. Zool. 80: 207–213.
- 2010. On the origin of species: insights from the ecological genomics of lake whitefish. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365: 1783–1800. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Correction of a bootstrap approach to testing for evolution along lines of least resistance. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 2563–2565.
- 2008. Natural selection drives patterns of lake-stream divergence in stickleback foraging morphology. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1653–1665. , , &
- 2009. Variable progress toward ecological speciation in parapatry: stickleback across eight lake-stream transitions. Evolution 63: 1740–1753. , &
- 2010. Constraints on speciation suggested by comparing lake-stream stickleback divergence across two continents. Mol. Ecol. 19: 4963–4978. , , &
- 2011. Quantitative genetic inheritance of morphological divergence in a lake-stream stickleback ecotype pair: implications for reproductive isolation. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 1975–1983. , , , , &
- 1925. Recherches bionomiques, biométriques et systématiques sur les épinoches (Gastérostéidés). Ann. Inst. Océanogr. Monaco. 2: 1–204.
- 2009. Phenotype-dependent native habitat preference facilitates divergence between parapatric lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 63: 2004–2016. , , , , &
- 2008. Effects of colonization history and landscape structure on genetic variation within and among threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations in a single watershed. Evol. Ecol. Res. 10: 575–598. &
- 2004. Speciation, 1st edn. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland. &
- 2012. Population genomics of parallel phenotypic evolution in stickleback across stream-lake ecological transitions. Proc. Biol. Sci. 279: 1277–1286. , , , , &
- 2004. Adaptive Speciation, 1st edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , &
- 2009. Individual experience and evolutionary history of predation affect expression of heritable variation in fish personality and morphology. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276: 1285–1293. , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Speciation along environmental gradients. Nature 421: 259–264. &
- 2011. If F(ST) does not measure neutral genetic differentiation, then comparing it with Q(ST) is misleading. Or is it? Mol. Ecol. 20: 1805–1812. &
- 2012. Non-random gene flow: an underappreciated force in evolution and ecology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 27: 659–665. &
- 2008. Matching habitat choice causes directed gene flow: a neglected dimension in evolution and ecology. Evolution 62: 2462–2472. , &
- 2010. Rapid sympatric ecological differentiation of crater lake cichlid fishes within historic times. BMC Biol. 8: 1–15. , , , &
- 1977. Geographic Variation, Speciation, and Clines, 1st edn. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2009. Parallelism and historical contingency during rapid ecotype divergence in an isopod. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 1098–1110. , , , , &
- 2007. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: dominant markers and null alleles. Mol. Ecol. Notes 7: 574–578. , &
- 1882. Faune des vertébrés de la Suisse, 1st edn. H. Georg, Genève.
- 2012. PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package) version 3.69. Distributed by the author. Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 2007. The multifarious effects of dispersal and gene flow on contemporary adaptation. Funct. Ecol. 21: 434–443. , &
- 2009. Adaptive radiation: contrasting theory with data. Science 323: 732–737. &
- 1988. Development, morphometry and particle retention capability of the gill rakers in the herring, Clupea harengus L. J. Fish Biol. 32: 949–962.
- 1984. Geographic variation in the gillrakers and the diet of European threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Copeia 1: 87–97. &
- 1973. Inheritance of numbers of lateral plates and gill rakers in Gasterosteus aculeatus. Heredity 30: 303–312.
- 1972. Geographic variation and environmental selection in Gasterosteus aculeatus L. in the Pacific Northwest, America. Evolution 26: 32–51. &
- 1948. The theory of a cline. J. Genet. 48: 277–284.
- 1870. Die Fische Tirols und Vorarlbergs. Z. Ferdinandeums Tirol. 5: 295–369.
- 2002. QST > = ≠ < FST? Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 502.
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? An evaluation using lake-stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58: 2319–2331. &
- 2000. Rapid evolution of reproductive isolation in the wild: evidence from introduced salmon. Science 290: 516–519. , , , &
- 2001. Population mixing and the adaptive divergence of quantitative traits in discrete populations: a theoretical framework for empirical tests. Evolution 55: 459–466. , &
- 2002. Adaptive divergence and the balance between selection and gene flow: lake and stream stickleback in the Misty system. Evolution 56: 1199–1216. , &
- 2007. The speed of ecological speciation. Funct. Ecol. 21: 455–464. , &
- 2011. Genetic divergence in morphology-performance mapping between Misty Lake and inlet stickleback. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 23–35. , , , &
- 2013. Hendry Vineyard stickleback: testing for contemporary lake-stream divergence. Evol. Ecol. Res. 15: 1–32. , &
- 2002. Heritability and “evolvability” of meristic characters in a natural population of Gasterosteus aculeatus. Can. J. Zool. 80: 532–541. , , &
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9: 1322–1332. , , &
- 2011. Rapid parallel adaptive radiations from a single hybridogenic ancestral population. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278: 58–66. , &
- 2011. Speciation along a depth gradient in a marine adaptive radiation. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278: 613–618.
- 2012a. A genome-wide SNP genotyping array reveals patterns of global and repeated species-pair divergence in sticklebacks. Curr. Biol. 22: 83–90. , , , , , et al.
- 2012b. The genomic basis of adaptive evolution in threespine sticklebacks. Nature 484: 55–61. , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Parallel and nonparallel aspects of ecological, phenotypic, and genetic divergence across replicate population pairs of lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 66: 402–418. , , &
- 2011. MorphoJ: an integrated software package for geometric morphometrics. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11: 353–357.
- 2002. Morphological segregation of Icelandic threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus L). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 76: 247–257. , &
- 2010. Natural and sexual selection giveth and taketh away reproductive barriers: models of population divergence in guppies. Am. Nat. 176: 26–39. &
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164: 335–349. &
- 2012. Abrupt changes in defence and trophic morphology of the giant threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus sp.) following colonization of a vacant habitat. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 107: 494–509. &
- 2008. Evolution of phenotypic clusters through competition and local adaptation along an environmental gradient. Evolution 62: 807–822. , &
- 2010. Hybridization between distant lineages increases adaptive variation during a biological invasion: stickleback in Switzerland. Mol. Ecol. 19: 3995–4011. , , , &
- 2012. Evidence of adaptive evolutionary divergence during biological invasion. PLoS ONE 7: e49377. , &
- 2013. Adaptive plasticity and genetic divergence in feeding efficiency during parallel adaptive radiation of whitefish (Coregonus spp.). J. Evol. Biol. 26: 483–498. , , , &
- 2011. Ecology, sexual selection and speciation. Ecol. Lett. 14: 591–602. &
- 1990. Ontogenetic shifts in gill-raker morphology and predicted prey capture efficiency of the alewife, Alosa pseudoharengus. Copeia 1: 164–171. &
- 2008. Mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in Europe-evidence for multiple glacial refugia. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 46: 167–182. &
- 2006. Genetic relationships among marine and freshwater populations of the European three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) revealed by microsatellites. Mol. Ecol. 15: 1519–1534. , &
- 2009. Predation's role in repeated phenotypic and genetic divergence of armor in threespine stickleback. Evolution 63: 127–138.
- 2010. Specialization of trophic position and habitat use by sticklebacks in an adaptive radiation. Ecology 91: 1025–1034. , &
- 1963. Animal Species and Evolution, 1st edn. Harvard University Press, Cambridge.
- 2003. Variation in trophic shift for stable isotope ratios of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur. Oikos 102: 378–390. , , &
- 2004. GENOTYPE and GENODIVE: two programs for the analysis of genetic diversity of asexual organisms. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4: 792–794. &
- 2001. Comparison of genetic differentiation at marker loci and quantitative traits. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 892–903. &
- 2004. Changes in morphological characteristics of an introduced population of the threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus in Lake Towada, northern Japan. Ichthyol. Res. 51: 295–300. &
- 2012. Repeated lake-stream divergence in stickleback life history within a central European lake basin. PLoS ONE 7: e50620. , &
- 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89: 583–590.
- 2012. Ecological Speciation, 1st edn. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2004. Does gene flow constrain adaptive divergence or vice versa? A test using ecomorphology and sexual isolation in Timema cristinae walking-sticks. Evolution 58: 102–112. &
- 2008. Ecological niche dimensionality and the evolutionary diversification of stick insects. PLoS ONE 3: e1907. &
- 2009. Ecological explanations for (incomplete) speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24: 145–156. , &
- 2006. Quantifying resource partitioning in centrarchids with stable isotope analysis. Limnol. Oceanogr. 51: 1038–1044. , &
- 2001. The genetic architecture of divergence between threespine stickleback species. Nature 414: 901–905. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity's impacts on diversification and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25: 459–467. , , , , &
- 2006. Allometry and selection in a novel predator-prey system: Australian snakes and the invading cane toad. Oikos 112: 122–130. &
- 2002. Using stable isotopes to estimate trophic position models methods and assumptions. Ecology 83: 703–718.
- 2008. Adaptive evolution in invasive species. Trends Plant Sci. 13: 288–294. , , , &
- R Development Core Team 2012. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL www.r-project.org.
- 2008. Disentangling interactions between adaptive divergence and gene flow when ecology drives diversification. Ecol. Lett. 11: 624–636. &
- 2013. Parallel and nonparallel ecological, morphological and genetic divergence in lake-stream stickleback from a single catchment. J. Evol. Biol. 26: 186–204. , &
- 1980. Spine deficiency and polymorphism in a population of Gasterosteus aculeatus: an adaptation to predators? Can. J. Zool. 58: 1232–1244.
- 1994. Predators and morphological evolution in threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A. Bell & S.A. Foster, eds), pp. 240–276. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1985. Multivariate differentiation of parapatric and allopatric populations of threespine stickleback in the Sangan River watershed, Queen-Charlotte-Islands. Can. J. Zool. 63: 2944–2951. , &
- 2000. Trade offs in habitat-specific foraging efficiency and the nascent adaptive divergence of sticklebacks in lakes. Behaviour 137: 865–888.
- 2012. Genome divergence during evolutionary diversification as revealed in replicate lake-stream stickleback population pairs. Mol. Ecol. 21: 2852–2862. , , &
- 2006. TPSDIG2 version 2.10. Distributed by the author. Department of Ecology and 937 Evolution, New York State University, Stony Brook, NY.
- 2009. Contemporary evolution of reproductive isolation and phenotypic divergence in sympatry along a migratory divide. Curr. Biol. 19: 2097–2101. , , &
- 2000. Natural selection and parallel speciation in sympatric sticklebacks. Science 287: 306–308. , , &
- 1992. The arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus in Thingvallavatn. Oikos 64: 305–351. , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation, 2nd edn. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106(Suppl 1): 9955–9962. &
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 140: 85–108. &
- 2008. Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish. Nature 455: 620–626. , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Widespread evidence for incipient ecological speciation: a meta-analysis of isolation-by-ecology. Ecol. Lett. 16: 940–950. &
- 1973. Gene flow and selection in a cline. Genetics 75: 733–756.
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236: 787–792.
- 2008. Assortative mating by diet in a phenotypically unimodal but ecologically variable population of stickleback. Am. Nat. 172: 733–739. &
- 1993. Population structure in Daphnia obtusa – quantitative genetic and allozymic variation. Genetics 135: 367–374.
- 2009. Genetic distance between species predicts novel trait expression in their hybrids. Evolution 63: 884–897. &
- 2000. Historical contingency and ecological determinism interact to prime speciation in sticklebacks, Gasterosteus. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267: 2375–2384. &
- 2006. Divergent selection on opsins drives incipient speciation in Lake Victoria cichlids. PLoS Biol. 4: e433. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. When can ecological speciation be detected with neutral loci? Mol. Ecol. 19: 2301–2314. &
- 2010. Lateral line diversity among ecologically divergent threespine stickleback populations. J. Exp. Biol. 213: 108–117. &
- 2011. What invasive species reveal about the rate and form of contemporary phenotypic change in nature. Am. Nat. 177: 496–509.
- 2008. A test of the “Flexible stem” model of evolution: ancestral plasticity, genetic accommodation, and morphological divergence in the threespine stickleback radiation. Am. Nat. 172: 449–462. , , , &
- 2010. Ecological opportunity and the origin of adaptive radiations. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 1581–1596. , , , , , et al.