Data deposited at Dryad: doi:10.5061/dryad.f0824
Incipient habitat race formation in an amphibian
Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Author. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2014 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 27, Issue 3, pages 585–592, March 2014
How to Cite
Van Buskirk, J. (2014), Incipient habitat race formation in an amphibian. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 27: 585–592. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12327
- Issue online: 19 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2013
- Swiss NSF
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics Int. 11: 36–42. , &
- 2007. Asexuality and polyploidy in Daphnia from the tropical Andes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 52: 2079–2088. , , , &
- 1995. Interaction between food availability and predation mortality mediated by adaptive behavior. Ecology 76: 2230–2234. &
- 2006. Sympatric speciation in Nicaraguan crater lake cichlid fish. Nature 439: 719–723. , , , &
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1619–1626. &
- 2010. Breakdown in postmating isolation and the collapse of a species pair through hybridization. Am. Nat. 175: 11–26. , &
- 2012. The effects of migration and drift on local adaptation to a heterogeneous environment. J. Evol. Biol. 25: 1351–1363. , &
- 2007. Sympatric speciation: models and empirical evidence. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38: 459–487. &
- 2012. Phenotypic and genetic divergence among harbour porpoise populations associated with habitat regions in the North Sea and adjacent seas. J. Evol. Biol. 25: 674–681. , , , , , et al.
- 1999. On the origin of species by sympatric speciation. Nature 400: 354–357. &
- 2002. Host races in plant-feeding insects and their importance in sympatric speciation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 357: 471–492. &
- 2004. Genomic evidence for divergence with gene flow in host races of the larch budmoth. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271: 97–105. , &
- 2010. Polygyny, census, and effective population size in the threatened frog, Rana latastei. Anim. Conserv. 13: 82–89. , , &
- 1950. Gene frequencies in a cline determined by selection and diffusion. Biometrics 6: 353–361.
- 2011. Genetic differentiation among sympatric cuckoo host races: males matter. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 278: 1639–1645. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Ecological specialization correlates with genotypic differentiation in sympatric host-populations of the pea aphid. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 392–401. , , &
- 2003. Multilocus models of sympatric speciation: Bush versus Rice versus Felsenstein. Evolution 57: 1735–1746.
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19: 201–233. &
- 2000. A set of CA repeat microsatellite markers derived from the pool frog, Rana lessonae. Mol. Ecol. 9: 2173–2175. , , &
- 2003. Models of speciation: what have we learned in 40 years? Evolution 57: 2197–2215.
- 2004. Fitness Landscapes and the Origin of Species. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16: 183–190.
- 2003. Genetic differentiation and habitat preference of flowering-time variants within Gymnadenia conopsea. Heredity 91: 284–292. &
- 1948. The theory of a cline. J. Genet. 19: 277–284.
- 2002. SPAGeDi: a versatile computer program to analyse spatial genetic structure at the individual or population levels. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2: 618–620. &
- 1999. Post-glacial re-colonization of European biota. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68: 87–112.
- 1986. Genetic complexity of host-selection behavior in Drosophila. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 83: 2148–2151.
- 2008. Form, function, and fitness: pathways to survival. Evolution 62: 1243–1251. , &
- 1998. Maternal effects, developmental plasticity, and life history evolution: an amphibian model. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (T.A. Mousseau, C.W. Fox, eds), pp. 244–260. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 1996. Sympatric speciation driven by beneficial mutations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1515–1520.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 1982. Rapid origin of sexual isolation and character divergence in a cline. Evolution 36: 213–223.
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 183–189.
- 1966. The maintenance of genetic polymorphism in a spatially heterogeneous environment: variation on a theme by Howard Levine. Am. Nat. 100: 585–589. &
- 2010. A test of the sympatric host race formation hypothesis in Neodiprion (Hymenoptera: Diprionidae). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 277: 3131–3138. &
- 1998. Host-race formation in the common cuckoo. Science 282: 471–472. , &
- 2010. Isolation by environmental distance in mobile marine species: molecular ecology of Franciscana dolphins at their southern range. Mol. Ecol. 19: 2212–2228. , , , &
- 2011. Isolation by time and habitat and coexistence of distinct host races of the common cuckoo. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 676–684. , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Die Amphibien Europas. Franckh-Kosmos Verlag, Stuttgart. &
- 2005. Reproductive isolation caused by natural selection against immigrants from divergent habitats. Evolution 59: 705–719. , &
- 2008. Heterogeneous genomic differentiation between walking-stick ecotypes: “isolation by adaptation” and multiple roles for divergent selection. Evolution 62: 316–336. , &
- R Core Development Team 2013. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2008. Disentangling interactions between adaptive divergence and gene flow when ecology drives diversification. Ecol. Lett. 6: 624–636. &
- 2013. Strong selection barriers explain microgeographic adaptation in wild salamander populations. Evolution 67: 1729–1740. &
- 2013. Fine-grained adaptive divergence in an amphibian: genetic basis of phenotypic divergence and the role of nonrandom gene flow in restricting effective migration among wetlands. Mol. Ecol. 22: 1322–1340. , , , &
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145: 1219–1228.
- SAS Institute 1990. SAS STAT User's Guide. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- 2006. Sympatric speciation in palms on an oceanic island. Nature 441: 210–213. , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 1994. Activity level and the susceptibility of anuran larvae to predation. Anim. Behav. 47: 465–468.
- 1990. Behavioral and life historical responses of larval American toads to an odonate predator. Ecology 71: 2313–2322. &
- 1973. Gene flow and selection in a cline. Genetics 75: 733–756.
- 1978. Spatial patterns in the distributions of polygenic characters. J. Theor. Biol. 70: 213–228.
- 1991. Inbreeding coefficients and coalescence times. Genet. Res. 58: 167–175.
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of resource polymorphisms in fishes, amphibians, and birds. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27: 111–133. &
- 1978. Spatial autocorrelation in biology. I. Methodology. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 10: 199–228. &
- 2003. Speciation by host switch in brood parasitic indigobirds. Nature 424: 928–931. , &
- 2005. Escape behaviour and ultimate causes of specific induced defences in an anuran tadpole. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 180–190. , , , , &
- 2011. Factors influencing progress toward sympatric speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 2186–2196. &
- 1980. Frequency-dependent selection, disruptive selection, and the evolution of reproductive isolation. Am. Nat. 116: 621–641.
- 2005. Local and landscape influence on amphibian occurrence and abundance. Ecology 86: 1936–1947.
- 2009. Natural variation in morphology of larval amphibians: phenotypic plasticity in nature? Ecol. Monogr. 79: 681–705.
- 2012. Permeability of the landscape matrix between amphibian breeding sites. Ecol. Evol. 2: 3160–3167.
- 2005. Habitat specialization and adaptive phenotypic divergence of anuran populations. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 596–608. &
- 2000. Functional mechanisms of an inducible defence in tadpoles: morphology and behaviour influence mortality risk from predation. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 336–347. &
- 1998. Selection for phenotypic plasticity in Rana sylvatica tadpoles. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 65: 301–328. &
- 2000. Predator-induced plasticity in larval newts: trade-offs, selection, and variation in nature. Ecology 81: 3009–3028. &
- 1997. Natural selection for environmentally induced phenotypes in tadpoles. Evolution 51: 1983–1992. , &
- 2003. The lure effect, tadpole tail shape, and the target of dragonfly strikes. J. Herp. 37: 192–196. , , , &
- 1999. Reproductive isolation between sympatric races of pea aphids. I. Gene flow restriction and habitat choice. Evolution 53: 1446–1457.
- 2000. Reproductive isolation between divergent races of pea aphids on two hosts. II. Selection against migrants and hybrids in the parental environments. Evolution 54: 1626–1637. , &
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38: 1358–1370. &
- 1993. Ecological consequences of the trade-off between growth and mortality rates mediated by foraging activity. Am. Nat. 142: 242–272. &
- 2011. G'ST and D do not replace FST. Mol. Ecol. 20: 1083–1091.
- 2004. Geometric Morphometrics for Biologists. Elsevier, New York, NY. , , &