Data deposited at Dryad: doi:10.5061/dryad.rk13d
Unravelling the effects of contemporary and historical range expansion on the distribution of genetic diversity in the damselfly Coenagrion scitulum
Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2014 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 27, Issue 4, pages 748–759, April 2014
How to Cite
Swaegers, J., Mergeay, J., Therry, L., Bonte, D., Larmuseau, M. H. D. and Stoks, R. (2014), Unravelling the effects of contemporary and historical range expansion on the distribution of genetic diversity in the damselfly Coenagrion scitulum. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 27: 748–759. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12347
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 16 OCT 2013
- KU Leuven Centre of Excellence Financing on ‘Eco- and socio-evolutionary dynamics’. Grant Number: PF/2010/07
- Fund for Scientific Research (FWO) Flanders
- 2007. Longitudinal patterns in species richness and genetic diversity in European oaks and oak gall wasps. In: Phylogeography of Southern European Refugia (S. Weiss & N. Ferrand, eds), pp. 127–151. Springer, New York. , &
- 1997. Evolution of coalescence times, genetic diversity and structure during colonization. Theor. Popul. Biol. 51: 148–164. , , &
- 2000. Phylogeography: The History and Formation of Species. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- 1998. Pleistocene phylogeographic effects on avian populations and the speciation process. Proc. R. Soc. B. 265: 457–463. &
- 2009. On the relationship between population differentiation and sampling effort: is more always better? Oikos 118: 1127–1129. &
- 2013. Ancient DNA identifies post-glacial recolonisation, not recent bottlenecks, as the primary driver of contemporary mtDNA phylogeography and diversity in Scandinavian brown bears. Divers. Distrib. 19: 245–256. , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Rapid morphological radiation and convergence among races of the butterfly Heliconius erato inferred from patterns of mitochondrial DNA evolution. Proc. R. Soc. B. 91: 6491–6495.
- 2005. Life-cycle phenology of some aquatic insects: implications for pond conservation. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst. 15: 559–571. &
- 2012. Phylogeography of the cold-water barnacle Chthamalus challengeri in the north-western Pacific: effect of past population expansion and contemporary gene flow. J. Biogeogr. 39: 1819–1835. , , , , &
- 2000. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 9: 1657–1659. , &
- 2012. Large-scale longitudinal gradients of genetic diversity: a meta-analysis across six phyla in the Mediterranean basin. Ecol. Evol. 2: 2600–2614. , &
- 1999. Dragonflies: Behaviour and Ecology of Odonata. Harley Books, Colchester.
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144: 2001–2014. &
- 1984. Group selection for a polygenic behavioral trait: estimating the degree of population subdivision. PNAS 81: 6073–6077. & .
- 2001. Range shifts and adaptive responses to Quaternary climate change. Science 292: 673–679. &
- 2005. Spatiotemporal allozyme variation in the damselfly, Lestes viridis (Odonata: Zygoptera): gene flow among permanent and temporary ponds. Genetica 124: 137–144. , , , &
- 2006. Field Guide to the Dragonflies of Britain and Europe. British Wildlife Publishing, Oxford, UK. &
- 1994. Atlas préliminaire des Odonates de France. Secretariat de la Faune et de la Flore (Hrsg.): Collection Patrimoines naturels (Paris) 16: 1–92. , , , &
- 2008. Genetic variation across species’ geographical ranges: the central-marginal hypothesis and beyond. Mol. Ecol. 17: 1170–1188. , &
- 2005. Highways block gene flow and cause a rapid decline in genetic diversity of desert bighorn sheep. Ecol. Lett. 8: 1029–1038. , , , , &
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14: 2611–2620. , &
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform Online 1: 47–50. &
- 2006. Identifying the environmental factors that determine the genetic structure of populations. Genetics 174: 875–891. &
- 2011. The genetic signature of rapid range expansion by flying squirrels in response to contemporary climate warming. Glob. Change Biol. 17: 1760–1769. , , , &
- 2006. Genetic signature of anthropogenic population collapse in Orang-utans. PLoS Biol. 4: e25. , , , , &
- 2012. Incorporating latitudinal and central-marginal trends in assessing genetic variation across species ranges. Mol. Ecol. 21: 5396–5403.
- 2013. Genetic diversity and differentiation in a wide ranging anadromous fish, American shad (Alosa sapidissima), is correlated with latitude. Mol. Ecol. 22: 1558–1573. , &
- 1996. Some genetic consequences of ice ages, and their role in divergence and speciation. Biol. J. Linnean Soc. 58: 247–276.
- 1999. Post-glacial re-colonization of European biota. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68: 87–112.
- 2000. The genetic legacy of the Quaternary ice ages. Nature 405: 907–913.
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptations at species’ range margins. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 56: 143–159. , &
- 2010. Range-wide distribution of genetic diversity in the North American tree Juglans cinerea: a product of range shifts, not ecological marginality or recent population decline. Mol. Ecol. 19: 4876–4891. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Range-wide phylogeography of the European temperate-montane herbaceous plant Meum athamanticum Jacq.: evidence for periglacial persistence. J. Biogeogr. 36: 1588–1599. , , &
- 1999. Correlation of pairwise genetic and geographic distance measure: inferring the relative influences of gene flow and drift on distribution of genetic variability. Evolution 53: 1898–1914. &
- 2011. Cross-species amplification and development of microsatellites for six species of European Coenagrionid damselflies. Conserv. Genet. Resour. 4: 191–196. , &
- 2008. Interactions between environmental factors can hide isolation by distance patterns: a case study of Ctenomys rionegrensis in Uruguay. Proc. R. Soc. B. 275: 2633–2638. &
- 2006. Differentiation of the dragonfly genus Davidius (Odonata: Gomphidae) in Japan inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear gene genealogies. Zoolog. Sci. 23: 1–8. &
- 2009. Statistical Phylogeography. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40: 593–612.
- 2012. Evolution and biodiversity: the evolutionary basis of biodiversity and its potential for adaptation to global change. Evol. Appl. 5: 103–106. &
- 1983. Accuracy of estimated phylogenetic trees from molecular data. J. Mol. Evol. 19: 153–170. , &
- 2004. Micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4: 535–538. , , &
- 2010. Revisiting the insect mitochondrial molecular clock: the mid-Aegean trench calibration. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27: 1659–1672. , &
- 2011. Migrant and dispersive dragonflies in Britain during 2010. J. British Dragonfly Soc. 27: 69–79.
- 2013. The impact of global climate change on genetic diversity within populations and species. Mol. Ecol. 22: 925–946. , , &
- 2006. Genalex 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6: 288–295. &
- 2009. The rediscovery of Dainty Damselfly Coenagrion scitulum (Ramb.) in Jersey. Atropos 38: 3–5. &
- 2010. Distinguishing between population bottleneck and population subdivision by a Bayesian model choice procedure. Mol. Ecol. 19: 4648–4660. , &
- 2004. GENECLASS2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. J. Hered. 95: 536–539. , , , , &
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155: 945–959. , &
- 2005. Support from the relationship of genetic and geographic distance in human populations for a serial founder effect originating in Africa. PNAS 102: 15942–15947. , , , , &
- 1972. Measures of genetic similarity and genetic distance. Studies in Genetics VII. Univ. of Texas Publ 7213: 145–153.
- 1992. Population growth makes waves in the distribution of pairwise genetic differences. Mol. Biol. Evol. 9: 552–569. &
- 2012. Phylogeography of the Temminck's Stint (Calidris temminckii): historical vicariance but little present genetic structure in a regionally endangered Palearctic wader. Divers. Distrib. 18: 704–716. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. GENEPOP ‘ 007: a complete re-implementation of the GENEPOP software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8: 103–106.
- 2012. Evolution in biodiversity policy - current gaps and future needs. Evol. Appl. 5: 202–218. &
- 2010. A case for incorporating phylogeography and landscape genetics into species distribution modelling approaches to improve climate adaptation and conservation planning. Divers. Distrib. 16: 343–353. &
- 2006. Microsatellites for ecologists: a practical guide to using and evaluating microsatellite markers. Ecol. Lett. 9: 615–629. &
- 2013. Genetic isolation by environment or distance: which pattern of gene flow is most common? Evolution 68: 1–15. , &
- 2013. Gene flow maintains genetic diversity and colonization potential in recently range-expanded populations of an Oriental bird, the Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis, Aves: Pycnonotidae). Divers. Distrib. 119: 1248–1262. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Refugia revisited: individualistic responses of species in space and time. Proc. R. Soc. B. 277: 661–671. , , &
- 2012. Microsatellite marker development and putative SNP detection for a northward expanding damselfly species using next generation sequencing. Conserv. Genet. Resour. 4: 1079–1084. , , , , &
- 2013. Rapid range expansion increases genetic differentiation while hardly reducing genetic diversity in a damselfly. Heredity 111: 422–429. , , , , &
- 2008. ADZE: a rarefaction approach for counting alleles private to combinations of populations. Bioinformatics 24: 2498–2504. , &
- 1998. Comparative phylogeography and postglacial colonization routes in Europe. Mol. Ecol. 7: 453–464. , , &
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics 123: 585–595.
- 2010. POPTREE2: software for constructing population trees from allele frequency data and computing other population statistics with Windows interface. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27: 747–752. , &
- 2013. Glacial survival and post-glacial recolonization of an arctic-alpine freshwater insect (Arcynopteryx dichroa, Plecoptera, Perlodidae) in Europe. J. Biogeogr. 40: 236–248. , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Understanding the genetic effects of recent habitat fragmentation in the context of evolutionary history: phylogeography and landscape genetics of a southern California endemic Jerusalem cricket (Orthoptera: Stenopelmatidae: Stenopelmatus). Mol. Ecol. 16: 977–992. , , &
- 1988. Extinction and recolonization: their effects on the genetic differentiation of local populations. Evolution 42: 995–1005. &
- 2010. De gaffelwaterjuffer (Coenagrion scitulum), terug van weggeweest in Noordwest-Europa. Brachytron 13: 19–25. &
- 2010. Patterns of spatial genetic structure and diversity at the onset of a rapid range expansion: colonisation of the UK by the small red-eyed damselfly Erythromma viridulum. Biol. Invasions. 12: 3887–3903. , &
- 2011. Environmental and climatic determinants of molecular diversity and genetic population structure in a coenagrionid damselfly. PLoS ONE 6: e20440. Public Library of Science. , , , &
- 2011. Discordant patterns of geographic variation between mitochondrial and microsatellite markers in the Mexican black iguana (Ctenosaura pectinata) in a contact zone. J. Biogeogr. 38: 1394–1405. , &
- 2009. Disentangling the effects of historic vs. contemporary landscape structure on population genetic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18: 3593–3602. &