aThis paper was presented at the 6th World Fisheries Congress, Edinburgh, in 2012 (sponsored by the FSBI). As a result, its content may not fall within the normal scope of the Journal of Fish Biology.
Meeting the food and nutrition needs of the poor: the role of fish and the opportunities and challenges emerging from the rise of aquaculturea
Version of Record online: 30 AUG 2013
© 2013 World Fish. Journal of Fish Biology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of The Fisheries Society of the British Isles
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Journal of Fish Biology
Special Issue: Selected Papers from the Sixth World Fisheries Congress
Volume 83, Issue 4, pages 1067–1084, October 2013
How to Cite
Beveridge, M. C. M., Thilsted, S. H., Phillips, M. J., Metian, M., Troell, M. and Hall, S. J. (2013), Meeting the food and nutrition needs of the poor: the role of fish and the opportunities and challenges emerging from the rise of aquaculturea. Journal of Fish Biology, 83: 1067–1084. doi: 10.1111/jfb.12187
- Issue online: 1 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 AUG 2013
- NF Nereus Programme
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency
- 2004). Effects of adding the small fish punti (Puntius sophore) and mola (Ambylpharyngodon mola) to a polycultures of large carp. Aquaculture Research 35, 124–133. , & (
- 1976). Iron absorption from Southeast Asian rice-based meals. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29, 219–225. & (
- 1999). Feeding with microbial flocs by tilapia in minimal discharge bio-flocs technology ponds. Aquaculture 264, 140–147. (
- 2009). Historical warnings of future food insecurity with unprecedented seasonal heat. Science 323, 240–244. & (
- 2009). Fillet yield and fat content in common carp (Cyprinus carpio) produced in three Austrian carp farms with different culture methodologies. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 25, 591–594. & (
- 2010). Barriers to aquaculture development as a pathway to poverty alleviation and food security. In Advancing the Aquaculture Agenda: Workshop Proceedings (Andrews-Couicha, E., Franz, N., Ravet, K., Schmidt, C. C. & Strange, T., eds), pp. 345–359. Paris: OECD Publishing. , , & (
- 2008). Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Lancet 371, 243–260. , , , , , , & (
- 2008). African aquaculture; realizing the potential. Food Policy 33, 371–385. , & (
- 2011). Preliminary notes on forecasting country's future demand for fish. FAO Aquaculture Newsletter 47, 16–17. (
- 2006). Water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion. In Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries, 2nd edn (Jamison, D. T., Breman, J. G., Measham, A. R., Alleyne, G., Claeson, M., Evans, D. B., Jha, P., Mills, A. & Musgrove, P., eds), pp. 771–792. New York, NY: Oxford University Press and Washington, DC: World Bank. & (
- 2006). Stunting, wasting and micronutrient related disorders. In Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries, 2nd edn (Jamison, D. T., Breman, J. G., Measham, A. R., Alleyne, G., Claeson, M., Evans, D. B., Jha, P., Mills, A. & Musgrove, P., eds), pp. 551–567. New York, NY: Oxford University Press and Washington, DC: World Bank. , , , & (
- 2011). Global trade of fisheries products: implications for marine ecosystems and their services. In Ecosystem Services and Global Trade of Natural Resources (Koellner, T., ed), pp. 120–147. London: Routledge. , , & (
- 2006). WorldFish Center. Impact of the development and dissemination of integrated aquaculture technologies in Malawi. In International Research on Natural Resource Management (Waibel, H. & Zilberman, D., eds), pp. 118–140. Rome: FAO and Cambridge: CAB International. , , , , , & (
- 2012). Abundance. The Future is Better than You Think. New York, NY: Free Press. & (
- FAO (2011a). The State of Food Insecurity in the World. Rome: FAO.
- FAO (2011b). FAO Yearbook. Fishery and Aquaculture Statistics. Rome: FAO.
- FAO (2012a). The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2010. Rome: FAO.
- FAO–FISHSTAT. (2012). FAO Fisheries Department, Fishery Information, Data and Statistics Unit. FishstatJ, a Tool for Fishery Statistical Analysis, Release 2.0.0. Global Capture Fisheries Production 1950–2010, Global Aquaculture Production 1950–2010, Global Commodities Production and Trade 1978–2009. Rome: FAO.
- FAO–WHO (2011). Report of the Joint FAO–WHO Expert Consultation on the Risks and Benefits Associated with Fish Consumption. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper 978.
- 2012). Factors affecting consumers' beliefs about aquaculture. Aquaculture Economics and Management 16, 22–39. & (
- 2011). Solutions for a cultivated planet. Nature 478, 337–342. doi: 10.1038/nature10452 , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1996). Food choice: a conceptual model of the process. Appetite 26, 247–266. , , , & (
- GAFRD (2010). Fisheries Statistics Year Book. Cairo: General Authority for Fisheries Resources Development.
- 2009). The demand for fish: a meta-analysis of the own-price elasticity. Aquaculture Economics and Management 13, 235–245. doi: 10.1080/13657300903123985 (
- 2003). Experiences of a community-based dietary intervention to enhance micronutrient adequacy of diets low in animal source foods and high in phytate: a case study in rural Malawian children. Journal of Nutrition 133, 3992S–3999S. , , , & (
- 2007). Development potential in the first 5 years for children in developing countries. Lancet 369, 60–70. (
- 2002). Comparison of wild and cultured gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata); composition, appearance and seasonal variations. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 37, 477–484. , , & (
- 1992). Control of chemical composition and food quality attributes of cultured fish. Food Research International 25, 289–307. (
- 2011). Blue Frontiers: Managing the Environmental Costs of Aquaculture. Penang: WorldFish Center. , , , & (
- 2009). Seafood in human nutrition. In Fish, Trade and Development (Wramner, P., Cullberg, M. & Ackefors, H., eds), pp. 325–340. Stockholm: Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry. (
- 1998). Calcium absorption from small soft-boned fish. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology 12, 148–154. , , , , , & (
- 1988). Nutrition of Pond Fishes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (
- 1991). The Composition of Foods. Cambridge: Royal Society of Chemistry. , , , , & (
- 2009). Are dietary recommendations for the use of fish oils sustainable? Canadian Medical Association Journal 180, 633–637. , , , , & (
- 2012). Protein and micronutrient composition of low-value fish products commonly marketed in the Lake Victoria region. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences 7, 521–526. , , , & (
- 2006). Effects of silver carp and small indigenous species on pond ecology and carp polycultures in Bangladesh. Aquaculture 261, 1065–1076. , , & (
- 2006). Polyunsaturated fatty acid content of wild and farmed tilapias in Thailand: effect of aquaculture practices and implications for human nutrition. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 54, 4304–4310. , , , & (
- 2010). Linking small-scale fisheries and aquaculture to household nutritional security: an overview. Food Security 2, 343–357. & (
- 2011). The potential role of small fish species in improving micronutrient deficiencies in developing countries: building evidence. Public Health Nutrition 14, 1927–1938. doi: 10.1017/S1368980011000814 & (
- Klennert, M. (Ed) (2009). Achieving Food and Nutrition Security, 3rd edn. Feldafing: InWEnt.
- 2000). Whole small fish as a rich calcium source. British Journal of Nutrition 83, 191–196. , , & (
- 2008). Towards fish lipid nutrigenomics: current state and prospects for fin-fish aquaculture. Reviews in Fish and Fisheries Science 16, 73–94. Available at doi: 10.1080/10641260802325278/ , , , , , & (
- 1997). Influence of food choice perceived to be important by national representative samples of adults in the European Union. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 51 Suppl. 2, S8–S15. , , , , , & (
- 2012). Whitefish wars: Pangasius, politics and consumer confusion in Europe. Marine Policy 36, 738–745. , , , , & (
- 2012). Value Chain Analysis of Egyptian Aquaculture. Project Report 2011-54. Penang: WorldFish Center. , , , , , , , & (
- 2012). Can marine fisheries and aquaculture meet fish demand from a growing human population in a changing climate? Global Environmental Change 22, 795–806. doi: org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2012.03.003 , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2009). Is tilapia the same product worldwide or are markets segmented? Aquaculture Economics and Management 13, 138–154. & (
- 2011). Resources for fish feed in future mariculture. Aquaculture Environment Interactions 1, 187–200. (
- 2011). Fish under exercise. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry 37, 259–287. & (
- 2002). Optimum harvest strategies: practice versus theory. Aquaculture Economics and Management 6, 295–308. Available at doi: 10.1080/13657300209380320/ , & (
- 2011). Reconciling food production and biodiversity conservation: land sharing and land sparing compared. Science 333, 1289–1291. , , & (
- 2000). Integration of aquaculture into smallholder farming systems for increased food security and household nutrition. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 21, 466–471. & (
- 2004). The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Wharton School Publishing. (
- 2010). Channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, size and feed conversion ratio. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 41, 829–833. & (
- 2002). High vitamin A content in some small indigenous fish species in Bangladesh: perspectives for food-based strategies to reduce vitamin A deficiency. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 53, 425–437. , , & (
- 2003). Small fish is an important dietary source of vitamin A and calcium in rural Bangladesh. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 54, 329–339. , & (
- 2007a). The role of fish in food-based strategies to combat vitamin A and mineral deficiencies in developing countries. Journal of Nutrition 137, 1106–1109. , , & (
- 2007b). Iron content in common Cambodian fish species: perspectives for dietary iron intake in poor, rural households. Food Chemistry 104, 1226–1235. , , , , , & (
- 2007c). Freshwater fish as a dietary source of vitamin A in Cambodia. Food Chemistry 103, 1104–1111. , , , & (
- 2007d). Linking human nutrition and fisheries: incorporating micronutrient dense, small indigenous fish species in carp polyculture production in Bangladesh. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28 (Suppl.), S280–S293. , , , (
- The Royal Society (2012). People and the Planet. The Royal Society Policy Center Report 12/1. London: The Royal Society.
- 2008). Age-based preventative targeting of food assistance and behaviour change and communication for reduction of childhood undernutrition in Haiti: a cluster randomized trial. Lancet 371, 588–595. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2010). Sustainability and global seafood. Science 327, 784–786. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003). Global production and consumption of animal source foods. Journal of Nutrition 133, 4048S–4053S. (
- 1993). The nutritive value of sun-dried pelagic fish from the Rift Valley in Africa. Journal of Science and Agriculture and Food 63, 439–443. , , , & (
- 2011). Creation of a gilded trap by the high economic value of the Maine lobster fishery. Conservation Biology 25, 904–912. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2008). The science behind dietary omega-3 fatty acids. Canadian Medical Association Journal 178, 177–180. (
- 2008). Global overview on the use of fish meal and fish oil in industrially compounded aquafeeds: trends and future prospects. Aquaculture 285, 146–158. & (
- 2009). Fishing for feed or fishing for food: increasing global competition for small pelagic forage fish. Ambio 38, 294–302. & (
- 2012). The potential of nutrient-rich small fish species in aquaculture to improve human nutrition and health. In Farming the Waters for People and Food. Proceedings of the Global Conference on Aquaculture 2010, Phuket, Thailand. 22–25 September 2010 (Subasinghe, R. P., Arthur, J. R., Bartley, D. M., De Silva, S. S., Halwart, M., Hishamunda, N., Mohan, C. V. & Sorgeloos, P., eds), pp. 57–73. Bangkok: NACA and Rome: FAO. (
- 1997). The role of small indigenous fish species in food and nutrition security in Bangladesh. Naga, ICLARM Quarterly 20, 82–84. , & (
- 2002). Changing significance of inland fisheries for livelihoods and nutrition in Bangladesh. Journal of Crop Production 6, 249–317. , , & (
- 2011). Limiting size of fish fillets at the center of the plate improves the sustainability of aquaculture production. Sustainability 3, 957–964. , & (
- 2000). Overcoming micronutrient deficiencies in developing countries: is there a role for agriculture. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 21, 356–360. (
- 2010). Estimating employment in world aquaculture. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Newsletter 45, 24–25. , & (
- 2007). Perceived importance of sustainability and ethics related to fish: a consumer behaviour perspective. Ambio 36, 580–585. , , , & (
- 1990). Lower ratios of ω-3 to ω-6 fatty acids in cultured than in wild fish. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 51, 1–2. & (
- 1991) Seasonal variation in fat content of mackerel (Scomber scombrus L.) caught in the western English Channel. Fisheries Research Technical Report 91. Lowestoft: Directorate of Fisheries Research. Available at http://cefas.defra.gov.uk/publications/techrep/tech91.pdfhttp://cefas.defra.gov.uk/publications/techrep/tech91.pdf . (
- 2008). The content of favorable and unfavorable polyunsaturated fatty acids found in commonly eaten fish. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 108, 1178–1185. , , , , & (
- 1991). Intra-household food and nutrient allocation. Nutrition Research Reviews 4, 69–81. (
- World Bank (2010). The Hidden Harvests: the Global Contribution of Capture Fisheries. Washington, DC: World Bank, Agriculture and Rural Development Department, Sustainable Development Network.
- 2009). Omega-6 (n-6) and omega-3 (n-3) fatty acids in tilapia and human health: a review. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 60, 203–211. (
- van der Zijpp, A. J., Verreth, J. A. J., Tri, L. Q., van Mensvoort, M. E. F., Bosma, R. H. & Beveridge, M. C. M. (Eds) (2007). Fishponds in Farming Systems. Wageningen: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- 2011). Aquaculture, Fisheries, Poverty and Food Security. Working Paper 2011-65. Penang: WorldFish Center. Available at http://www.worldfishcenter.org/resource_centre/WF_2971.pdf/ (last accessed 11 June 2013). (
- FAO (2012b). Food Outlook—Global Market Analysis. Rome: FAO Trade and Markets Division. Available at http://www.fao.org/giews/english/fo/index.htm/
- FAO–FAOSTAT (2013). FAO Agriculture Department, Agricultural Production, Livestock Primary. Total world meat 1970–2010, Food Balance Sheets. Rome: FAO. Available at http://faostat.fao.org/site/610/default.aspx#ancor/ (last accessed 9 April 2013).
- UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2011). World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision, Highlights and Advance Tables. Working Paper No. ESA/P/WP.220. Available at http://esa.un.org/wpp/documentation/pdf/WPP2010_Highlights.pdf/
- UNHRC (2012). The Rights to Fish for Food. New York, NY: United Nations Human Rights Commission. Available at http://www.srfood.org/images/stories/pdf/officialreports/20121030_fish_en.pdf/