Use of Different Proteases to Obtain Whey Protein Concentrate Hydrolysates with Inhibitory Activity toward Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme
Article first published online: 15 JUL 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Food Biochemistry
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 102–109, February 2014
How to Cite
Morais, H. A., Silvestre, M. P.C., Amorin, L. L., Silva, V. D.M., Silva, M. R., Simões e Silva, A. C. and Silveira, J. N. (2014), Use of Different Proteases to Obtain Whey Protein Concentrate Hydrolysates with Inhibitory Activity toward Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme. Journal of Food Biochemistry, 38: 102–109. doi: 10.1111/jfbc.12032
- Issue published online: 17 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 15 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAR 2013
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPQ)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG)
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- 2005. Angiotensin I-converting-enzyme (ACE)-inhibitory activity of tryptic peptides of ovine β-lactoglobulin and of milk yoghurts obtained by using different starters. Lait 85, 141–152. , , , , , and
- 2011. Production of antioxidant hydrolysates from a whey protein concentrate with thermolysin: Optimization by response surface methodology. LWT – Food Sci. Technol. 44, 9–15. , , , and
- 2007. Effect of heat and enzymatic treatment on the antihypertensive activity of whey protein hydrolysates. Int. Dairy J. 17, 632–640. , and
- 2003. Enzyme-induced gelation of extensively hydrolyzed whey proteins by alcalase: Peptide identification and determination of enzyme specificity. J. Agric. Food Chem. 51, 6300–6308. , , and
- 2008. The possible roles of food-derived bioactive peptides in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. J. Nutr. Biochem. 19, 643–654. , and
- 2007. Preparation of ingredients containing an ACE-inhibitory peptide by tryptic hydrolysis of whey protein concentrates. Int. Dairy J. 17, 481–487. , , , , , , , and
- 2009. Optimization of hydrolysis conditions for the production of the angiotensin-I converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory peptides from whey protein using response surface methodology. Food Chem. 114, 328–333. , and
- 2002. Bacterial alkaline proteases: Molecular approaches and industrial applications. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 59, 15–32. , and
- 2007. Food-derived peptides with biological activity: From research to food application. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 18, 163–169. and
- 2002. Preparation of ovine and caprine β-lactoglobulin hydrolysates with ACE-inhibitory activity. Identification of active peptides from caprine β-lactoglobulin hydrolysed with thermolysin. Int. Dairy J. 12, 805–812. , , and
- 2004. Digestion and absorption. Curr. Paediatr. 14, 605–611. and
- 2007. Yak milk casein as a functional ingredient: Preparation and identification of angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides. J. Dairy Res. 74, 18–25. , , and
- 2004. Angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides derived from food proteins and their physiological and pharmacological effects. Nutr. Res. 24, 469–486. , , and
- 2006. Physiological, chemical and technological aspects of milk-protein-derived peptides with antihypertensive and ACE-inhibitory activity. Int. Dairy J. 16, 1277–1293. , and
- 2007. Vascular effects and antihypertensive properties of k-casein macropeptide. Int. Dairy J. 17, 1473–1477. , , and
- 2008. Bioactive peptides and proteins from foods: Indication for health effects. Eur. J. Nutr. 47, 171–182. , , and
- 1997. Angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory activities of gastric and pancreatic proteinase digests of whey proteins. Int. Dairy J. 7, 299–303. , and
- NC-IUBMB (Nomenclature Committee of the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology) 2011. Enzyme nomenclature: recommendations of the NC-IUBMB on the nomenclature and classification of enzymes by the reactions they catalyse. http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/iubmb/enzyme/ (accessed October 12, 2011).
- 2007a. Fractionation and identification of ACE-inhibitory peptides from α-lactalbumin and β-casein produced by thermolysin-catalysed hydrolysis. Int. Dairy J. 17, 1460–1472. , , and
- 2007b. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitory activity of milk protein hydrolysates: Effect of substrate, enzyme and time of hydrolysis. Int. Dairy J. 17, 488–503. , , , and
- 2008. Serine peptidases: Classification, structure and function. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 65, 1220–1236. and
- PAHO – Pan American Health Organization 2007. Regional Strategy and Plan of Action on an Integrated Approach to the Prevention and Control of Chronic Diseases, Including Diet, Physical Activity and Health, PAHO, Washington, DC.
- 1998. Angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides derived from bovine milk proteins. Int. Dairy J. 8, 325–331. , and
- 2000. Course of Experimental Statistics, 14th Ed., p. 477, Livraria Nobel, Piracicaba, Brazil.
- 2009. ACE-inhibitory activity of tilapia protein hydrolysates. Food Chem. 117, 582–588. and
- 2010. MEROPS: The peptidase database. Nucleic Acids Research. 38, 227–233. , and
- 2010. Censo Brasileiro de Diálise, 2009. J. Bras. Nefrol. 32, 380–384. , , , and
- 2010. Obtenção De Hidrolisados Enzimáticos Do Concentrado Proteico De Soro De Leite Com Alto Teor De Oligopeptídeos E Elevada Atividade Inibitória Sobre A Enzima Conversora De Angiotensina, Utilizando A Pancreatina E A Papaína, Faculdade de Farmácia/Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Dissertação de Mestrado), Belo Horizonte.
- 2011. The renin–angiotensin–aldosterone system in 2011: Role in hypertension and chronic kidney disease. Pediatr. Nephrol. 27, 1835–1845. and
- STATSOFT 2000. Statistic for Windows [Computer program manual]. StatSoft, Inc., Tulsa, OK.
- 2008. Antihypertensive effect of bioactive peptides produced by protease-facilitated lactic acid fermentation of milk. Food Chem. 106, 552–558. , , , and
- 2002. Optimization of the angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition by whey protein hydrolysates using response surface methodology. Int. Dairy J. 12, 813–820. , , and
- 2010. Effect of enzyme type and hydrolysis conditions on the in vitro angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory activity and as content of hydrolysed whey protein isolate. Int. J. Food Sci. and Tech. 45, 807–812. , , , and
- 2002. Improved method for direct high-performance liquid chromatography assay of angiotensin-I-converting enzyme-catalyzed reactions. J. Chromatogr. A 950, 125–130. , and