Synergistic Effect of Propolis and Heat Treatment Leading to Increased Injury to Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Ground Pork
Article first published online: 3 JAN 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Food Safety
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 1–8, February 2014
How to Cite
Kim, Y.-H., Kim, S.-A. and Chung, H.-J. (2014), Synergistic Effect of Propolis and Heat Treatment Leading to Increased Injury to Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Ground Pork. Journal of Food Safety, 34: 1–8. doi: 10.1111/jfs.12088
- Issue published online: 24 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 3 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUN 2013
- Inha University
- 1999. Microbial stress response in minimal processing. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 50, 65–91. and
- 1995. Heat-resistance of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in meat and poultry as affected by product composition. J. Food Sci. 60, 606–610. , and
- 2001. Hepatoprotective and anti-Helicobacter pylori activities of constituents from Brazilian propolis. Phytomedicine 8, 16–23. , , , , , and
- 2002. Influence of various environmental parameters and of detection procedures on the recovery of stressed L. monocytogenes: A review. Food Microbiol. 19, 221–234.
- 1996. Mathematically modeling the repair of heat-injured Listeria monocytogenes as affected by temperature, pH, and salt concentration. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 30, 231–242. , and
- 2005. Antibacterial effects of propolis extracts on pathogenic bacteria. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life 15, 457–464. , and
- 2008. Performance evaluation of aluminum test cell designed for determining the heat resistance of bacterial spores in foods. LWT – Food Sci.Technol. 41, 1351–1359. , and
- 1992. Immunomodulatory action of propolis: IV. Prophylactic activity against gram-negative infections and adjuvant effect of the water-soluble derivative. Vaccine 10, 817–823. , , and
- 1984. Survival and growth characteristics of Escherichia coli associated with hemorrhagic colitis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 48, 855–856. and
- 1995. Use of bioluminescence to model the thermal inactivation of Salmonella typhimurium in the presence of a competitive microflora. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61, 3463–3465. , , , and
- 1999. Differences in thermotolerance of various Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains in a salami matrix. Food Microbiol. 16, 83–91. , , , , , and
- 2008. Antimicrobial effects of Turkish propolis, pollen, and laurel on spoilage and pathogenic food-related microorganisms. J. Med. Food 7, 587–592. and
- 2007. Antimicrobial effect of propolis and other substances against selected endodontic pathogens. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod. 104, 709–716. , , and
- 2001. Factors influencing resuscitation and growth of heat injured Listeria monocytogenes 13–249 in sous vide cooked beef. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 63, 135–147. and
- 1977. Bacterial injury: A review. Can. J. Microbiol. 23, 935–944.
- 2008. Carvacrol and cinnamaldehyde facilitate thermal destruction of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in raw ground beef. J. Food Prot. 71, 1604–1611. and
- 2011. The effect of Korean propolis against foodborne pathogens and transmission electron microscopic examination. New Biotechnol. 28, 713–718. and
- 2007. Influence of cinnamon and clove essential oils on the D-and z-values of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in apple cider. J. Food Prot. 70, 2089–2094. and
- 1997. Thermal inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in cooked turkey products. J. Food Sci. 62, 875–877. , and
- 1993. Synergistic effect of ethanolic extract of propolis and antibiotics on the growth of Staphylococcus aureus. Arzneimittelforschung 43, 607–609. , , , and
- 1997. Effects of gamma-ray and heat treatment on sterilization of Escherichia coli O157:H7. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 29, 1016–1020. , , and
- 2004. Microbial safety of pickled fruits and vegetables and hurdle technology. Int. J. Food Safety 4, 21–32.
- 1985. Hurdle technology applied to meat products of the shelf stable product and intermediate moisture food types. In Properties of Water in Foods in Relation to Quality and Stability ( D. Simatos and J.L. Multon , eds.) pp. 309–329, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- 2000. Basic aspects of food preservation by hurdle technology. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 55, 181–186.
- 1994. A mathematical analysis of microbial inactivation at linearly rising temperatures: Calculation of the temperature rise needed to kill Listeria monocytogenes in different foods and methods for dynamic measurements of D and z-values. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 77, 14–20. and
- 1997. Antimicrobial action of propolis and some of its components: The effects on growth, membrane potential and motility of bacteria. Microbiol. Res. 152, 239–246. , and
- 2011. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of spice essential oils. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 20, 45–53. and
- 1976. Outer membrane of Salmonella typhimurium. Transmembrane diffusion of some hydrophobic substances. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 433, 118–132.
- 2005. Effects of Brazilian and Bulgarian propolis on bactericidal activity of macrophages against Salmonella typhimurium. Int. Immunopharmacol. 5, 359–368. , , and
- 1988. Heat-induced injury in Listeria monocytogenes. J. Ind. Microbiol. 3, 105–110. and
- 2002. Statistical modeling of D- and z- value of E. coli O157:H7 and pH in apple cider containing preservatives. J. Food Sci. 67, 793–796. and
- 1988. Sensitization by heat treatment of Escherichia coli K12 cells to hydrophobic antibacterial compounds. Antimicrob. Agents Chermother. 32, 1680–1683. and
- 1975. Growth inhibition of heated cells of Escherichia coli by tylosin. J. Ferment. Technol. 53, 363–371. , and
- 1985. Destruction of the outer membrane permeability barrier of Escherichia coli by heat treatment. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 50, 298–303. , , , and
- 1999. Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 by combinations of GRAS chemicals and temperature. Food Microbiol. 16, 74–82. , and
- 2010. Control of citrus green and blue molds by Chinese propolis. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 19, 1303–1308. , , , and