Use of Novel Lactic Acid Bacterial Strains with Antagonistic Activity for the Preparation of Safe Indigenous Fermented Dairy Foods (Dahi and Raita)
Article first published online: 6 DEC 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Food Safety
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 26–33, February 2014
How to Cite
Varalakshmi, S., Balasubramanyam, B.V., Surendranath, B., Bagath, M. and Rajendran, D. (2014), Use of Novel Lactic Acid Bacterial Strains with Antagonistic Activity for the Preparation of Safe Indigenous Fermented Dairy Foods (Dahi and Raita). Journal of Food Safety, 34: 26–33. doi: 10.1111/jfs.12091
- Issue published online: 24 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 6 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUL 2013
- National Dairy Research Institute, Indian council of Agricultural Research
- 1997. Review of the sensitivity of different food borne pathogens to fermentation. Food Control. 8, 227–239. and
- 2011. Antagonistic effect of Lactobacillus strains against Escherichia coli and Listeria monocytogenes in milk. J. Dairy Res. 78, 136–143. , and
- 2011. Isolation and identification of lactic acid bacteria from raw cow milk in Khartoum state, Sudan. Int. J. Dairy Sci. 6, 66–71.
- 1992. Transformation of Lactobacillus strains used in meat and vegetable fermentations. Food Res. Int. 25, 253–261. and
- 2006. Advances in Biopreservation, CRC/Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL. and
- 2013. Lactic acid bacteria in biopreservation and the enhancement of the functional quality of bread. In Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology “Lactic Acid Bacteria – R & D for Food, Health and Livestock Purposes” ( M. Kongo , ed.) pp. 155–172, InTech Publishers, Rijeka, Croatia. , and
- 1948. Chemical and microbiological studies on mava. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 1, 49–58. , and
- BIS. 1981. Handbook of Food Analysis. Part XI Dairy Products, Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi, India.
- 2000. Food labelling: Consumer needs. In Food Labelling ( J.R. Blanchfield , ed.) pp. 3–5, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK.
- 1999. Food fermentation: Role of microorganisms in food production and preservation. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 50, 131–149. and
- 2002. The lactic acid bacteria: A literature survey. Crit. Rev. Microbiol. 28, 281–370. , and
- Crirec. 2011. Value added products from milk. http://www.crirec.com/2011/01/value-added-products-from-milk/ (accessed July 7, 2013).
- 2006. Bacteriocins: Biological tools for biopreservation and shelf-life extension. Int. Dairy J. 16, 1058–1071. , , and
- 2005. Biopreservation: A new direction towards food safety. In New Developments in Food Policy, Control and Research ( A.P. Riley , ed.) pp. 31–64, Nova Publishers, Hauppauge, NY. , and
- 2007. Microbial quality assessement of Kuhum-Zaki beverage sold in Girei town of Admawa State, Nigeria. African J. Food Sci. 2, 11–15. and
- 1975. Detection of Lactobacillus acidophilus in feces of humans, pigs, and chickens. Appl. Microbiol. 30, 541–545. , and
- 1997. Lactobacillus sanfrancisco a key sourdough lactic acid bacterium: A review. Food Microbiol. 14, 175–187. and
- 1976. Basic methods. In Laboratory Methods in Food and Dairy Microbiology ( W.F. Harrigan and M.E. McCance , eds.) pp. 1–115, Academic Press, London, UK. and
- 1992. Characterization of two nisin-producing Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis strains isolated from a commercial sauerkraut fermentation. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 58(5), 1477–1483. , and
- 2001. Probiotic bacteria in fermented food: Product characteristics and starter organism. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 73, 374–379.
- 1993. pH homeostasis in lactic acid bacteria. J. Dairy Sci. 76, 2354–2365. and
- 2000. Fermentation and fermented dairy products. In Modern Food Microbiology, 6th Ed. ( J. Sesma , ed.) pp. 113–130, Aspen Publishers, Inc., Gaithersburg, MD.
- 1961. Studies on the pathogenesis of Staphylococcal infection. J. Exp. Med. 113, 249–259.
- 1990. Prevalence of enteropathogenic serogroups of E. coli in milk products samples from Bareilly and their multiple drug resistance. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 43, 337–378.
- 2010. Detection of E. coli and Staphylococcus in milk and milk products in and around Pantnagar. Vet. World 3, 495–496. and
- 1989. Incidence of coliforms in indigenous milk products. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 42, 579–580. and
- 1991. 16/23S rRNA sequencing. In Nucleic Acid Techniques in Bacterial Systematics ( E. Stackcbrandt and M. Goodfellow , eds.) pp. 115–175, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK.
- 1995. The coming of age of probiotics. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 6, 241–245. and
- 2002. A novel area of predictive modelling: Describing the functionality of beneficial microorganisms in foods. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 73, 251–259. , and
- 2003. Review article: Practical implications of lactate and pyruvate metabolism by lactic acid bacteria in food and beverage fermentations. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 83, 115–131.
- 2001. Biogenic amines in wines: Role of lactic acid bacteria. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 199, 9–13.
- 2003. Antibacterial activity of lactic acid cultures isolated of Italian salami. Braz. J. Microbiol. 34, 121–122. , , and
- 2002. Susceptibility of Escherichia coli O157 and non-O157 isolates to lactate. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 35, 176–180. and
- 1908. Prolongation of Life: Optimistic Studies, pp. 161–183, William Heinemann, London.
- 2006. Isolation of bacteriocin producing Lactococcus lactis strain from dairy products. Int. J. Dairy Sci. 1, 51–56. , , and
- 2010. Isolation of bacteriocin producing Lactococcus lactis strain from dairy products. Int. J. Dairy Sci. 5, 192–197. , , and
- 1996. Dose–response models in biological control of plant pathogens. An empirical verification. Phytopathology 86, 464–472. and
- NCBI 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov (accessed January 21, 2013).
- 2007. Food safety evaluation in boarding school in Zaria Nigeria, using the HACCP system. Sci. Res. Essay 10, 426–423. , , and
- 2002. Review: Potential of bacteriocin-producing lactic acid bacteria for improvements in food safety and quality. Biochimie 84, 593–604. , and
- 2012. Effect of bacterial interactions on antimicrobial compound production by lactic acid bacteria. Int. J Dairy Sci. 7, 63–69.
- 1992. Incidence of pathogenic bacteria in raw milk in Ireland. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 73, 331–336. , and
- 1989. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Vol 1–3 Cold Spring Harbor Press, New York, NY. , and
- 1972. Ecology of the lactic streptococci. A review. J. Milk Food. Technol. 35, 176–185. , and
- 2011. Antagonistic activity and antibiotic sensitivity of lactic acid bacteria from fermented dairy products. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res. 2, 28–534. and
- 1989. Antibacterial activity of Lactobacillus sake isolated from meat. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 55, 1901–1906. and
- 2001. Foods Facts and Principles, Second Ed., New age international (P) Ltd, New Delhi, India. and
- 2008. Isolation of Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Listeria monocytogenes from milk products sold under market conditions at Agra region. Acta Agric. Slov. 1, 83–88. and
- 2004. Sensory Evaluation Practices, p. 87, Elsevier Academy Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. and
- 2005. Assessment of the antimicrobial activity of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Borde and Shameta, traditional Ethiopian fermented beverages, on some food-borne pathogens and effect of growth medium on the inhibitory activity. Int. J. food Saf. 5, 13–20. , and
- 1988. Microbiological studies on indigenous dahi with special reference to public health. JAHP 8, 13. , , and
- 2008. Lactic Acid Bacteria as Biopreservative Agents against Foodborne Pathogens and Spoilage Microorganisms in Fresh Fruits and Vegetables, Universitat de Girona, Girona, Spain.
- 2009. Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, 2nd Ed., Springer, New York, NY. , , , , , , and
- 2008. Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with probiotic potential from camel milk. Int. J. Dairy Sci. 3, 194–199. , , , and