Effectiveness of Acute Geriatric Unit Care Using Acute Care for Elders Components: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Article first published online: 23 NOV 2012
© 2012, Copyright the Authors Journal compilation © 2012, The American Geriatrics Society
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Volume 60, Issue 12, pages 2237–2245, December 2012
How to Cite
Fox, M. T., Persaud, M., Maimets, I., O'Brien, K., Brooks, D., Tregunno, D. and Schraa, E. (2012), Effectiveness of Acute Geriatric Unit Care Using Acute Care for Elders Components: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60: 2237–2245. doi: 10.1111/jgs.12028
- Issue published online: 11 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 23 NOV 2012
- Canadian Association on Gerontology
- Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research
- 2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Improving the health of older Americans: A Centers for Disease Control (CDC) priority. Chronic Dis Notes Rep 2007;18:1–23.
- 3Statistics Canada. Canada's population estimates: Age and sex [on-line]. Available at http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/110928/dq110928a-eng.htm Accessed July 15, 2012.
- 4National hospital discharge survey: 2007 summary. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2010 [on-line]. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr029.pdf Accessed July 15, 2012., , et al.
- 5Health Care in Canada, 2011: A focus on seniors and aging. Ottawa: Canadian Institutes of Health Information, 2011. Available at https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/HCIC_2011_seniors_report_en.pdf Accessed July 15, 2012.
- 6Review: Hospitalization of the elderly. Ann Longterm Care 2007;15:18–23., .
- 9Medicare post-acute care: Quality measurement final report [on-line]. Available at http://aspe.hhs.gov/daltcp/reports/mpacqm.htm#chapIV Accessed July 15, 2012., , et al.
- 13An interdisciplinary approach to optimize health services in a specialized acute care for elders unit. Geriat Today 2003;6:177–186., , et al.
- 14Effectiveness of acute care of the elderly (ACE) units. South Health 2008:1–24., .
- 16Best place of care for older people after acute and during subacute illness: A systematic review. J Health Serv Res Policy 2000;53:176–189., , et al.
- 17What is the evidence for the effectiveness of specialized geriatric services in acute, post-acute and sub-acute settings? A critical appraisal of the literature. N Z Health Technol Assess 2004;7:1–169., .
- 20Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011 [on-line]. Available at www.cochrane-handbook.org Accessed July 15, 2012., .
- 24Comparative effectiveness review methods: Clinical heterogeneity. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US), 2010 [on-line]. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53317/ Accessed July 15, 2012., , et al.
- 29The orthogeriatric unit for acute patients: A new model of care that improves efficiency in the management of patients with hip fracture. Hip Int 2010;20:229–235., , et al.
- 31Old people with femoral neck fracture: Delirium, malnutrition and surgical methods—an intervention program [dissertation]. Umeå, Sweden: Umeå University, 2007..
- 38The impact of a geriatrics evaluation and management unit compared to standard care in a community teaching hospital. Md Med J 1999;48:62–67., , et al.
- 43National health expenditure trends, 1975 to 2011. Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Institute for Health Information, 2011 [on-line]. Available at https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/nhex_trends_report_2011_en.pdf Accessed July 15, 2012.
- 44Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Nationwide emergency department sample [on-line]. Available at http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/HCUPnet.jsp Accessed July 15, 2012.
- 46The Acute Care for Elders (ACE) Manual: Meeting the Challenge of Providing Quality and Cost-Effective Hospital Care to Older Adults. Akron, OH: Summa Health System, 1998., , et al.
- 48Safety of discharge of seniors from the emergency department to the community. Healthc Q 2009;12:24–32., , et al.