The clinical recommendations and recommendations for a research agenda in this article are solely the opinion of the authors and do not represent the official position of the American Diabetes Association.
Diabetes in Older Adults: A Consensus Report
Article first published online: 25 OCT 2012
© 2012 by the American Diabetes Association and the American Geriatrics Society
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Volume 60, Issue 12, pages 2342–2356, December 2012
How to Cite
Sue Kirkman, M., Briscoe, V. J., Clark, N., Florez, H., Haas, L. B., Halter, J. B., Huang, E. S., Korytkowski, M. T., Munshi, M. N., Odegard, P. S., Pratley, R. E. and Swift, C. S. (2012), Diabetes in Older Adults: A Consensus Report. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60: 2342–2356. doi: 10.1111/jgs.12035
This article has been copublished in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. © 2012 by the American Diabetes Association and the American Geriatrics Society.
- Issue published online: 11 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 25 OCT 2012
- 1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Fact Sheet: General Information and National Estimates on Diabetes in the United States. Atlanta, Georgia: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011, p 2011.
- 2California Healthcare Foundation/American Geriatrics Society Panel on Improving Care for Elders with Diabetes. Guidelines for improving the care of the older person with diabetes mellitus. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003;51(Suppl. Guidelines):S265–S280., , et al.
- 9Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Diabetes public health resource, Available at http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 16American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes—2012 (Position Statement). Diabetes Care 2012;35(Suppl. 1):S11–S63.
- 17Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. The influence of age on the effects of lifestyle modification and metformin in prevention of diabetes. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2006;61A:1075–1081., , et al.
- 31American Diabetes Association; American College of Cardiology Foundation; American Heart Association. Intensive glycemic control and the prevention of cardiovascular events: Implications of the ACCORD, ADVANCE, and VA Diabetes Trials: A position statement of the American Diabetes Association and a scientific statement of the American College of Cardiology Foundation and the American Heart Association. Diabetes Care 2009;32:187–192., , et al.
- 32Japanese Elderly Diabetes Intervention Trial Study Group. Long-term multiple risk factor interventions in Japanese elderly diabetic patients: The Japanese Elderly Diabetes Intervention Trial—study design, baseline characteristics and effects of intervention. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2012;12(Suppl. 1):7–17., , et al.
- 37Comorbidity affects the relationship between glycemic control and cardiovascular outcomes in diabetes: A cohort study. Ann Intern Med 2009;151:854–860., , et al.
- 49Japanese Primary Prevention of Atherosclerosis With Aspirin for Diabetes (JPAD) Trial Investigators. Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of atherosclerotic events in patients with type 2 diabetes: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2008;300:2134–2141., , et al.
- 52ACCF/ACG/AHA. ACCF/ACG/AHA 2010 expert consensus document on the concomitant use of proton pump inhibitors and thienopyridines: A focused update of the ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 expert consensus document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use. Am J Gastroenterol 2010;2010(105):2533–2549., , et al.
- 55United States Department of Veterans Affairs. VA/DOD clinical practice guidelines: Management of diabetes mellitus in primary care,2010. Available at http://www.healthquality.va.gov/Diabetes_Mellitus.asp Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 56Rodriguez Mañas L; European Diabetes Working Party for Older People. European Diabetes Working Party for Older People 2011 clinical guidelines for type 2 diabetes mellitus: Executive summary. Diabetes Metab 2011;37(Suppl. 3):S27–S38., , et al.
- 69Risk factors for falls in older disabled women with diabetes: The Women's Health and Aging Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2005;60A:1539–1545., , et al.
- 71The American Geriatrics Society. AGS/BGS clinical practice guideline: Prevention of falls in older persons, 2010. Available at http://www.americangeriatrics.org/health_care_professionals/clinical_practice/clinical_guidelines_recommendations//2010/ Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 80Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vision Health Initiative. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/visionhealth/data/index.htm Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 88Diabetes self-management education for older adults: General principles and practical application. Diabetes Spectrum 2006;19:234–240., .
- 96National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. The management of type 2 diabetes: 2010 NICE guidelines. Available at http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/12165/44320/44320.pdf Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 97American Geriatrics Society. Beers Criteria Update Expert Panel. American Geriatrics Society updated Beers Criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2012;2012(60):616–631.
- 104United States life tables, 2007. Natl Vital Stat Rep 2011;59:1–60..
- 119Committee on Understanding Eliminating Racial Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care (with CD). In: Smedley BD, Stith AY, Nelson AR, eds. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2003.
- 121Diabetes mellitus is associated with an increased risk of falls in elderly residents of a long-term care facility. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2005;60A:1157–1162., , .
- 122Analyses of nursing home residents with diabetes at admission. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2004;5:320–327., , et al.
- 131Classification of older adults who have diabetes by comorbid conditions, United States, 2005–2006. Prev Chronic Dis 2012;9:E100., , et al.