Implementing an Evidence-Based Fall Prevention Program in an Outpatient Clinical Setting
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2013
© 2013, Copyright the Authors Journal compilation © 2013, The American Geriatrics Society
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Volume 61, Issue 12, pages 2142–2149, December 2013
How to Cite
J Am Geriatr Soc 61:2142–2149, 2013.
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2013
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Grant Number: 5R18CE001723
- 1American Geriatrics Society, British Geriatrics Society, and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Panel on Falls Prevention. Guideline for the prevention of falls in older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011;49:664–672.
- 2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Falls among older adults: An overview, 2012 [on-line]. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Falls/adultfalls.html Accessed August 26, 2013.
- 4National Institutes of Health. Falls and older adults [on-line]. Available at http://nihseniorhealth.gov/falls/aboutfalls/01.html Accessed January 5, 2013.
- 5Preventing falls in older adults who live in community settings: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation. Ann Intern Med 2012;157:197–204..
- 10The public health approach to older adult fall prevention: Comments from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Open Longev Sci 2011;5:26–31., , .
- 12Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community. Cochrane Database of Syst Rev 2012;9:CD007146., , et al.
- 14Preventing Falls: What Works. A CDC Compendium of Effective Community-Based Interventions from Around the World. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 2008., .
- 15Tai chi and fall reductions in older adults: A randomized controlled trial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2005;60A:187–194., , et al.
- 22Reach Effectiveness Adoption Implementation Maintenance (RE-AIM) [on-line]. Available at www.re-aim.org Accessed January 14, 2013.
- 23Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Fatal injury data [on-line]. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/fatal.html Accessed January 14, 2013.
- 25China National Sports Commission. Simplified Tai Ji Quan. Beijing, China: People's Sports, 1983.
- 29Transforming traditional Tai Ji Quan techniques into integrative movement therapy—Tai Ji Quan: Moving for better balance. J Sport Health Sci In press..
- 31Functional reach: A new clinical measure of balance? J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1990;45A:M192–M197., , et al.
- 33Sit-to-stand performance depends on sensation, speed, balance, and psychological status in addition to strength in older people. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2002;57A:539–543., , et al.
- 36Translating the fall prevention recommendations into a covered service: Can it be done, and who should do it? Ann Intern Med 2012;157:213–214., .
- 38An evaluation of the effects of Tai Chi exercise on physical function among older persons: A randomized controlled trial. Ann Behav Med 2001;2:89–101., , et al.
- 39Administration on Aging. Health, prevention, and wellness program [on-line]. Available at http://www.aoa.gov/AoARoot/AoA_Programs/HCLTC/Evidence_Based/ Accessed July 5, 2013.