Systematic review of randomised controlled trials of the effects of caffeine or caffeinated drinks on blood glucose concentrations and insulin sensitivity in people with diabetes mellitus
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics © 2013 The British Dietetic Association Ltd.
Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
Volume 26, Issue 2, pages 111–125, April 2013
How to Cite
2012) Systematic review of randomised controlled trials of the effects of caffeine or caffeinated drinks on blood glucose concentrations and insulin sensitivity in people with diabetes mellitus. J Hum Nutr Diet. doi:10.1111/jhn.12033& (
- Issue online: 12 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2013
- 2010) A systematic review of randomised controlled trials for dietary interventions of cinnamon in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. J. Hum. Nutr. Diet. 23, 437–464. , , & (
- 1996) Caffeine consumption. Food Chem. Toxicol. 34, 119–129. & (
- 2006) The glucose intolerance induced by caffeinated coffee ingestion is less pronounced than that due to alkaloid caffeine in men. J. Nutr. 136, 1276–1280. , , & (
- 2001) Misclassification of exposure: coffee as a surrogate for caffeine intake. Am. J. Epidemiol. 153, 815–820. , , & (
- CASP: Critical Appraisal Skills Programme. (2006) 10 Questions to Help You Make Sense of Randomised Control Trials. Oxford: Milton Keynes Primary Care Trust, Public Health Resource Unit. Available at: http://www.sph.nhs.uk/sph-files/rct%20appraisal%20tool.pdf (accessed on 1 February 2012).
- 2008) Caffeine citrate treatment for extremely premature infants with apnea: population pharmacokinetics, absolute bioavailability, and implications for therapeutic drug monitoring. Ther. Drug Monit. 30, 709–716. , , , , & (
- CRD: Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. (2009) Systematic Reviews: CRD's Guidance for Undertaking Reviews in Health Care. York: CRD.
- 1998) Tissue-specific effects of in vivo adenosine receptor blockade on glucose uptake in Zucker rats. FASEB J. 12, 1301–1308. , , & (
- on behalf of the Global Burden of Metabolic Risk Factors of Chronic Diseases Collaborating Group (Blood Glucose). (2011) National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2·7 million participants. Lancet 378, 31–40. , , , , , , , , , , , , , & ;
- DCCT: Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. (1991) Epidemiology of severe hypoglycemia in the diabetes control and complications trial. Am. J. Med. 90, 450–459.
- 1996) Effect of caffeine on recognition of and physiological responses to hypoglycaemia in insulin dependent diabetes. Lancet 347, 19–24. , , & (
- 1991) Effects of caffeine with repeated dosing. Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 40, 273–278. , , & (
- Diabetes UK. (2011) Signs and Symptoms. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Complications/Hypoglycaemia/Signs_and_symptoms/ (accessed on 16 June 2012).
- 2004) Caffeine as a psychomotor stimulant: mechanism of action. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 61, 857–872. , & (
- 2005) Food sources and intakes of caffeine in the diets of persons in the United States. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 105, 110–113. , & (
- 2004) Morbidity of hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 65, S47–S52. (
- FSA: Food Standards Agency. (2011) Determination of Maternal Caffeine Intakes Associated with Increased Risk to the Foetus. Available at: http://www.food.gov.uk/science/research/foodcomponentsresearch/riskassessment/t01programme/t01projlist/t01032-33/ (accessed on August 5 2012).
- 2001) Caffeine ingestion decreases glucose disposal during a hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp in sedentary humans. Diabetes 50, 2349–2354. , , & (
- Health Canada. (2010) Health Canada Reminds Canadians to Manage Caffeine Consumption. Available at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2010/2010_40-eng.php (accessed on August 5 2012).
- 2010) Caffeine (1,3,7-trimethylxanthine) in foods: a comprehensive review on consumption, functionality, safety, and regulatory matters. J. Food Sci. 75, R77–R87. , & (
- 2002) National Diet and Nutrition Survey: Adults Aged 19 to 64 Years. London: FSA. , & (
- 2006) Coffee and health: a review of recent human research. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 46, 101–123. & (
- 2011) Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, version 5.1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration. Available at: http://www.cochrane-handbook.org (accessed on 1 March 2012). & (
- 2009) Coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea consumption in relation to incident type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Arch. Intern. Med. 169, 2053–2063. , , , , , , , & (
- 1967) Effect of coffee on glucose tolerance and circulating insulin in men with maturity-onset diabetes. Lancet 11, 527–529. , , & (
- 2002) Caffeine can decrease insulin sensitivity in humans. Diabetes Care 25, 364–369. , , & (
- 1982) The effect of pregnancy of the pharmacokinetics of caffeine. Arch. Toxicol. 5, 187–192. , & (
- 2004) Caffeine impairs glucose metabolism in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 27, 2047–2048. , , & (
- 2007) Exaggeration of postprandial hyperglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes by administration of caffeine in coffee. Endocr. Pract. 13, 239–243. , , & (
- 2008) Caffeine increases ambulatory glucose and postprandial responses in coffee drinkers with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 31, 221–222. , & (
- 2012) Pilot study of caffeine abstinence for control of chronic glucose in type 2 diabetes. J. Caffeine Res. 2, 45–47. , , , & (
- 2005) Caffeine ingestion is associated with reductions in glucose uptake independent of obesity and type 2 diabetes before and after exercise training. Diabetes Care 28, 566–572. , , , & (
- 2008) Delayed effects of coffee, tea and sucrose on postprandial glycemia in lean, young, healthy adults. Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. 17, 657–662. , , & (
- 2010) Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. Diabetes Care 33, 2477–2483. , , , , & (
- 2008) Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes. N. Engl. J. Med. 358, 1991–2002. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Caffeinated coffee consumption impairs blood glucose homeostasis in response to high and low glycemic index meals in healthy men. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 87, 1254–1261. , , , & (
- 2003) Effects of caffeine on human health. Food Addit. Contam. 20, 1–30. , , , , & (
- NDNS: National Diet and Nutrition Survey. (2008/2009) Headline Results from Year 1 of the Rolling Programme. Available at: http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/ndnsreport0809year1results.pdf (accessed on 22 October 2010).
- 1999) Coffee, caffeine and blood pressure: a critical review. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 53, 831–839. , , & (
- 2010) Momordica charantia for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Sys. Rev. 17, CD007845. , & (
- PRISMA. (2009) PRISMA Checklist. Available at: http://www.prisma-statement.org/statement.htm (accessed on 15 June 2012).
- 2005) Influence of caffeine on frequency of hypoglycemia detected by continuous interstitial glucose monitoring system in patients with long-standing type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 28, 1316–1320. , , & (
- 2009) Acute and long-term cardiovascular effects of coffee: implications for coronary heart disease. Pharmacol. Ther. 121, 185–191. , & (
- 1981) Tolerance to the humoral and hemodynamic effects of caffeine in man. J. Clin. Investig. 67, 1111–1117. , , , & (
- 2004) Caffeine ingestion before an oral glucose tolerance test impairs blood glucose management in men with type 2 diabetes. J. Nutr. 134, 2528–2533. , , , , & (
- 2009) Acute caffeine ingestion and glucose tolerance in women with or without gestational diabetes mellitus. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 31, 304–312. , , & (
- 2004) Poor control of risk factors for vascular disease among adults with previously diagnosed diabetes. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 291, 335–342. , & (
- 2002) Effects of energy drinks on mood and mental performance: critical methodology. Food Qual. Prefer. 13, 317–326. & (
- 2002) Caffeine-induced impairment of glucose tolerance is abolished by beta-adrenergic receptor blockade in humans. J. Appl. Physiol. 92, 2347–2353. & (
- 2008) Coffee, glucose homeostasis and insulin resistance: physiological mechanisms and mediator. Appl. Physiol. Nutr. Metab. 33, 1290–1300. & (
- 1994) Adenosine receptors mediate synergistic stimulation of glucose uptake and transport by insulin and by contractions in rat skeletal muscle. J. Clin. Investig. 93, 974–981. , & (
- 2000) Influence of caffeine on the frequency and perception of hypoglycemia in free-living patients with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 23, 455–459. , , , & (
- 2011) Effects of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee on biological risk factors for type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. Nutr. J. 10, 93–101. , , , , & (
- 2003) Systematic review of herbs and dietary supplements for glycemic control in diabetes. Diabetes Care 26, 1277–1294. , , & (