Comparing the effectiveness of a multi-component weight loss intervention in adults with and without intellectual disabilities
Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics © 2013 The British Dietetic Association Ltd.
Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 22–29, February 2014
How to Cite
2013) Comparing the effectiveness of a multi-component weight loss intervention in adults with and without intellectual disabilities. J Hum Nutr Diet. 27, 22–29 doi: 10.1111/jhn.12051, , , (
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2013
- 1994) Matching. Br. Med. J. 309, 1128. & (
- 2004) Putting words into their mouths? Interviewing people with learning disabilities and little/no speech. Br. J. Learn. Disabil. 32, 166–169. (
- British Dietetic Association. (2011) Weight Management for Adults with a Learning Disability Living in the Community. Birmingham: British Dietetic Association.
- 2012) Predictors of weight loss success. Exercise vs. dietary self-efficacy and treatment attendance. Appetite 58, 695–698. , & (
- 2010) Reducing health inequalities in Scotland: the involvement of people with learning disabilities as National Health Service reviewers. Br. J. Learn. Disabil. 38, 49–58. & (
- 2007) The prevalence, incidence and factors predictive of mental ill-health in adults with profound intellectual disabilities. J. Appl. Res. Intellect. 20, 493–501. , , , , , , & (
- Counterweight Project Team. (2008) Evaluation of the counterweight programme for obesity management in primary care: a starting point for continuous improvement. Br. J. Gen. Pract. 58, 548–554.
- 2010) The Estimated Prevalence of Autism Among Adults with Learning Disabilities in England. Available at: http://www.improvinghealthandlives.org.uk/publications (accessed on 18 June 2012). & (
- 2011) Health inequalities and people with learning disabilities in the UK. Learn. Disabil. Rev. 16, 42–48. & (
- 2004) Evaluation of a cardiovascular health program for participants with mental retardation and normal learners. Health Educ. Behav. 31, 77–87. , , , & (
- 2007) A review of weight loss interventions for adults with intellectual disabilities. Obes. Rev. 8, 339–345. , , , & (
- International Obesity Task Force. (2009) Obesity: Understanding and Challenging the Global Epidemic. 2009-2010 Report. Available at: http://www.iaso.org/site_media/uploads/IASO_Summary_Report_2009.pdf (accessed on 18 June 2012).
- 2010) Obesity interventions for people with a learning disability: an integrative literature review. J. Adv. Nurs. 3, 460–471. , & (
- 2006) A cascade of disparities: health and health care access for people with intellectual disabilities. Ment. Retard. Dev. Disabil. Res. Rev. 1, 70–82. , & (
- 2010) Identifying facilitators and barriers to phsyical activity for adults with down syndrome. J. Intellect. Disabil. Res. 54, 795–805. , , & (
- 2011) Agreement of accelerometer and a physical activity questionnaire in adults with intellectual disabilities. Prev. Med. 5, 361–364. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Lifestyle and health behaviours of adults with an intellectual disability. J. Intell. Disabil. Res. 51, 497–510. , & (
- 2007) The prevalence and determinants of obesity in adults with intellectual disabilities. Obes. Rev. 8, 223–230. , , , & (
- 2011) An open study of the effectiveness of a multi-component weight loss intervention for adults with intellectual disabilities and obesity. Br. J. Nutr. 10, 1553–1562. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Predictors of dropout in weight loss interventions: a systematic review of the literature. Obes. Rev. 12, 912–934. , & (
- 2012) Evaluation of the first phase of a specialist weight management programme in the UK National Health Service: prospective cohort study. Public Health Nutr. 15, 28–38. , , , , & (
- 2006) Perceptions of communication between people with communication disability and general practice staff. Health Expect. 9, 1–12. (
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). (2006) Obesity: The Prevention, Identification, Assessment and Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults and Children. London: NICE.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO). (2000) The Practical Guide: Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. NIH Publication Number 00-4084. Rockville, MD: NIH.
- NHS Health Scotland. (2004) Health Needs Assessment Report. People with Learning Disabilities in Scotland. Glasgow: NHS Health Scotland.
- 2009) A systematic review of the effectiveness of group versus individual treatments for adult obesity. Obes. Facts 2, 17–24. & (
- 2007) The development and validation of the weight management support inventory. Eat. Behav. 8, 39–47. & (
- 2006) Obesity and intellectual disability. Ment. Retard. Dev. Disabil. Res. Rev. 12, 22–27. & (
- Royal College of Nursing. (2006) Meeting the Health Needs of People with Learning Disabilities: Guidance for Nursing Staff. London: RCN.
- 1985) Predicting basal metabolic rate, new standards and review of previous work. Hum. Nutr. Clin. Nutr. 39, 5–41. (
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guideline Network (SIGN). (2010) Management of Obesity: A National Clinical Guideline. Edinburgh: SIGN.
- 2011) Socio-economic differences in weight-control behaviours and barriers to weight control. Public Health Nutr. 14, 1768–1778. , & (
- 2011) Obesity services for adults with learning disabilities. J. Hum. Nutr. Diet. 24, 304–305. , & (
- 2013) A carers' perspectives on a weight loss intervention for adults with intellectual disabilities and obesity: a qualitative study. J. Intell. Disabil. Res. 57, 90–102. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Overweight and obesity among adults with intellectual disabilities who use intellectual disability/developmental disability services in 20 U.S. States. AJIDD – Am. J. Intellect. 6, 401–418. , , , , , , & (
- 2012) Attendance and weight outcomes in 4754 adults referred over 6 months to a primary care/commercial weight management partnership scheme. Clin. Obes. 2, 6–14. , , , , & (
- 2012) Motivation, self-determination, and long-term weight control. Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. 9, 22. , , , & (
- 2005) Role of social support in lifestyle-focused weight management interventions. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 59, 179–186. , , , & (
- World Health Organisation. (2007) Atlas: Global Resources for Persons with Intellectual Disabilities. Geneva: WHO Press.
- 2005) Body weight status among adults with intellectual disability in the community. Ment. Retard. 43, 1–10. (
- 2004) Meeting in the middle: improving communication in primary health care consultations with people with an intellectual disability. J. Intellect. Dev. Dis. 3, 211–225. , , , & (