RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
Ecological Footprint Policy? Land Use as an Environmental Indicator
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2013
© 2013 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 10–19, February 2014
How to Cite
van den Bergh, J. C.J.M. and Grazi, F. (2014), Ecological Footprint Policy? Land Use as an Environmental Indicator. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 18: 10–19. doi: 10.1111/jiec.12045
- Issue published online: 14 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2013
- 2005. Constructing a preference-oriented index of environmental quality: A welfare-theoretic generalization of the concept of environmental indices. In Advances in public economics: Utility, choice, and welfare, edited by U. Schmidt and S. Traub. Berlin: Springer. and .
- 2000. Commentary on the utility of the ecological footprint concept. Ecological Economics 32(3): 347–349.
- 1998. New methodology for the ecological footprint with an application to the New Zealand economy. Ecological Economics 27(2): 149–160. , , , and .
- 2007. Modified ecological footprint accounting and analysis based on embodied exergy—A case study of the Chinese society 1981–2001. Ecological Economics 61(2–3): 355–376. and .
- 1981. Energy, economics, and the environment. AAS Selected Symposia Series. Boulder, CO, USA: Westview Press. and .
- 2004. Aggregating and evaluating the results of different environmental impact assessment methods. Ecological Indicators 4(2): 125–138. , , , and .
- EAI (Environmental Assessment Institute). 2002. Assessing the ecological footprint: A Look at the WWF's living planet report 2002. Copenhagen: Environmental Assessment Institute.
- 2004. Meaningful environmental indices: A social choice approach. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 47(2): 270–283. and .
- Energetics. 2007. The reality of carbon neutrality. Sidney, Australia: Energetics.
- 2006. Job-hopping in Silicon Valley: Some evidence concerning the microfoundations of a high-technology cluster. Review of Economics and Statistics 88(3): 472–481. , , and .
- 2002. Toward a scenario analysis framework for energy footprints. Ecological Economics 40(1): 53–69.
- 2008. Measuring sustainability: Why the ecological footprint is bad economics and bad environmental science. Ecological Economics 67(4): 519–525.
- 2002. Economics of agglomerations: Cities, industrial locations, and regional growth. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. and .
- 1999. The spatial economy: Cities, regions, and international trade. Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press. , , and .
- 1998. Farmland preservation and ecological footprints: A critique. Planning & Markets 1(1). www-pam.usc.edu/volume1/v1i1a2s1.html. Accessed 6 May 2013. and .
- 2007. Welfare economics versus ecological footprint: Modeling agglomeration, externalities, and trade. Environmental and Resource Economics 38(1): 135–153. , , and .
- 2000. Ecological footprint is a vivid indicator of indirect effects. Ecological Economics 32(3): 357–358.
- 2009. The carbon footprint of nations: A global trade-linked analysis. Environmental Science and Technology 43(16): 6414–6420 and .
- 2011. The water footprint assessment manual: Setting the global standard. London: Earthscan. www.waterfootprint.org/downloads/TheWaterFootprintAssessmentManual.pdf. Accessed 6 May 2013. , , , and ,
- IEA (International Energy Agency). 2008. World energy outlook. Paris: International Energy Agency.
- 2009. Footprints on the prairies: Degradation and sustainability of Canadian agricultural land in a globalizing world. Ecological Economics 68(8–9): 2309–2315. and .
- 2009. A research agenda for improving national ecological footprint accounts. Ecological Economics 68(7), 1991–2007. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Increasing returns and economic geography. Journal of Political Economy 99(3): 483–499.
- 1991. In search of indicators of sustainable development. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic. and .
- 2007. On the bioproductivity and land-disturbance metrics of the ecological footprint. Ecological Economics 61(1): 6–10. , , and .
- 2001. A modified ecological footprint method and its application to Australia. Ecological Economics 37(2): 229–255. and .
- 2001. The urban funnel model and the spatially heterogeneous ecological footprint. Ecosystems 4(8): 782–796. , , , and .
- 2000. Ecological footprints and sustainable development. Ecological Economics 32(3): 359–362.
- 2009. Trading spaces: Calculating embodied ecological footprints in international trade using a product land use matrix (PLUM). Ecological Economics 68(7): 1938–1951. , , , , , and .
- 1971. Environment, power, and society. New York: John Wiley.
- 2000. The ecological footprint: Measuring rod or metaphor? Ecological Economics 32(3): 363–365.
- 2007. Beyond “more is better”: Ecological footprint accounting for tourism and consumption in Val di Merse, Italy. Ecological Economics 62(3–4): 747–756. , , and .
- 1995. Measuring sustainable development. In The handbook of environmental economics, edited by D. W. Bromley. Oxford, UK: Blackwell. and .
- 2010. Sustainable nations: What do aggregate indexes tell us? Environment, Development, and Sustainability 12(1): 49–62. and .
- POST (Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology). 2006. Carbon footprint of electricity generation. Postnote 268: 1–11.
- 1993. Reducing CO2 emissions: A comparative input-output study for Germany and the UK. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag. , , and .
- 2000. Ecological footprints and ecosystem health: Complementary approaches to a sustainable future. Ecological Economics 32(3): 367–370.
- 2000. Eco-footprint analysis: Merits and brickbats. Ecological Economics 32(3): 371–374.
- 2002. Footprint: Our impact on Earth is getting heavier. Nature 420(6913): 267–268.
- 2003. Ecological footprints: A blot on the land. Nature 421(6926): 898–898.
- 2003. The ecological footprint: A non-monetary metric of human consumption applied to North America. Global Environmental Change 13(2): 83–100. , , and .
- 2008. Sustainability of nations by indices: Comparative study between environmental sustainability index, ecological footprint, and the energy performance indices. Ecological Economics 66(4): 628–637. , , , and .
- 2008. Carbon Footprinting. London, UK: Carbon Trust.
- 2009. The GDP paradox. Journal of Economic Psychology 30(2): 117–135.
- 2010. On the policy relevance of ecological footprints. Environmental Science and Technology 44(13): 4843–4844. and .
- 1999. Spatial sustainability, trade, and indicators: An evaluation of the ‘ecological footprint’. Ecological Economics 29(1): 63–74. and .
- 2000. The ecological footprint: Useful science or politics? Ecological Economics 32(3): 385–389. and .
- 2000. Ecological footprints of Benin, Bhutan, Costa Rica, and the Netherlands. Ecological Economics 34(1): 115–130. and .
- 2002. Footprint: Ignoring the facts that don't fit the theory. Nature 420: 267.
- VROM-raad. 1999. Global sustainability and the ecological footprint. Advise 16–1999. The Netherlands Council for Housing, Spatial Planning, and the Environment. The Hague, The Netherlands: VROM-raad.
- 2002. Tracking the ecological overshoot of the human economy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99(14): 9266–9271. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Our ecological footprint: Reducing human impact on the earth. Gabriola Island, British Columbia, Canada: New Society. and .
- 2009. Incorporating methane into ecological footprint analysis: A case study of Ireland. Ecological Economics 68(7): 1952–1962. , , and .
- 2010. A review of the ecological footprint indicator—Perceptions and methods. Sustainability 2(6): 1645–1693. and .
- 2008. A definition of ‘carbon footprint.’ In: Ecological Economics Research Trends, edited by C. C. Pertsova. Hauppauge NY, USA: Nova Science Publishers, Inc. and .
- 2007. A definition of ‘carbon footprint’. ISAUK research report 07-01. Durham, UK: ISAUK Research and Consulting. and .
- 2006. Allocating ecological footprints to final consumption categories with input-output analysis. Ecological Economics 56(1): 28–48. , , , and .
- 2009. An assessment of environmental sustainability in Northern Australia using the ecological footprint and with reference to Indigenous populations and remoteness. Ecological Economics 68(5): 1375–1384. and .
- World Energy Council Report. 2004. Comparison of energy systems using life cycle assessment. London, UK: World Energy Council.
- 2011. ‘Carbon footprinting’: Towards a universally accepted definition. Carbon Management 2(1): 61–72. , , and .