Editor Managing Review: Christopher Kennedy
RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
The Water Withdrawal Footprint of Energy Supply to Cities
Conceptual Development and Application to Denver, Colorado, USA
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2014
© 2014 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 26–39, February 2014
How to Cite
Cohen, E. and Ramaswami, A. (2014), The Water Withdrawal Footprint of Energy Supply to Cities. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 18: 26–39. doi: 10.1111/jiec.12086
- Issue published online: 14 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2014
- NSF IGERT. Grant Number: DGE-0654378
- 1998. Virtual water: A strategic resource. Global solutions to regional deficits. Groundwater 36(4): 545–546.
- 2011. Comparison of household consumption and regional production approaches to assess urban energy use and implication for policy. Energy Policy 39(11): 7298–7309. , , , and .
- 2010. Direct and indirect water withdrawals for the U.S. industrial sectors. Environmental Science & Technology 44(6): 2126–2130. , , and , .
- 2011. Progress towards low-carbon: Approaches for trans-boundary greenhouse gas emissions footprinting for cities. Carbon Management 2(4): 471–482. and .
- 2012. Implementing trans-boundary infrastructure-based greenhouse gas accounting for Delhi, India. Journal of Industrial Ecology 16(6): 814–828. , , , , and .
- Chesapeake Energy. 2011. Water use in Barnett Deep Shale gas exploration: Fact sheet. www.chk.com/media/educational-library/fact-sheets/barnett/barnett_water_use_fact_sheet.pdf. Accessed April 2013.
- 2009. Water embodied in bioethanol in the United States. Environmental Science & Technology 43(8): 2688–2692. , , and .
- Clean Air-Clean Jobs Act. 2010. House bill 10–1365, general assembly of the State of Colorado. www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2010A/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/0CA296732C8CEF4D872576-E400641B74?Open-file=1365_rer.pdf. Accessed March 2013.
- CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) Green Design Institute. 2013. Economic input-output life cycle assessment (EIO-LCA) US 2002 (428) model. www.eiolca.net./. Accessed 24 March 2013.
- COGCC (Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission). 2011. Personal communication with on-duty engineering manager, Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, Denver, CO, USA, April 2011.
- Denver Water. 2010. Comprehensive annual financial report for the year ending December 31, 2009. www.denverwater.org/docs/assets/69255A63-E313-AE72-AAD0D59021152AE4/2009_annual_report.pdf. Accessed April 2012.
- Denver Water. 2011. Denver water's conservation plan, 2011 edition. www.denverwater.org/Conservation/ConservationPlan./. Accessed April 2012.
- 2009. The water footprint of biofuels: A drink or drive issue? Environmental Science & Technology 43(9): 3005–3010. , , , and .
- EAI (Energy Analysts International). 2011. Denver/North Front Range fuel supply chain costs and impacts. Westminster, CO, USA: EAI. www.ozoneaware.org/postfiles/2011/news/DenverNorthFrontRangeFuelSupplyCostImpacts_EAIInc_2011_REV2.pdf. Accessed April 2012.
- eGRID (Emissions & Generation Resource Integrated Database). 2010. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, eGRID2010 (year 2007), version 1.1. www.epa.gov/egrid. Accessed April 2011.
- EIA (Energy Information Administration). 2010. Annual energy outlook 2010. Washington, DC: EIA, U.S. Department of Energy. http://18.104.22.168/forecasts/aeo/data.cfm. Accessed May 2012.
- EIA (Energy Information Administration). 2013. Electricity data: Average retail price of electricity to ultimate customers, 2013. www.eia.gov/electricity/sales_revenue_price/pdf/table4.pdf. Accessed March 2013.
- EISA (Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007). 2007. Public law 110–140. www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr6. Accessed March 2013.
- 2010. Browns Ferry too hot to handle. Decatur Daily (Decatur, TX, USA), 18 August 2010. www.decaturdaily.com/stories/Browns-Ferry-too-hot-to-handle,66754. Accessed November 2011.
- 2010. Modeling thermoelectric power generation in view of climate change. Regional Environmental Change 10(4): 327–338. and .
- FRE (Front Range Energy). 2011. Personal communication with on-duty plant manager, Front Range Energy, Windsor, CO, USA, January 2011.
- 2010. Life-cycle uses of water in U.S. electricity generation. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier 14(7): 2039–2046. and .
- 2013. Boulder likely to adopt its own green utility—And risks of going solo. InsideClimate News, 23 January 2013. http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20130120/clean-energy-renewable-energy-climate-change-global-warming-boulder-municipalization-xcel-energy-coal-germany. Accessed March 2013.
- GEO (Governor's Energy Office of Colorado). 2010. 2010 Colorado utilities report. www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/GovEnergyOffice/CBON/1251597774824. Accessed May 2012.
- 2012. Life cycle analysis of water use and intensity of oil and gas recovery in Wattenberg Field, Colorado. Oil and Gas Journal 7 May 2012.www.ogj.com/articles/print/vol-110/issue-5/exploration-development/life-cycle-analysis-of-water.html. Accessed 3 November 2013. , , , and .
- 2010. Greenhouse gas emission footprints and energy use benchmarks for eight U.S. cities. Environmental Science & Technology 44(6): 1902–1910. and .
- 2011. Spatial allocation of transportation greenhouse gas emissions at the city scale. Journal of Transportation Engineering 137(6): 416–425. , , and .
- 2007a. Water footprints of nations: Water use by people as a function of their consumption pattern. Water Resources Management 21(1): 35–48. and .
- 2007b. The water footprints of Morocco and the Netherlands: Global water use as a result of domestic consumption of agricultural commodities. Ecological Economics 64(1): 143–151. and .
- 2002. Virtual water trade: A quantification of virtual water flows between nations in relation to international crop trade, Value of Water Research Report Series no.11, UNESCO-IHE, Delft, the Netherlands. and .
- 2005. Globalisation of water resources: International virtual water flows in relation to crop trade. Global Environmental Change 15(1): 45–56. and .
- ICLEI (International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives)-USA Local Governments for Sustainability. 2010. Annual Report 2010: Empowering sustainable communities. www.icleiusa.org/library/documents/ICLEI_USA_Annual_Report_2010.pdf. Accessed May 2012.
- ICLEI-USA Local Governments for Sustainability. 2011. Community greenhouse gas emissions inventory protocol. www.icleiusa.org/tools/ghg-protocol/community-greenhouse-gas-emissions-inventory-protocol. Accessed May 2012.
- 2013. Boulder mulls Xcel Energy's future. The Denver Post (Denver, CO, USA), 6 January 2013. www.denverpost.com/business/ci_22314716/boulder-city-mulls-xcels-future. Accessed May 2013.
- 2006. Contrasting water footprints of cities in China and the United States. Ecological Economics 57(3): 346–358. , , , , and .
- 2006. A global perspective on changing sustainable urban water supplies. Global and Planetary Change 50(3-4): 202–211. and .
- 2007. The changing metabolism of cities. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(2): 43–59. , , and .
- 2009. Greenhouse gas emissions from global cities. Environmental Science & Technology 43(19): 7297–7302. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Estimated use of water in the United States in 2005. Circular 1344, 52 pp. Reston, VA, USA: U.S. Geological Survey. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Defining a standard metric for electricity savings. Environmental Research Letters 5(201) 014017, 10pp. doi: 10.188/1748-9326/5/1/014017. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The urban funnel model and the spatially heterogeneous ecological footprint. Ecosystems 4(8): 782–796. , , , and .
- 2011. A review of operational water consumption and withdrawal factors for electricity generating technologies. NREL technical report NREL/TP-6A20–50900. Contract no. DE-AC36–08GO28308. Golden, CO, USA: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. , , , and .
- 2010. Water consumption of energy resource extraction, processing, and conversion: A review of the literature for estimates of water intensity of energy-resource extraction, processing to fuels, and conversion to electricity. Energy Technology Innovation Policy discussion paper no. 2010-15, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, October 2010. , , and .
- NERC (North American Electric Reliability Council). 1992. Control area concepts and obligations. July 1992. Washington, DC: North American Electric Reliability Council.
- NETL (National Energy Technology Laboratory). 2008. Estimating freshwater needs to meet future thermoelectric generation requirements, 2008 update. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Energy. www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/coalpower/ewr/pubs/2008_Water_Needs_Analysis-Final_10--2--2008.pdf. Accessed May 2012.
- NETL (National Energy Technology Laboratory). 2009. Impact of drought on U.S. steam electric power plant cooling water intakes and related water resource management issues. Washington, DC: NETL, U.S. Department of Energy.
- NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation of India). 2013. Personal communication with thermal power plant operators and engineers, NTPC Badarpur Thermal Power Station, Delhi, India, March 2013.
- 2012. Water availability and vulnerability of 225 large cities in the United States. Water Resources Research, 48(12): W12529. doi: 10.1029/2012WR012335. and .
- 2012. Quantifying carbon mitigation wedges in US cities: Near-term strategy analysis and critical review. Environmental Science & Technolology 46(7): 3629–3642. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Greenhouse gas inventory for the City and County of Denver. Prepared for Mayor John Hickenlooper's Greenprint Denver Initiative. www.greenprintdenver.org/docs/Denver_GHG_Inventory_Report.pdf. Accessed May 2011. , , , , , , , and
- 2008. A demand-centered, hybrid life-cycle methodology for city-scale greenhouse gas inventories. Environmental Science & Technology 42(17): 6455–6461. , , , , and .
- Renewable Energy Standard. 2004. C.R.S. (Colorado revised statute) 40–2–124. www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/statutes.html. Accessed May 2012.
- 2011. Residential water use trends in North America. Journal of the American Water Works Association 103(2): 76–89. , , , and .
- SDO (State Demography Office). 2012. Population forecasts 2000–2040, Colorado Department of Local Affairs, The official state Web portal. www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=DOLAMain%2FCBONLayout&cid=1251593346867&pagena-me=CBONWrapper. Accessed March 2013.
- 2009. Water resources and natural gas production from the Marcellus Shale: U.S. Geological Survey fact sheet 2009–3032, 6 pp. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2009/3032/. Accessed March 2013. and .
- 2009. Identifying future electricity-water tradeoffs in the United States. Energy Policy 37(7): 2763–2773. and .
- USGS (United State Geologic Survey). 1995. Estimated use of water in the United States in 1995, county level data. http://water.usgs.gov/watuse/spread95.html. Accessed April 2011.
- USGS (United States Geological Survey). 2005. Estimated use of water in the United States: County-level data for 2005. http://water.usgs.gov/watuse/data/2005/. Accessed April 2011.
- 2009. Environmental and sustainability factors associated with next-generation biofuels in the U.S.: What do we really know? Environmental Science and Technology 43(13): 4763–4775. , , , and .
- 2012. Electric portfolio modeling with stochastic water-climate interactions: Implications for co-management of water and electric utilities. PhD dissertation, University of Colorado at Denver, Denver, CO, USA.
- 2011. Consumptive water use in the production of ethanol and petroleum gasoline—2011 update. Center for Transportation Research, Energy Systems Division, Argonne National Laboratory. Oak Ridge, TN, USA: U.S. Department of Energy. and .
- 2009. Consumptive water use in the production of ethanol and petroleum gasoline. Center for Transportation Research, Energy Systems Division, Argonne National Laboratory. Oak Ridge, TN, USA: U.S. Department of Energy. www.ipd.anl.gov/anlpubs/2009/01/63493.pdf. Accessed March 2013. , , , and .
- 2011. Personal communication with on-duty plant manager at the Cherokee coal-fired power station, Xcel Energy, Commerce City, CO, USA, 17 May 2011. .