An Evaluation of Equitable Access to a Community-Based Maternal and Newborn Health Program in Rural Ethiopia
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
© 2013 by the American College of Nurse-Midwives
Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health
Special Issue: Findings from the Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership
Volume 59, Issue s1, pages S101–S109, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Spangler, S. A., Barry, D. and Sibley, L. (2014), An Evaluation of Equitable Access to a Community-Based Maternal and Newborn Health Program in Rural Ethiopia. Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health, 59: S101–S109. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12133
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
- 8Exploring inequalities in access to and use of maternal health services in South Africa. BMC Health Services Research. 2012;12(120):1–12., , , , .
- 10Towards and understanding of regional disparities in social inequities in maternal health in Malawi. African Health Sciences. 2009;9:234–241..
- 11Inequities in maternal and child health outcomes and interventions in Ghana. BMC Public Health. 2012;12(252):1–10., , , .
- 12Targeting Poverty and Gender Inequality to Improve Maternal Health. Women Deliver. Washington, DC: International Center for Research on Women; 2010., , , .
- 16Use pattern of maternal health services and determinants of skilled care during delivery in Southern Tanzania: implications for achievement of MDG-5 targets. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2007;7(29):1–7., , , et al.
- 21Use of antenatal services and delivery care in Entebbe, Uganda: A community based survey. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2007;7(23):1–11., , , .
- 25Managing Motherhood, Managing Risk. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press; 2004..
- 26The Cultural Context of Therapeutic Choice: Obstetrical Care Decisions Among the Bariba of Benin. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: D. Reidel Publishing Company; 1982..
- 29Measuring equity in utilization of emergency obstetric care at Wolisso Hospital in Oromiya, Ethiopia: A cross sectional study. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2013;12(27):1–8., , , et al.
- 30“Delivering” on the MDGs? Equity and maternal health in Ghana, Ethiopia, and Kenya. East African Journal of Public Health. 2008;5:133–141., , , et al.
- 37Reaching the Poor with Health, Nutrition, and Population Services: What Works, What Doesn't, and Why. Washington, DC: The World Bank; 2005., , .
- 38Designing Health and Population Programs to Reach the Poor. Washington, DC: Population Reference Bureau; 2006., , .
- 41The Partnership for Maternal Newborn and Child Health, , . Address inequities. In: Taylor-Made Communications, ed. Knowledge Summary: Women and Children's Health. Geneva, Switzerland: The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health; 2010. p. 42–45.
- 42UNICEF. Narrowing the Gaps to Meet the Goals. New York, NY: UNICEF; 2010.
- 43USAID, MCHIP. Considerations for Incorporating Health Equity into Project Designs: a Guide for Communtiy-Oriented Maternal, Neonatal, and Child Health Projects. Washington, DC: USAID; 2011.
- 47Community-based intervention packages for reducing maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality and improving neonatal outcomes. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2012;(11): CD007754. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD007754.pub2., , .
- 50StataCorp. Stata Statistical Software: Release 12. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP; 2011.
- 51The Effect of Community Maternal and Newborn Health family meetings on type of birth attendant and completeness of maternal and newborn care received during birth and the early postnatal period in rural Ethiopia. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health. 2014;59:S44–S54., , , et al.
- 53Comparison of two approaches for measuring household wealth via an asset-based index in rural and peri-urban settings of Hunana province, China. Emerging Themes in Epidemiology. 2010;7(7):1–17., , , et al.
- 54Issues in the construction of wealth indices for the measurement of socio-economic position in low-income countries. Emerging Themes in Epidemiology. 2008;5(3):1–14., , .
- 55Measuring Food Security Using Household Expenditure Surveys. Washington, DC: International Food Policy Research Institute; 2007., .
- 56Bedi T, Coudouel A, Simler K, editors. More than a Pretty Picture: Using poverty Maps to Design Better Policies and Interventions. Washington, DC: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank; 2007.
- 57. Innovative Pro-Poor Healthcare Financing and Delivery Models. Washington, DC: Results for Development Institute; 2009., , , .