Factors Shaping Interactions Among Community Health Workers in Rural Ethiopia: Rethinking Workplace Trust and Teamwork
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
© 2014 by the American College of Nurse-Midwives
Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health
Special Issue: Findings from the Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership
Volume 59, Issue s1, pages S32–S43, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Dynes, M. M., Stephenson, R., Hadley, C. and Sibley, L. M. (2014), Factors Shaping Interactions Among Community Health Workers in Rural Ethiopia: Rethinking Workplace Trust and Teamwork. Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health, 59: S32–S43. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12135
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
- 6The health worker shortage in Africa: Are enough physicians and nurses being trained? Fam Med. 2009;41(8):595–596. doi: 10.2471/BLT.08.051599, , , .
- 7World Health Organization. Maternal Mortality in 2005: Estimates Developed by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, and the World Bank. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2007.
- 8Lay health workers in primary and community health care for maternal and child health and the management of infectious diseases. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;17(3):CD004015. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD004015.pub3, , , et al.
- 14Measuring trust among frontline health workers in rural Ethiopia. Human Organization. 2013;72(3):230–241., , , .
- 15Central Statistical Agency [Ethiopia] & ICF International. Ethiopia Demographic and Health Survey 2011. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Calverton, MD: Central Statistical Agency and ICF International; 2012.
- 17Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Health. Maternal and Child Health Package. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Health; 2003. Available at: http://cnhde.ei.columbia.edu/training/documents/Maternal_and_Child_Health.pdf Accessed August 12, 2010.
- 18Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Health Federal Ministry of Health. Health Sector Strategic Plan (HSDP-III) 2005/6–2009/10. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Planning and Programming Department, Ministry of Health; 2005.
- 19Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Health. Health Sector Development Program IV 2010/11 – 2014/15: Final Draft. Ethiopia: Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Health; 2010.
- 20Federal Ministry of Health, & Regional Health Bureaus. Ethiopia Health Sector Development Programme HSDP III Mid-Term Review, Volume I Component Report. Ethiopia: Federal Ministry of Health and Regional Health Bureaus; 2008.
- 21MaNHEP Formative Research Report: Indicators of Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Regarding Maternal and Newborn Health in Amhara and Oromiya Regions, Ethiopia. Atlanta, GA: Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership (MaNHEP); 2010., , .
- 22MaNHEP Baseline Report Part I: Indicators of Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Regarding Maternal and Newborn Healthcare in Amhara and Oromiya Regions, Ethiopia. Atlanta, GA: Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership (MaNHEP); 2011., , , et al.
- 23Demonstrate and Leverage Uptake of Scalable Models of Delivery and Immediate Newborn Care in Rural Ethiopia. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Global Health Grant Number OPPGH5309. Atlanta, GA: Emory University.
- 24Improving maternal and newborn health care delivery in rural Ethiopia through the Maternal & Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2014;59:S6–S20., , , et al.
- 25Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Population Census Commission. Summary and Statistical Report of the 2007 Population and Housing Census: Population Size by Age and Sex. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Central Statistical Agency; 2008.
- 26StataCorp. Stata Statistical Software: Release 11. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP; 2009.
- 33Household Food Insecurity Access Scale (HFIAS) for Measurement of Household Food Access: Indicator Guide. Vol 3. Washington, DC: Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance Project, Academy for Educational Development; 2007., , .
- 37Interpersonal trust and knowledge sharing: Moderating effects of individual altruism and a social interaction environment. Soc Behav Pers. 2009;37(1):83–94., , , .
- 38Competence trust among providers as fundamental to a culturally competent primary healthcare system for immigrant families. Prim Health Care Res Dev. 2012. doi: 10.1017/S1463423612000254 [Epub ahead of print], , , , .
- 40Prosocial organizational behaviors. Acad Manage Rev. 1986;11(4):710–725., .
- 47Teamwork training with nursing and medical students: Does the method matter? Results of an interinstitutional, interdisciplinary collaboration. Qual Saf in Health Care. 2010;19(6):e25.doi: 10.1136/qshc.2008.031732, , , et al.
- 56Volunteerism or labor exploitation? Harnessing the volunteer spirit to sustain AIDS treatment programs in urban Ethiopia. Human Organization. 2012;71(1):54–64..