A Regional Comparison of Distribution Strategies and Women's Awareness, Receipt, and Use of Misoprostol to Prevent Postpartum Hemorrhage in Rural Amhara and Oromiya Regions of Ethiopia
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
© 2014 by the American College of Nurse-Midwives
Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health
Special Issue: Findings from the Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership
Volume 59, Issue s1, pages S73–S82, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Sibley, L. M., Spangler, S. A., Barry, D., Tesfaye, S., Desta, B. F. and Gobezayehu, A. G. (2014), A Regional Comparison of Distribution Strategies and Women's Awareness, Receipt, and Use of Misoprostol to Prevent Postpartum Hemorrhage in Rural Amhara and Oromiya Regions of Ethiopia. Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health, 59: S73–S82. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12136
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
- 2World Health Organization. WHO Recommendations for the Prevention and Treatment of Postpartum Haemorrhage. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2012.
- 3Active versus expectant management for women in the third stage of labour. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2010 Jul 7; (7): CD007412.doi 10.1002/14651858.CD007412.pub2., , , , , .
- 7Administration of misoprostol by trained traditional birth attendants to prevent postpartum haemorrhage in homebirths in Pakistan: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2011;118(3):353–361., , , et al.
- 8Misoprostol in the management of the third stage of labour in the home delivery setting in rural Gambia: a randomised controlled trial. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2005;112(9):1277–1283., , , et al.
- 9Prevention of postpartum hemorrhage: Options for home births in rural Ethiopia. African Journal of Reproductive Health. 2009;13(2):88–95., , , , .
- 11World Health Organization. WHO Recommendations for Optimizing Health Workers’ Roles to Improve Access to Key Maternal and Newborn Health Interventions Through Task Shifting. Geneva: WHO; 2012.
- 13Central Statistical Agency [Ethiopia] and ORC Macro. Ethiopia Demographic and Health Survey 2011. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Calverton, Maryland, USA: Central Statistical Agency and ORC Macro; 2012.
- 14Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health, UNFPA, WHO, AMDD. National Baseline Assessment for Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care. Addis Ababa: The Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health; 2008.
- 15Venture Strategies Innovations. Ethiopia takes important policy step of registering misoprostol for postpartum bleeding. June 11, 2010. Available at: http://vsinnovations.org/ethiopia-registration.html Accessed March 26 2013.
- 16Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health. Road Map for Accelerating the Reduction of Maternal and Newborn Morbidity and Mortality 2011–2015. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Federal Ministry of Health; 2011.
- 17Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health. Ethiopia Health Sector Development Programme HSDP III Mid-Term Review, Volume I Component Report). Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Federal Ministry of Health; 2008.
- 18Demonstrate and leverage uptake of scaleable models of delivery and immediate newborn care in rural Ethiopia. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Global Health Grant Number OPPGH5309..
- 19MaNHEP Baseline Report: Indicators of Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices Regarding Maternal and Newborn Health Care in Amhara and Oromiya Regions of Ethiopia. Atlanta, Georgia, USA and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership (MaNHEP); 2011., , , , .
- 20Interpretation of national policy regarding community-based misoprostol for postpartum hemorrhage prevention in Ethiopia: a tale of two regions., , , .
- 21Improving maternal and newborn health care delivery in rural Amhara and Oromiya regions of Ethiopia through the Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership., , , , , , , , , , .
- 23Statistical Quality Control Using Excel. Milwaukee, WI: ASQ Quality Press; 2003., .
- 24MaNHEP End line Survey Report: Indicators of Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices Regarding Maternal and Newborn Health care in Amhara and Oromiya Regions, Ethiopia. Atlanta, GA and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership (MaNHEP); 2013., , , , , .
- 25SAS software Version 9.3 of the SAS System for Microsoft Windows. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.; 2012.
- 26Collinearity Diagnostics Using the Information Matrix. SAS Macro. Atlanta, GA: Emory University and Centers for Disease Control; 2005., , .
- 27Collinearity diagnostics using the information matrix: updated for GENMOD, MIXED and GLIMMIX. SAS macro. Atlanta, GA: Emory University; 2010., .
- 28Quasi–Experimentation: Design & Analysis Issues for Field Settings. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin; 1979., .