Interpretation of National Policy Regarding Community-Based Use of Misoprostol for Postpartum Hemorrhage Prevention in Ethiopia: A Tale of Two Regions
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
© 2014 by the American College of Nurse-Midwives
Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health
Special Issue: Findings from the Maternal and Newborn Health in Ethiopia Partnership
Volume 59, Issue s1, pages S83–S90, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Spangler, S. A., Gobezayehu, A. G., Getachew, T. and Sibley, L. M. (2014), Interpretation of National Policy Regarding Community-Based Use of Misoprostol for Postpartum Hemorrhage Prevention in Ethiopia: A Tale of Two Regions. Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health, 59: S83–S90. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12154
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
Vol. 59, Issue 5, 560, Article first published online: 8 OCT 2014
- 1World Health Organization, UNICEF, UNFPA, The World Bank. Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2010. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2012.
- 3World Health Organization. Making Pregnancy Safer: The Critical Role of the Skilled Birth Attendant (a Joint Statement by WHO, ICM and FIGO). Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, Department of Reproductive Health and Research; 2004.
- 4International Federation of Gynaecologists and Obstetricians. Prevention of Postpartum Haemorrhage with Misoprostol. London, UK: FIGO Secretariat; 2012.
- 5World Health Organization. WHO Recommendations for the Prevention and Treatment of Postpartum Haemorrhage. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2012.
- 7World Health Organization. World Health Report 2005: Making Every Mother and Child Count. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2005.
- 9Active versus expectant management in the third stage of labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007;(4). DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000007., , .
- 11Effect of routine controlled cord traction as part of the active management of third stage labour on postpartum hemorrhage: Multicentre randomised controlled trial (TRACOR). BMJ. 2013;346(f1541):1–11., , , , , , et al.
- 15Prophylactic oxytocin for the third stage of labor. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(4). DOI: 0.1002/14651858.CD001808., , .
- 20Prevention of postpartum hemorrhage: Options for home births in rural Ethiopia. Afr J Reprod Health. 2009;13(2):87–95., , , , .
- 23World Health Organization. WHO Recommendations for the Prevention and Treatment of Postpartum Hemorrhage. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2012.
- 24World Health Organization. WHO Recommendations for Optimizing Health Workers’ Roles to Improve Access to Key Maternal and Newborn Health Interventions Through Task Shifting. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2012.
- 25Misoprostol for postpartum hemorrhage prevention at home birth: An integrative review of global implementation experience to date. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2013;13(44):1–11., , , , .
- 26Central Statistical Agency [Ethiopia], ORC Macro. Ethiopia Demographic and Health Survey 2011. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Calverton, MD: Central Statistical Agency and ORC Macro; 2012.
- 27Venture Strategies Innovations. Ethiopia takes important policy step of registering misoprostol for postpartum bleeding. June 11, 2010. Available at: http://vsinnovations.org/ethiopia-registration.html. Accessed March 26, 2013.
- 28Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health. Road Map for Accelerating the Reduction of Maternal and Newborn Morbidity and Mortality: 2011–2015. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health; 2011.
- 29Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health. National Guideline for the Prevention and Initial Treatment of Postpartum Hemorrhage at Health Post and Community Level: Pocket Reference Book for Health Extension Workers. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health; 2011.
- 32MAXQDA;. MAXQDA Software for Qualitative Data Analysis. Berlin, Germany: VERBI Software-Consult-Sozialforschung GmbH; 1989–2013.
- 33Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications; 1994., .
- 43Translating research into policy: Lessons learned from eclampsia treatment and malaria control in three southern African countries. Health Res Policy Syst. 2009;7(31):1–14., , , , , , et al.
- 44Expanding postpartum hemorrhage prevention to the community in resource-poor contexts: Critical considerations and next steps. International Journal of Childbirth. 2011;1(1):39–51., , , .