Development and Validation of a National Data Registry for Midwife-Led Births: The Midwives Alliance of North America Statistics Project 2.0 Dataset
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2014
© 2014 by the American College of Nurse-Midwives
Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health
Volume 59, Issue 1, pages 8–16, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Cheyney, M., Bovbjerg, M., Everson, C., Gordon, W., Hannibal, D. and Vedam, S. (2014), Development and Validation of a National Data Registry for Midwife-Led Births: The Midwives Alliance of North America Statistics Project 2.0 Dataset. Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health, 59: 8–16. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12165
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2014
- Foundation for the Advancement of Midwifery
- Transforming Birth Fund
- MANA Board of Directors
- 1Public education and the Midwives Alliance of North America: giving birth to “Mothers Naturally.” In: O'Reilly A, ed. The 21st Century Motherhood Movement: Activist Mothers Speak Out on Why We Need to Change the World and How to do it. Toronto, ON, Canada: Demeter Press; 2011:27-42., , .
- 2Canadian Association of Midwives http://www.canadianmidwives.org/. Accessed January 27, 2013..
- 3Midwifery. Center for the Adolescents of San Miguel de Allende. http://www.empowercasa.org. Accessed January 27, 2013.
- 4World Health Organization. Care in Normal Birth: A Practical Guide. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1996.
- 5Supporting healthy and normal physiologic childbirth: A consensus statement by the American College of Nurse-Midwives, Midwives Alliance of North America, and the National Association of Certified Professional Midwives. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2012;57(5):529-532.
- 8Evidence-based Maternity Care: What it is and What it Can Achieve. New York, NY: Milbank Memorial Fund; 2008., .
- 9SOGC joint policy statement on normal childbirth. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2009;31(7):602-603..
- 10The national hospital bill: The most expensive conditions by payer, 2008. In: HCUP Statistical Brief #107. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2011:1-12., .
- 11Central Intelligence Agency. CIA World Factbook. Washington, DC: Central Intelligence Agency; 2012.
- 12Births: Final data for 2010. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2012;61(1):1-72., , , , , .
- 13World Health Organization. Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990–2010. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2012.
- 18Evolutionary obstetrics. In: Trevathan W, Smith EO, McKenna J, eds. Evolutionary Medicine. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1999:183-207..
- 24ACNM Benchmarking Project. American College of Nurse-Midwives Web site. http://www.midwife.org/Benchmarking. Accessed January 27, 2013.
- 26Gliklich R, Dreyer N, eds. Registries for Evaluating Patient Outcomes: A User's Guide. 2nd ed. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2010.
- 27The Security Rule. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Web site. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/securityrule/index.html. Accessed February 14, 2013.
- 28The Privacy Rule. U.S Department of Health and Human Services Web site. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/privacyrule/index.html. Accessed February 14, 2013.
- 29Normal birth and midwifery data: An innovative web-based data collection system. Paper presented at: Normal Birth: International Research Update, Part I; Chicago, IL; May, 2007., .
- 30Fetal and Infant Mortality Review (FIMR): A Strategy for Enhancing Community Efforts to Improve Perinatal Health. Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins University; 2002., .
- 31Women's and Children's Health Policy Center. Fetal and Infant Mortality Review (FIMR) in Brief. Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins University; 2002.
- 32ICD – ICD-10 – International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10.htm. Accessed January 29, 2013.
- 33World Health Organization. The WHO application of ICD-10 to Deaths during Pregnancy, Childbirth and Puerperium: ICD MM. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2012.
- 34Berg C, Danel I, Atrash H, Zane S, Bartlett, eds. Strategies to Reduce Pregnancy-Related Deaths: From Identification and Review to Action. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2001.
- 36IBM Corporation. SPSS Statistics Version 184.108.40.206. Armonk, NY: IBM Corporation; 2012.
- 37Hutterite Society. Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins University Press; 1997..
- 38Home births in the United States, 1990–2009. NCHS Data Brief. 2012;84:1-8., , .
- 39ACOG Committee on Obstetrics Practice. ACOG committee opinion No. 476: Planned home birth. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117(2 Pt 1):425–428.
- 46Clinical Research: Concepts and Principles for Advanced Practice Nurses. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2003., .