Outcomes of Care for 16,924 Planned Home Births in the United States: The Midwives Alliance of North America Statistics Project, 2004 to 2009
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2014
© 2014 by the American College of Nurse-Midwives
Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health
Volume 59, Issue 1, pages 17–27, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Cheyney, M., Bovbjerg, M., Everson, C., Gordon, W., Hannibal, D. and Vedam, S. (2014), Outcomes of Care for 16,924 Planned Home Births in the United States: The Midwives Alliance of North America Statistics Project, 2004 to 2009. Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health, 59: 17–27. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12172
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2014
- MANA Division of Research and Geradine Simkins for her longstanding
- 1Recent trends in out-of-hospital births in the United States. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2013;58(5):494-501., , .
- 7Home births in the United States, 1990–2009. NCHS Data Brief. 2012;84:1-8., , .
- 8The reliability and validity of birth certificates. JOGNN NAACOG. 2006;35(1):3-12., .
- 15Planned hospital birth versus planned home birth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev Online. 2012;9:CD000352. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD000352.pub2., .
- 17ACOG Committee on Obstetric Practice. ACOG committee opinion No. 476: Planned home birth. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117(2 Pt 1):425-428.
- 18Homebirth transfers in the United States: Narratives of risk, fear, and mutual accommodation. Qual Health Res. In press., , .
- 19Gliklich R, Dreyer N, eds. Registries for Evaluating Patient Outcomes: A User's Guide. 2nd ed. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2010.
- 20The Security Rule. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Web site. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/securityrule/index.html. Accessed February 14, 2013.
- 21The Privacy Rule. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Web site. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/privacyrule/index.html. Accessed February 14, 2013.
- 22Women's and Children's Health Policy Center. Fetal and Infant Mortality Review (FIMR) in Brief. Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins University; 2002.
- 23Fetal and Infant Mortality Review (FIMR): A Strategy for Enhancing Community Efforts to Improve Perinatal Health. Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins University; 2002., .
- 24IBM Corporation. SPSS Statistics Version 188.8.131.52. Armonk, NY: IBM Corporation; 2012.
- 27Listening to Mothers III: Pregnancy and Birth. New York, NY: Childbirth Connection; 2013., , , , .
- 29Births: Final data for 2011. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2013;62(1):1-90., , , , .
- 30Planned home and hospital births in South Australia, 1991–2006: Differences in outcomes. Med J Aust. 2010;192(2):76-80., , , .
- 32Vaginal birth after cesarean: New insights. Evid Report Technol Assess (Full Report). 2010;191:1-397., , , et al.
- 34Births: Final data for 2010. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2012;61(1):1-72., , , , , .
- 35Health Management Associates. Midwifery Licensure and Discipline Program in Washington State: Economic Costs and Benefits. Washington, DC: Health Management Associates; 2007.
- 37AHRQ patient safety indicators: Time to include hemorrhage and infection during childbirth. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2013;39(3):114-122., , , .
- 41Risk of severe postpartum hemorrhage in low-risk childbearing women in New Zealand: Exploring the effect of place of birth and comparing third stage management of labor. Birth Berkeley Calif. 2012;39(2):98-105., , , et al.
- 45Born at Home: Cultural and Political Dimensions of Maternity Care in the United States. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage; 2011..
- 50Secondary Data Sources for Public Health: A Practical Guide. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press; 2007.
- 53Clinical Research: Concepts and Principles for Advanced Practice Nurses. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2003., .