Paul Harrison (email@example.com) is Senior Lecturer at Deakin University. Marta Massi (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a doctoral student at Carleton University and a research associate at Deakin University. Kathryn Chalmers (email@example.com) is a research associate at Deakin University.
Beyond Door-to-Door: The Implications of Invited In-Home Selling
Article first published online: 29 JAN 2014
Copyright 2014 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: The New Era in Consumer Protection Regulation
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 195–221, Spring 2014
How to Cite
HARRISON, P., MASSI, M. and CHALMERS, K. (2014), Beyond Door-to-Door: The Implications of Invited In-Home Selling. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 48: 195–221. doi: 10.1111/joca.12027
- Issue published online: 27 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 29 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 FEB 2013
- 2005. Psychology, Behavioral Economics, and Public Policy. Marketing Letters, 16 (3–4): 443–454. , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. 2013. Discussion Paper. What Do We Mean by Vulnerable and Disadvantaged Consumers? Consumer Affairs: Victoria, Melbourne, Australia. http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/library/publications/resources-and-education/research/what-do-we-mean-by-vulnerable-and-disadvantaged-consumers-discussion-paper-2004.pdf.
- Australian Government Productivity Commission. 2007. Review of Australia's Consumer Policy Framework. In Productivity Commission Draft Report, Volume 2: Chapters and Appendixes, vol. 2. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia.
- 2005. Building Understanding of the Domain of Consumer Vulnerability. Journal of Macromarketing, 25 (2): 128–139. , , and .
- 2010. Atmospheric Cues and Their Effect on the Hedonic Retail Experience. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 38 (8): 641–653. , , and .
- 1994. Qualitative Methods in Psychology. Buckingham: Open University Press. , , , , and .
- 1998. Ego Depletion: Is the Active Self a Limited Resource? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74 (5): 1252–65. , , , and .
- 2000. Ego Depletion: A Resource Model of Volition, Self-Regulation, and Controlled Processing. Social Cognition, 18: 130–150. , , and .
- 2007. The Strength Model Of Self-Control. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 16 (6): 351–356.Direct Link:, , and .
- 1994. The Role of Mood and Message Ambiguity in the Interplay of Heuristic and Systematic Processing. European Journal of Social Psychology, 24 (1): 207–221. , , and .
- 2009. Deception in the Marketplace: The Psychology of Deceptive Persuasion and Consumer Self-Protection. New York: Routledge Academic. , , and .
- 2001. Scarcity Claims Elicit Extreme Responding to Persuasive Messages: Role of Cognitive Elaboration Personality. Social Psychology Bulletin, 27 (3): 365–375. and .
- 1968. Implications of Commodity Theory for Value Change. In Psychological Foundations of Attitudes, edited by Anthony G. Greenwald, Timothy C. Brock, and Thomas M. Ostrom (243–275). New York: Academic Press.
- 1997. The effects of time on the norm of reciprocity. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 19: 91–100. , , , , and .
- CAMI Worldwide. 2013. Frequently Asked Questions. CAMI Worldwide. Australia. http://www.learnmaths.com.au/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=10&Itemid=11#3.
- 1987. Compliance Principles of Compliance Professionals: Psychologists of Necessity. In Social Influence: The Ontario Symposium, edited by Mark P. Zanna, James M. Olson, and C. Peter Herman (165–184). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- 1993. Influence: Science and Practice. New York: Harper.
- 2001. Influence: Science and Practice. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- 1999. Tupperware: The Promise of Plastic in 1950s America. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press.
- Commonwealth of Australia. 2010. The Australian Consumer Law: A Guide to Provisions. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia.
- 2008. An Enlargement of the Notion of Consumer Vulnerability. Journal of Macromarketing, 28 (2): 183–186. and .
- Consumer Action Law Centre. 2012. Media Release: Explore All Your Options Before Buying Education Software, August 12.
- Consumer Affairs. 2010. Beware of Door-to-door Security Alarm Sales: Cold-call Con Artists Don't Like Taking ‘No’ for an Answer, August 16.
- Consumer Affairs Victoria. 2012. Parents Urged to Do Homework on Maths Tutoring Software – News Alert, July 25.
- Directive 2005/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 May 2005 concerning Unfair Business-to-Consumer Commercial Practices in the Internal Market.
- 1989. From Rarity to Evaluative Extremity: Effects of Prevalence Information on Evaluations of Positive and Negative Characteristics. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57 (1): 16–26. and .
- Doorstep Selling Directive 85/577/EEC. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31985L0577:en:HTML
- 1971. Similarity, Sex, and Requests for Small Favors. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 1 (3): 284–291. , , and .
- Federal Court of Australia. 2013. Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v Lux Distributors Pty Ltd  FCA 47. Melbourne: Federal Court of Australia Ruling.
- Federal Trade Commission. 1995. Code of Federal Regulations, USA, Title 61, Part 429, http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-22.214.171.124.46.html. Washington, DC: FTC.
- 2009. Acts of Benevolence: A Limited Resource Account of Compliance with Charitable Requests. Journal of Consumer Research, 35 (6): 906–924. , , and .
- 1957. A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. .
- Fife Council. 2012. Be Careful Who You Invite into Your Home, November. http://www.fifecouncil.co.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.display&objectid=F3BABFA8-CE2B-08E0-BE2D433FCE078042.
- 1991. Social Cognition. 2nd edition. New York: McGraw-Hill. and .
- 1966. Compliance Without Pressure: The Foot-in-the-door Technique. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 4 (2): 195–202. and .
- 1990. Purchasing Behavior in Embedded Markets. Journal of Consumer Research, 17 (1): 1–12. and .
- Frost and Sullivan. 2012. Research into the Door-to-Door Sales Industry in Australia, Report by Frost & Sullivan for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, Frost & Sullivan. Canberra. http://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Research%20into%20the%20door%20to%20door%20sales%20industry%20in%20Australia%20August%202012.pdf.
- 1990. Effect of Server Introduction on Restaurant Tipping1. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 20 (2): 168–172. and .
- 1976. In-home Shoppers: An Overview. Journal of Marketing, 40 (4): 81–88.
- 1991. Television Shopping: A Media System Dependency Perspective. Communication Research, 18 (6): 773–798. , , and .
- 1996. Door-to-Door Sales. Grimes and Reece, PLLC. http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/dortodor.htm .
- 1958. The Psychology of Interpersonal Relations. New York: John Wiley & Sons. .
- 2008. Entering the Blogosphere: Some Strategies for Using Blogs in Social Research. Qualitative Research, 8 (1): 91–113. .
- 1987. Marketing and Exchange. Journal of Marketing, 51: 3–18. and .
- 2010. Texas Shuts down Travel Club: Victims Paid Thousands for ‘Worthless’ Memberships. Consumer Affairs, March 18. .
- 2007. Do the Maths Before Signing Up. The Sydney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/news/planning/do-the-maths-before-signing-up/2007/10/15/1192300680687.html. .
- 1972. Direct Selling: Consumer vs. Salesman: Is Conflict Inevitable? Business Horizons, 15 (5): 87–95.
- 2008. Exposed: The High-pressure Sales Tactics That Target the Disabled. The Guardian, July 26. .
- 1987. Anticipation and the Valuation of Delayed Consumption. The Economic Journal, 97 (9387): 666–684. .
- 1991. Scarcity Effects on Value: A Quantitative Review of the Commodity Theory. Literature, Psychology and Marketing, 8 (1): 43–57. .
- 1987. In-Home Shopping: A Critical Review and Research Agenda. Journal of Direct Marketing, 1 (2): 5–21. , , and .
- 1999. Door to Door Selling – Pyramid Selling – Multilevel Marketing: A Study Commissioned by the European Commission. Vol. II. Brussels: Institute for European Economic and Consumer Law Association. , , and .
- 2011. In-store Music and Aroma Influences on Shopper Behavior and Satisfaction. Journal of Business Research, 64 (6): 558–564. , , , and .
- 2011. Research Frontiers on Older Consumers' Vulnerability. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 45 (3): 467–491. , , and .
- 1953. An Approach to the Study of Communicative Acts. Psychological Review, 60: 393–404. .
- 2010. Get Motivated Seminars: ‘Life-changing’ or ‘High-pressure Sales’?, September 28. .
- 1979. Consumer Decision Making Fact or Fiction? Journal of Consumer Research, 6 (2). and .
- 1987. Attribution of Social and Parasocial Relationships. Communication Research, 6 (1): 59–77. and .
- 1986. Communication and Persuasion: Central and Peripheral Routes to Attitude Change. New York: Springer-Verlag. . and .
- 2009. BBB Offers Alarm Sales Warning. Buffalo News, July 18. .
- 1993. Social Perception and Interpersonal Influence: Some Consequences of the Physical Attractiveness Stereotype in a Personal Selling Setting. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 2 (1): 25–38. and .
- 2010. Share and Share Alike? Not with These Rogues… BBC Watchdog, October 21. .
- 2008. The Goal of Consistency as a Cause of Information Distortion. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 137 (3): 456–70. , , , and .
- 2002. Dispelling the Illusion of Invulnerability: The Motivations and Mechanisms of Resistance to Persuasion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83 (3): 526–541. , , , and .
- 1996. A Proposed Model of External Consumer Information Search. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 24 (3): 246–256. and .
- 2008. Managing Door-to-Door Sales of Vacuum Cleaners in Interwar Britain. Business History Review, 82 (04): 761–788. .
- 2005. A Behavioral Perspective on Consumer Protection. Competition and Consumer Law Journal, 15 (3): 302–317. .
- 2008. High-pressure Alarm System Sales Tactics Ellicit Warning. Star Tribune, September 20. .
- 1937. The Wealth of Nations. New York: Random House. (Original work published 1876). .
- 2002. Two Decades of Contributions to Marketing and Public Policy: An Analysis of Research. Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 21 (1): 105–125. , and .
- Surry City Council. 2011. Beware of Doorstep Fish Sellers, February 14.
- 1975. A Situational Influence on the Relationship of a Consumer Attribute to New-Product Attractiveness. Journal of Applied Psychology, 60 (5): 652–655.
- 2010. Construal-level Theory of Psychological Distance. Psychological Review, 117 (2): 440–63. and .
- 2013. Local Neighborhoods Hit by Door-to-door Sales Scams. Oak Hill Gazette, January 2. .
- 1992. Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, 5 (4): 297–323. and .
- United Kingdom. 2008a. The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, 2008. No. 1277. London: Parliament of the United Kingdom. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/contents/made.
- United Kingdom. 2008b. Consumer Protection: The Cancellation of Contracts Made in a Consumer's Home or Place of Work Etc. Regulations, 2008 (1816): 1–16.
- United Kingdom Office of Fair Trading. 2012. Press Release: Don't Feel Pressured to Buy Just Because You Invite a Doorstep Trader into Your Home. Urges OFT, November 13.
- 1982. Scarcity and Consumer Choice Behavior. Journal of Economic Psychology, 2 (4): 299–322.
- 2005. Self-Regulation and Self-Presentation: Regulatory Resource Depletion Impairs Impression Management and Effortful Self-Presentation Depletes Regulatory Resources. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 88: 632–657. , , and .
- 2011. Aesthetics and the Online Shopping Environment: Understanding Consumer Responses. Journal of Retailing, 87 (1): 46–58. , , and .
- 1999. The Use of Crying over Spilled Milk: A Note on the Rationality and Functionality of Regret. Philosophical Psychology, 12 (3). .