Narratives of breathlessness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Article first published online: 27 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Clinical Nursing published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 22, Issue 21-22, pages 3062–3070, November 2013
How to Cite
Kvangarsnes, M., Torheim, H., Hole, T. and Öhlund, L. S. (2013), Narratives of breathlessness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 22: 3062–3070. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12033
- Issue published online: 14 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 27 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 2012
- Helse Midt-Norge. Grant Number: RHF 09/225
- Helse Møre og Romsdal
- Aalesund University College
- Act of 2 July 1999 No. 63 Relating to Patients' Rights (the Patients' Rights Act). Available at: http://www.lovdata.no/ (accessed 5 October 2010).
- 2007) Non-invasive ventilation in exacerbations of COPD. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2, 471–476. & (
- 2006) Coping and psychological distress in hospitalized patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The Journal of Acute and Critical Care 35, 46–57. , & (
- 2001) Death stories: acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Qualitative Health Research 11, 322–338. (
- 2004) The dyspnea-anxiety-dyspnea cycle–COPD patients' stories of breathlessness: ‘It's scary/when you can't breathe’. Qualitative Health Research 14, 760–778. (
- 2002) Storytelling and the interpretation of meaning in qualitative research. Journal of Advanced Nursing 38, 573–583. & (
- 2005) Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a phenomenological study of patients' experiences. Journal of Clinical Nursing 14, 805–812. (
- Board of Health Supervision (2008) The Patients' Rights Act Chapter 4 A. Rundskriv Helsedirektoratet.
- 2005) Narrative inquiry: multiple lenses, approaches, voices. In The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Research, 3rd edn (Denzin NK & Lincoln YS eds). Sage Publication, Thousand Oaks, CA, pp. 651–679. (
- 2004) Narratives in Social Science Research. Sage, Los Angeles, CA. (
- 2004) The last year of life of COPD: a qualitative study of symptoms and services. Respiratory Medicine 98, 439–445. , , , & (
- 1992) Discourse and Social Change. Polity Press, Cambridge. (
- 2010) Exploring the care needs of patients with advanced COPD: an overview of the literature. Respiratory Medicine 104, 159–165. , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Profesjonog tillit (Profession and trust). In Profesjonsstudier (Vocational studies) (Molander A & Terum LI eds). Universitetsforlaget, Oslo, pp. 197–215. (
- 2009) Hva er tillit (What is Trust?). Univeristetsforlaget, Oslo. (
- 2010) The experience of breathlessness: the social course of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 39, 555–563. & (
- 2003) Which patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease benefit from noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation? A systematic review of the literature Annals of Internal Medicine 138, 861–870. , , & (
- 2006) Patient understanding, detection, and experience of COPD exacerbations: an observational, interview-based study. Chest 130, 133–142. , , , , , , (
- 2009) InterViews: Learning the Craft of Qualitative Research Interviewing. Sage, Los Angeles, CA. & (
- 2013) Intensive care unit nurses' perceptions of patient participation in the acute phase of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbation: an interview study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 69, 425–434. , , & (
- Ministry of Health and Care Services (2006) Nasjonal Stategy for COPD (2006–2011).
- 2007) Patient's perception of exacerbations of COPD–the PERCEIVE study. Respiratory Medicine 101, 453–460. , , , & (
- 2002) Readme First for a User's Guide to Qualitative Methods. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA. & (
- 2008) Nursing Research. Generating and Assessing Evidence for Nursing Practice, 8th edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA. & (
- 1988) Narrative Knowing and the Human Sciences. State University of New York Press, Albany, NY. (
- 2003) Portvakt i velferdsstaten. Om skjønn og beslutninger i sosialtjenesten (Gate-keeper of the Welfare-State. On Assessment and Decision-Making in the Social Services). Kommuneforlaget, Oslo. (
- 2004) Fatigue in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Advanced Nursing 45, 172–177. & (
- 2010) How to cope with the mask? Experiences of mask treatment in patients with acute chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-exacerbations. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences 24, 499–506. & (
- World Health Organization (2012) Chronic Respiratory Diseases: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Available at: http://www.who.int/respiratory/copd/en/on (accessed 28 January 2012).