The importance of nutrition, diet and lifestyle advice for cancer survivors – the role of nursing staff and interprofessional workers
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 22, Issue 11-12, pages 1539–1549, June 2013
How to Cite
Murphy, J. L. and Girot, E. A. (2013), The importance of nutrition, diet and lifestyle advice for cancer survivors – the role of nursing staff and interprofessional workers. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 22: 1539–1549. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12053
- Issue online: 10 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 AUG 2012
- 2010) Older Women's Experience of Breast Cancer Alongside other Health Conditions: The EPaN Study (Experiences, Preferences and Needs of Women Aged 70 Years and Over). University of Southampton, Southampton. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) The burden of overweight and obesity-related ill health in the UK. Obesity Reviews 8, 467–473. & (
- 2010) It makes you feel so full of life: LiveWell, a feasibility study of a personalised lifestyle programme for colorectal cancer survivors. Supportive Care in Cancer 18, 409–415. , , & (
- 2006) Antioxidant vitamins supplementation and mortality: a randomized trial in head and neck cancer patients. International Journal of Cancer 119, 2221–2224. , , , , , , & (
- 2001) Diet-related knowledge, beliefs and actions of health professionals compared with the general population: an investigation in a community Trust. Journal of Human Nutrition & Dietetics 14, 25–32.Direct Link: (
- 2005) Obesity and overweight in relation to organ-specific cancer mortality in London (UK): findings from the original Whitehall study. International Journal of Obesity 29, 1267–1274. , , , , & (
- 2006) A Systematic Review of RCTs Investigating the Effect of Dietal and Physical Activity Interventions on Cancer Survival, updated report. World Cancer Research Fund. Available at: http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/ (accessed 10 September 2011). , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Cancer survivors' adherence to lifestyle behavior recommendations and associations with health-related quality of life: results from the American Cancer Society's SCS-II. Journal of Clinical Oncology 26, 2198–2204. , & (
- 2008) Literature review of nursing practice in managing obesity in primary care: developments in the UK. Journal of Clinical Nursing 17, 17–28. & (
- 2003) Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. adults. New England Journal of Medicine 348, 1625–1638. , , & (
- Cancer Action Team (2007) Holistic Common Assessment of Supportive and Palliative Care Needs for Adults with Cancer: Assessment Guidance. Cancer Action Team, London. Available at: http://ncat.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/Guidance%20holistic%20common%20assessment.pdf (accessed 2 September 2011).
- Cancer Research UK (2010) Long-Term Survival from Once-Deadly Cancer Doubles. Available at: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/news/archive/pressrelease/2010-07-12-deadly-cancer-survival-doubles (accessed 10 September 2011).
- Care Quality Commission (2011) Dignity and Nutrition Inspection Report: National Overview. Care Quality Commission, Newcastle.
- 2006) Dietary fat reduction and breast cancer outcome: interim efficacy results from the Women's Intervention Nutrition Study. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 98, 1767–1776. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Weight gain prior to diagnosis and survival from breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 16, 1803–1811. , , , , , & (
- 2010) Advising Cancer Survivors About Lifestyle: A Selective Review of the Evidence. Macmillan Cancer Support. Available at: http://www.ncsi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Lifestyle-Review.pdf (accessed 2 September 2011). , & (
- 2011) The role of diet and physical activity in breast, colorectal, and prostate cancer survivorship: a review of the literature. British Journal of Cancer 105, S52–S73. , & (
- 2008) Promoting a healthy lifestyle among cancer survivors. Hematology-Oncology Clinics of North America 22, 319–342. & (
- 2000) Current health behaviors and readiness to pursue life-style changes among men and women diagnosed with early stage prostate and breast carcinomas. Cancer 88, 674–684. , , , & (
- Department of Health (1994) Core Curriculum for Nutrition in the Education of Health Professionals. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2000) The NHS Cancer Plan. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2001) Exercise Referral Systems: A National Quality Assurance Framework. Department of Health Report, London.
- Department of Health (2010a) Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS. Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_117794.pdf (accessed 2 September 2011).
- Department of Health (2010b) National Cancer Survivorship Initiative: Vision. Department of Health, London.
- 2006) Body mass index and outcomes in patients who receive adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 98, 1647–1654. , , , , , & (
- 2006) Body mass index and the risk of death following the diagnosis of colorectal cancer in postmenopausal women (United States). Cancer Causes and Control 17, 63–70. , , , & (
- 2006) Health status of long-term cancer survivors: results from an Australian population-based sample. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 15, 1969–1976. , , , , , & (
- 2007) Health behaviors of cancer survivors: data from an Australian population-based survey. Cancer Causes and Control 18, 881–894. , , , , , & (
- 2009) Improving Nutritional Care and Treatment Perspectives and Recommendations from Populations Groups, Patients and Carers. British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Maidenhead. Available at: http://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/improv_nut_care_report.pdf (accessed 20 October 2011). & (
- 2010) Role of a clinical nurse specialist within a paediatric multidisciplinary weight-management programme team. Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 2649–2651. , , , , , & (
- 2011) Effect of obesity on prognosis after early-stage breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 29, 25–31. , , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Nutrition professionals in South Africa. In Community Nutrition Textbook for South Africa: A Rights-Based Approach (Steyn NP & Temple N eds). MRC, Cape Town, pp. 57–100. , , & (
- 2009) Dietary pattern influences breast cancer prognosis in women without hot flashes: the Women's Healthy Eating and Living Trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology 27, 352–359. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Eating habits, beliefs, attitudes and knowledge among health professionals regarding the links between obesity, nutrition and health. Public Health Nutrition 7, 337–343. , , , & (
- 2008) An exploratory case study of cancer nurses' understanding and use of nutritional screening in patients diagnosed with cancer. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 21, 373–406. (
- 1995) Dietary advice, nutritional knowledge and attitudes towards nutrition in primary health-care. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 8, 279–286. & (
- 2011) Nurturing and nourishing: the nurses' role in nutritional care. Journal of Clinical Nursing 20, 317–330. , & (
- 2006) Diet, exercise, and complementary therapies after primary treatment for cancer. Lancet Oncology 7, 1017–1026. & (
- 2010) An evaluation of a community dietetics intervention on the management of malnutrition for healthcare professionals. Journal of Human Nutrition & Dietetics 23, 567–574. , , , & (
- 2007) Folate and colorectal cancer: an evidence-based critical review. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 51, 267–292. (
- 2008) Folic acid supplementation and cancer risk: point. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 17, 2220–2225. (
- 2009) Cancer prevalence in the United Kingdom: estimates for 2008. British Journal of Cancer 101, 541–547. , , , , , & (
- 2001) Dietary changes among cancer survivors. European Journal of Cancer Care 10, 12–20. , , & (
- 2007) Association of dietary patterns with cancer recurrence and survival in patients with stage III colon cancer. Journal of the American Medical Association 298, 754–764. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2010) Answering patient questions about the role lifestyle factors play in cancer onset and recurrences. Journal of Health Psychology 15, 291–298. , & (
- 2009) Effects of home-based diet and exercise on functional outcomes among older, overweight long-term cancer survivors renew: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Medical Association 301, 1883–1891. , , , , , , , & (
- Scandinavian Nutrition Group (2008) Insufficient nutritional knowledge among health care workers? Clinical Nutrition 27, 196–202. , , , , , &
- National Health Service (NHS) (2008) New Measures for the Manual of Cancer Services 2008. Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Cancer/Treatment/DH_101998 (accessed 18 November 2011).
- 2010) Multivitamin use is not associated with cancer recurrence or survival in patients with Stage III colon cancer: findings from CALGB 89803. Journal of Clinical Oncology 28, 4354–4363. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2009) Body mass index before and after breast cancer diagnosis: associations with all-cause, breast cancer, and cardiovascular disease mortality. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 18, 1403–1409. , , , , , , , , , & (
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (2007) Introduction of Essential Skills Clusters for Pre-registration Nursing Programmes. Available at: http://www.nmc-uk.org/Documents/Circulars2007circulars/NMCcircular07_2007.pdf (accessed 18 November 2011).
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (2010) Standards for Pre-Registration Nursing Education – Annexe 3: Essential Skills Clusters and Guidance for their Use (Guidance G7.1.5b). Available at: http://Standards.nmc-uk.org/Documents/Annexe3_%20ESCs_16092010.pdf (accessed 18 November 2011).
- 2010) Physical activity, diet, adiposity and female breast cancer prognosis: a review of the epidemiologic literature. Maturitas 66, 5–15. , , & (
- 2011) Updated evidence in support of diet and exercise interventions in cancer survivors. Acta Oncologica 50, 167–178. & (
- 2007) The influence of a very high vegetable-fruit-fiber, low-fat diet on prognosis following treatment for breast cancer: results from the Women's Healthy Eating and Living (WHEL) randomized trial. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 106, S16–S16. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Promoting lifestyle change among cancer survivors: when is the teachable moment? American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine 3, 369–378. (
- 2009) The building blocks of a health diet. Practice Nurse 38, 12–17. (
- 2010) Addressing the issue of poor nutrition. Practice Nurse 40, 9–10. (
- 2007) Multivitamin-multimineral supplements: who uses them? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 85, 277S–279S. (
- 2004) Antioxidant supplement use in cancer survivors and the general population. Journal of Nutrition 134, 3194S–3195S. , , , & (
- 2009) Longitudinal biological exposure to carotenoids is associated with breast cancer-free survival in the Women's Healthy Eating and Living Study. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 18, 486–494. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Nutrition knowledge and attitudes of pre-registered and registered nurses in relation to cancer survivorship. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 70, E307. & (
- Royal College of Nursing (2008) Enhancing Nutritional Care. Royal College of Nursing, London.
- 2009) Health behavior changes in White and African American prostate cancer survivors. Cancer Nursing 32, 107–117. , & (
- 2005) Patients' Nutritional Care in Hospital: An Ethnographic Study of Nurses' Role and Patients' Experience. Royal College of Nursing, London. & (
- 2010) Obesity is an independent prognostic variable in colon cancer survivors. Clinical Cancer Research 16, 1884–1893. , , , & (
- 2007) Lifestyle interventions in cancer survivors: designing programs that meet the needs of this vulnerable and growing population. Journal of Nutrition 137, 243S–248S. , & (
- 2011) Reclaiming time for nursing practice in nutritional care: outcomes of implementing Protected Mealtimes in a residential aged care setting. Journal of Clinical Nursing 20, 1339–1348. , & (
- 2009) The prevalence of dietary-related complementary and alternative therapies and their perceived usefulness among cancer patients. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 22, 528–535. , & (
- 2008) Vitamin and mineral supplement use among US adults after cancer diagnosis: a systematic review. Journal of Clinical Oncology 26, 665–673. & (
- 2005) A multidimensional cancer rehabilitation program for cancer survivors – effectiveness on health-related quality of life. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 58, 485–496. , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Working with the team: strategies employed by hospital cancer nurse specialists to implement their role. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 716–724. & (
- World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research (WCRF/AICR) (2007) Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective. AICR, Washington, DC.
- World Health Organisation (2010) Global Status Report on Non-Communicable Diseases. World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- 2004) Burden of illness in cancer survivors: findings from a population-based national sample. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 96, 1322–1330. , , , & (