Promoting the health, safety and welfare of adults with learning disabilities in acute care settings: a structured literature review
Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 22, Issue 11-12, pages 1497–1509, June 2013
How to Cite
Bradbury-Jones, C., Rattray, J., Jones, M. and MacGillivray, S. (2013), Promoting the health, safety and welfare of adults with learning disabilities in acute care settings: a structured literature review. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 22: 1497–1509. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12109
- Issue online: 10 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2012
- 2005) Access to health care for people with learning disabilities in the UK: mapping the issues and reviewing the evidence. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 10, 173–182. , & (
- 2009) Access to secondary healthcare for people with intellectual disabilities: a review of the literature. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 22, 514–525. , & (
- 2004) Managing the needs of people who have a learning disability. Nursing Times 100, 28–9. (
- 2005) Emergency care for people with learning disabilities: what all nurses and midwives need to know. Accident and Emergency Nursing 13, 224–231. (
- 2008) Supporting safe transitions from home to healthcare settings for individuals with intellectual disabilities. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation 24, 74–82. & (
- 2006) A new research agenda: improving health care in general hospitals. Journal of Clinical Nursing 15, 1362–1370. & (
- 2010) Equality and access to general health care for people with learning disabilities: reality or rhetoric? Journal of Research in Nursing 15, 351–361. , , , & (
- 2007) The importance of good quality services for people with complex health needs. British Journal of Learning Disabilities 36, 32–37. (
- 2009) Reducing health inequalities in Scotland: the involvement of people with learning disabilities as national health service reviewers. British Journal of Learning Disabilities 38, 49–58. & (
- 2004) Secondary healthcare and learning disability. Journal of Learning Disabilities 8, 30–40. & (
- Disability Rights Commission (2006) Equal Treatment: Closing the Gap. A Formal Investigation into the Physical Health Inequalities Experienced by People with Learning Disabilities and/or Mental Health Problems. DRC, London.
- 1990) An empirical study of the possible relation of treatment differences to quality scores in controlled randomized clinical trials. Controlled Clinical Trials 11, 339–352. , , , & (
- 2010) Injuries, falls and accidents among adults with intellectual disabilities. Prospective cohort study. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 54, 966–980. , , , & (
- 2008) The experiences of adults with intellectual disabilities and their carers in general hospitals: a focus group study. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 52, 1061–1077. , & (
- 2002) Meeting the needs of people with learning disabilities in acute care. British Journal of Nursing 11, 1389–1392. (
- 2004) Better preadmission assessment improves learning disability care. Nursing Times 100, 44–47. (
- House of Commons and House of Lords: Joint Committee on Human Rights (2008) A Life Like Any Other? Human Rights of Adults with Learning Disabilities. HMSO, London.
- 2003) The experiences of people with developmental disability in Emergency Departments and hospital wards. Research in Developmental Disabilities 24, 247–264. & (
- 2008) Inclusion in primary care for people with intellectual disabilities: gaining the perspective of service user and supporting social care staff. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities 12, 1–17. , , , & (
- 2008) Improving acute care of people with learning disabilities. Nursing Times 104, 32–33. (
- 2009) Staff variables associated with the challenging behaviour of clients with sever or profound intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 53, 620–632. , & (
- 2010) Learning Disability Liaison Nursing Services in South East Scotland: A Mixed Methods Impact and Outcome Study. NHS Lothian Health Services Research Programme and NHS Forth Valley, UK. , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Learning disability awareness. Learning Disability Practice 10, 10–14. & (
- 2005) Enhancing primary health care services for adults with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 49, 190–198. , , , , , , & (
- Mencap (2007) Death by Indifference. Mencap, London.
- 2011) Getting it Right: The Getting it Right Charter Explained. Mencap, London. Available at: http://www.mencap.org.uk/publications (accessed 6 September 2011). (
- 2008) Healthcare for All: Report of the Independent Inquiry into Access to Healthcare for People with Learning Disabilities. HMSO, London. (
- National Patient Safety Agency (2004) Understanding the Patient Safety Issues for People with Learning Disabilities. NPSA, London.
- NHS Health Scotland (2004) People with Learning Disabilities in Scotland. NHS Health Scotland, Glasgow.
- Parliament of the United Kingdom (2005) Mental Capacity Act. The Stationary Office, London.
- Royal College of Nursing (2010) A Learning Disability Nurse in Every Hospital? Royal College of Nursing, London. Available at: http://www.rcn.org.uk/newsevents/congress/2010 (accessed 6 September 2011).
- Royal College of Nursing (2011) Meeting the Health Needs of People with Learning Disabilities. Royal College of Nursing, London.
- 2003) Classifying the findings in qualitative studies. Qualitative Health Research 13, 905–923. & (
- 2005) Health in people with intellectual disabilities: current knowledge and gaps in knowledge. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 18, 325–333. . (
- 2006) Caring for adults with intellectual disabilities: perceived challenges for nurses in accident and emergency units. Journal of Advanced Nursing 55, 36–45. & (
- 2007) The challenge for nurses communicating with and gaining valid consent from adults with intellectual disabilities within the accident and emergency care service. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 1678–1686. & (
- 2006) Caring for people with learning disabilities in emergency care. Emergency Nurse 14, 23–30. , & (
- 2011) Good Practice Framework for People with a Learning Disability Requiring Planned Secondary Care. Welsh Assembly Government, Cardiff. (
- 2010) Hospital experiences of older people with intellectual disability: responses of group home staff and family members. Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability 35, 155–164. , & (
- 2010) Review of risk factors and preventative strategies for fall-related injuries in people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 2100–2109. , & (