The responses of healthcare professionals to the admission of people with cognitive impairment to acute hospital settings: an observational and interview study
Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 23, Issue 13-14, pages 1820–1829, July 2014
How to Cite
Clissett, P., Porock, D., Harwood, R. H. and Gladman, J. R. (2014), The responses of healthcare professionals to the admission of people with cognitive impairment to acute hospital settings: an observational and interview study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23: 1820–1829. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12342
- Issue online: 19 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 FEB 2013
- National Institute for Health Research Health Services and Delivery Research Programme. Grant Number: 08/1809/227
- 2010) The challenges in providing services to clients with mental illness: managed care, burnout and somatic symptoms among social workers. Community Mental Health Journal 46, 591–600. (
- 2005) Innovative practice: developing a learning set within dementia care: a practice development project. Dementia 4, 307–312. & (
- 1999) Short versions of the geriatric depression scale: a study of their validity for the diagnosis of a major depressive episode according to ICD-10 and DSM-IV. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 14, 858–865. & (
- Alzheimer's Society (2009) Counting the Cost: Caring for People with Dementia on Hospital Wards. Alzheimer's Society, London.
- Audit Commission (2000) Forget Me Not. The Stationary Office, London.
- Audit Commission (2002) Forget Me Not 2002. The Stationary Office, London.
- 2011) Professional tears: developing emotional intelligence around death and dying in emergency work. Journal of Clinical Nursing 20, 3364–3372. , & (
- 2008) Practice development: providing benefits for both managers and older patients with delirium and dementia. Journal of Nursing Management 16, 141–146. (
- 2000) Health professionals’ perspectives of providing care to people with Dementia in the acute setting: toward better practice. Geriatric Nursing 27, 300–308. , , & (
- Care Service Improvement Partnership (2005) Everybody's Business – Integrated Mental Health Services for Older Adults: A Service Development Guide. Department of Health, London.
- 2006) Constructing Grounded Theory. A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis. Sage, Los Angeles, CA. (
- 2012) The Care of Frail Older People with Complex Needs: Time for a Revolution. Available at: http://kingsfund.koha-ptfs.eu/cgi-bin/koha/opacdetail.pl?biblionumber=103334 (accessed 20 April 2012). (
- 2010) The care of older people with dementia in acute hospitals. International Journal of Older People Nursing 5, 83–92. (
- 2003) Pelvic floor dysfunction: a conceptual framework for collaborative patient-centred care. Journal of Advanced Nursing 43, 555–568. & (
- 2011) Workloads and staff levels hamper dementia care. Nursing Older People 23, 6. (
- Department of Health (2001) The National Service Framework for Older People. The Stationary Office, London.
- Department of Health (2009) Living Well With Dementia: A National Dementia Strategy. Department of Health, London.
- 2009) Patient-centred care and nurses’ health: the role of nurses’ caring orientation. Journal of Advanced Nursing 65, 1463–1474. (
- 2009) Burnout among care staff for older adults with dementia: the role of reciprocity, self-efficacy and organizational factors. Dementia 8, 515–541. , & (
- 2010) Promoting a continuation of self and normality: person-centred care as described by people with dementia, their family members and aged care staff. Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 2611–2618. , & (
- 2002) Nurses’ experiences of abusive/non-abusive caring for demented patients in acute care settings. Scandinavian Journal of Caring 16, 79–85. & (
- 1984) Detecting alcoholism: the CAGE questionnaire. Journal of American Medical Association 252, 1905–1990. (
- 2012) Care of Older People with Cognitive Impairment in General Hospitals. Available at: http://www.netscc.ac.uk/hsdr/projdetails.php?ref=08-1809-227 (accessed 28 January 2013). , , , , , , , , & (
- 1978) Theoretical Sensitivity. The Sociology Press, Mill Valley, CA. (
- 1967) The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research. Aldine Press, Chicago, IL. & (
- 2012) The prevalence of mental health problems amongst older adults admitted as an emergency to a general hospital. Age and Ageing 41, 80–86. , , , , & (
- 2001) The Emotionally Intelligent Workplace. Jossey-Bass, New York, NY. (
- 2009) The emotional labour of nursing – Defining and managing emotions in nursing work. Nurse Education Today 29, 168–175. (
- 2005) Professional influences on the provision of mental health care for older people within a general hospital ward. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 12, 472–480. & (
- 1983) The Managed Heart: The Commercialization of Human Feeling. University of California, Berkeley Press, Berkeley, CA. (
- 1972) Evaluation of a mental test score for assessment of mental impairment in the elderly. Age and Ageing 1, 233–238. (
- 2008) Emotional labour underlying caring: an evolutionary concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing 64, 195–208. , & (
- 2000) Training and Development for Dementia Care Workers. Jessica Kingsley, London. (
- 1992) Care = organisation + physical labour + emotional labour. Sociology of Health & Illness 14, 488–509. (
- 1997) Dementia Reconsidered: The Person Comes First. Open University Press, Maidenhead. (
- 2010) The emotional labour of caring about looked-after children. Child and Family Social Work 15, 483–491. (
- 2000) Training is not enough to change care practice. Journal of Dementia Care 8, 15–17. , & (
- 2007) Protecting the self: a descriptive qualitative exploration of how registered nurses cope with working in surgical areas. International Journal of Nursing Studies 44, 982–990. (
- 2005) Emotional labour and stress within mental health nursing. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 12, 154–162. & (
- 2007) Emotional labour and emotional exhaustion: interpersonal and intrapersonal mechanisms. Work & Stress 21, 30–47. , , & (
- 2004) Caring for patients with dementia in an acute care environment. Geriatric Nursing 25, 139–144. (
- 2011) Acute care management of older people with dementia: a qualitative perspective. Journal of Clinical Nursing 20, 420–428. , , , & (
- 2006) Beyond demand-control: emotional labour and symptoms of burnout in teachers. Work & Stress 20, 303–315. , & (
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2006) Dementia: Supporting People with Dementia and Their Carers in Health and Social Care. The Stationary Office, London.
- NHS Confederation (2012) Delivering Dignity: Securing Dignity in Care for Older People in Hospitals and Care Homes. A Report for Consultation. Available at: http://www.nhsconfed.org/Documents/Delivering%20Dignity.pdf (accessed 26 April 2012).
- 2006) Caring connections with older persons with dementia in an acute hospital setting – a hermeneutic interpretation of the staff nurse's experience. International Journal of Older People Nursing 1, 208–215. (
- Royal College of Psychiatrists (2005) Who Cares Wins. Royal College of Psychiatrists, London.
- 2010) Student experiences in learning person-centred care of patients with Alzheimer's disease as perceived by nursing students and supervising nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 2639–2648. , & (
- 1994) Utility of a new procedure for diagnosing mental disorders in primary care. The PRIME-MD 1000 study. Journal of American Medical Association 272, 1749–1756. , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Right place – wrong person: dignity in the acute care of older people. Quality in Ageing and Older Adults 12, 33–43. , , , & (
- 2002) Promoting a good life among people with Alzheimer's disease. Journal of Advanced Nursing 38, 50–58. , & (