Correction added on 07 November 2014, after first online publication: the title has been corrected for language and terminology.
Barriers to nutritional care for the undernourished hospitalised elderly: perspectives of nurses†
Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Journal of Clinical Nursing Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Journal of Clinical Nursing
Volume 24, Issue 5-6, pages 696–706, March 2015
How to Cite
Eide, H. D., Halvorsen, K. and Almendingen, K. (2015), Barriers to nutritional care for the undernourished hospitalised elderly: perspectives of nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 24: 696–706. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12562
[Correction added on 07 November 2014, after first online publication: this article has been edited for language and terminology.]
- Issue online: 24 FEB 2015
- Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JAN 2014
- South-Eastern Norway Regional Health Authority. Grant Number: 2719007
- University Hospital. Grant Number: 2619013
- Department of Health, Nutrition and Management
- 2008) Diagnosis and treatment of (disease-related) in-hospital malnutrition: the performance of medical and nursing staff. Clinical Nutrition 27, 431–438. , , , & (
- 2001) Food and nutritional care in hospitals: how to prevent undernutrition – report and guidelines from the Council of Europe. Clinical Nutrition 20, 455–460. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2009) The phenomenological focus group: an oxymoron? Journal of Advanced Nursing 65, 663–671. , & (
- 1994) Capturing the group effect in focus groups: a special concern in analysis. Qualitative Health Research 4, 123–127. & (
- 1996) Making Sense of Qualitative Data. Complementary Research Strategies, 1st edn. SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. & (
- 1999) Doing Qualitative Research, 2nd edn. SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks. & (
- 2004) Truth and Method, 3rd edn. Continuum Publications, Wiltshire, UK. (
- 2009) Well-established nutritional structure in Scandinavian hospitals is accompanied by increased quality of nutritional care. e-SPEN, the European e-Journal of Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism 4, 22–29. , & (
- 2009) Caring for undernourished patients in an orthopaedic setting. Nursing Ethics 16, 5–18. , & (
- 1994) The methodology of focus groups: the importance of interaction between research participants. Sociology of Health and Illness 16, 103–121. (
- 1995) Qualitative research. Introducing focus groups. British Medical Journal 311, 299–302. (
- 2002) Incidence of nutritional risk and causes of inadequate nutritional care in hospitals. Clinical Nutrition 21, 461–468. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002. Clinical Nutrition 22, 415–421. , , , & (
- 1999) Nutritional care of the patient: nurses' knowledge and attitudes in an acute care setting. Journal of Clinical Nursing 8, 217–224. , & (
- 2011) Grunnleggende sykepleie [Basic nursing care], 2nd edn. Gyldendal akademisk, Oslo, Norway. , & (
- 2009) Interviews: Learning the Craft of Qualitative Research Interviewing, 2nd edn. SAGE Publications, Los Angeles, CA. & (
- 2007) Management and perception of hospital undernutrition – a positive change among Danish doctors and nurses. Clinical Nutrition 26, 371–378. , , , & (
- Lovdata (2001) Lov om Pasient- og Brukerrettigheter [The (Norwegian) Patient's Rights Act]. LOV 1999-07-02 nr 63. Ministry of Health and Social Affairs. Available at: http://lovdata.no/lov/1999-07-02-63 (accessed 29 January 2014).
- 2001) Qualitative research: standards, challenges, and guidelines. Lancet 358, 483–488. (
- 2012) Fokusgrupper som Forskningsmetode for Medisin og Helsefag [Focus Groups as a Research Method in Medicine and Health Care], 1st edn. Universitetsforlaget, Oslo, Norway. (
- Ministry of Education and Research (2012) Meld.St.13 (2011–2012): Utdanning for Velferd. Samspill i Praksis [Report nr.13 to the Storting (2011–2012): Education for Welfare. Cooperation in Practice]. Oslo, Kunnskapsdepartementet. Available at: http://www.regjeringen.no/pages/37006956/PDFS/STM201120120013000DDDPDFS.pdf (accessed 29 January 2014).
- Ministry of Health and Care services (1997) Prioritering på ny. Gjennomgang av Retningslinjer for Prioriteringer innen norsk Helsetjeneste (NOU 1997:18) [Prioritizing again. Revision of Guidelines for Priorities in the Norwegian Health and Care Services (NOU 1997:18)]. Oslo, Sosial-og helsedepartementet. Available at: http://www.regjeringen.no/Rpub/NOU/19971997/018/PDFA/NOU199719970018000DDDPDFA.pdf (accessed 30 January 2014).
- Ministry of Health and Care services (2009) Report No. 47 (2008-2009) to the Storting. Summary in English: The Coordination Reform. Proper treatment – At the Right Place and Right Time. Oslo. Available at: http://www.regjeringen.no/upload/HOD/Samhandling%20engelsk_PDFS.pdf (accessed 30 January 2014).
- Ministry of Health and Care services (2013) Meld. St. 29 (2012–2013): Morgendagens Omsorg [Report nr.29 to the Storting (2012-2013): Care of Tomorrow]. Oslo, Helse- og omsorgsdepartementet. Available at: http://www.regjeringen.no/pages/38301003/PDFS/STM201220130029000DDDPDFS.pdf (accessed 30 January 2014).
- 1997) Focus Groups as Qualitative Research, 2nd edn. SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. (
- 2010) Reconsidering the role of interaction in analyzing and reporting focus groups. Qualitative Health Research 20, 718–722. (
- 1997) Anorexia of aging: physiologic and pathologic. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 66, 760–773. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9322549 (accessed 30 January 2014). (
- 1991) The prevalence of undiagnosed protein-calorie undernutrition in a population of hospitalized elderly patients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 39, 1089–1092. & (
- 2006) Nutritional routines and attitudes among doctors and nurses in Scandinavia: a questionnaire based survey. Clinical Nutrition 25, 524–532. , , , , & (
- 2008) Insufficient nutritional knowledge among health care workers? Clinical Nutrition 27, 196–202. , , , , , & (
- 2008) Prognostic impact of disease-related malnutrition. Clinical Nutrition 27, 5–15. , , & (
- Norwegian Board of Health Supervision (2013) Not Just One Health Problem. Summary in English of Countrywide Supervision 2011–2012 of Specialized Health Services. Frail Elderly People Treated for Fracture of the Hip. http://www.helsetilsynet.no/no/Norwegian-Board-of-Health-Supervision/Publications/Report-of-the-Norwegian-Board-of-Health-Supervision-2013/Not-just-one-health-problem-Summary-of-countrywide-supervision-2011-2012-elderly-people-treated-for-fracture-of-the-hip/ (accessed 30 January 2014).
- 2006) A method for implementation of nutritional therapy in hospitals. Clinical Nutrition 25, 515–523. , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Everyone's problem but nobody's job: staff perceptions and explanations for poor nutritional intake in older medical patients. Nutrition & Dietetics 68, 41–46. , , & (
- 2010) How nutritional risk is assessed and managed in European hospitals: a survey of 21,007 patients findings from the 2007–2008 cross-sectional nutritionDay survey. Clinical Nutrition 29, 552–559. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) Disease-related Malnutrition: An Evidence-based Approach to Treatment, 1st edn. CABI, Wallingford, UK. , & (
- 2007) How well do nurses recognize malnutrition in elderly patients. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 63, 292–296. , , & (
- 2012) Implementation of nutritional guidelines in a university hospital monitored by repeated point prevalence surveys. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 66, 388–393. , , & (
- The Norwegian Directorate of Health (2009) Nasjonale Faglige Retningslinjer for Forebygging og Behandling av Underernæring, in Norwegian [National Professional Guidelines on Prevention and Treatment of Malnutrition]. Oslo. Available at: http://helsedirektoratet.no/publikasjoner/nasjonal-faglig-retningslinje-for-forebygging-og-behandling-av-underernering/Publikasjoner/nasjonal-faglig-retningslinje-for-forebygging-og-behandling-av-underernering.PDF (accessed 30 January 2014).
- The Norwegian Directorate of Health (2012a) Behovet for Spesialisert Kompetanse i Helsetjenesten. En Status-, Trend- og Behovsanalyse fram mot 2030 [The Need for Specialized Competence in Health and Care Services. A Status, Trend and Needs Analysis up to 2030]. Oslo. Available at: http://helsedirektoratet.no/publikasjoner/behovet-for-spesialisert-kompetanse-i-helsetjenesten/Publikasjoner/behovet-for-spesialisert-kompetanse-fram-mot-2030.pdf (accessed 30 January 2014).
- The Norwegian Directorate of Health (2012b) Ernæringskompetanse i helse- og Omsorgstjenesten [Nutritional Competence in the Health and Care Services]. Oslo. Available at: http://www.helsedirektoratet.no/publikasjoner/erneringskompetanse-i-helse-og-omsorgstjenesten/Publikasjoner/ern%c3%a6ringskompetanse-i-helse-og-omsorgstjenesten.pdf (accessed 30 January 2014).
- 2011) Malnutrition and nutritional care practices in hospital wards for older people. Journal of Advanced Nursing 67, 736–746. , , , , , & (
- 2010) Undiagnosed malnutrition and nutrition-related problems in geriatric patients. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging 14, 387–392. , , , & (
- 2006) Mealtimes in hospital – who does what? Journal of Clinical Nursing 15, 1221–1227. & (