Agarwal is with the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University and the Center for Financial Research at University of Cologne, Jiang is with the Graduate School of Business at Columbia University, Tang is with the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University, and Yang is with the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University. The paper has benefited from comments and suggestions from Cindy Alexander, Gurdip Bakshi, Sugato Bhattacharyya, Nicole Boyson, Jay Cai, Mark Chen, Conrad Ciccotello, Evan Dudley, Meyer “Mike” Eisenberg, Merritt Fox, Gerald Gay, Joseph Gerakos, Michael Gombola, Jeff Gordon, Laurie Hodrick, Aneel Keswani, Lixin Huang, Narasimhan Jegadeesh, Danling Jiang, Woodrow Johnson, Jayant Kale, Andrew Karolyi, Omesh Kini, Pedro Matos, Stewart Mayhew, David Musto, Felix Oberholzer-Gee, Jayendu Patel, Sugata Ray, Chip Ryan, David Stolin, Melvin Teo, Bernard Yeung, an anonymous referee, the Associate Editor, the Editor (Campbell Harvey), and seminar and conference participants at the 2012 AFA, 2009 All-Georgia Finance Conference, Columbia Business School, Columbia Law School, Conference on Empirical Legal Studies at Yale Law School, 2009 Conference on Financial Economics and Accounting at Rutgers Business School, Chicago Quantitative Alliance 2010 Annual Fall Conference, 2011 Conference on Financial Regulation at the University of Notre Dame, 2010 Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, Florida State University, Georgetown University, Georgia State University, National University of Singapore's Fourth International Conference on Finance, 2010 NBER Law and Economics Program Spring Meeting, Northwestern Law School, Ohio State University, SAC Capital Advisors, Second Oxford-Man Institute Hedge Fund Conference, Singapore Management University, University of Buffalo, University of Florida, 2011 Vanderbilt Hedge Fund Conference, and Virginia Tech. The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Q Group and the award from the Chicago Quantitative Alliance 2010 Annual Academic Competition. Yuehua Tang acknowledges the Max Burns Fellowship from Georgia State University. The authors thank George Connaughton, Vyacheslav Fos, Bharat Kesavan, Linlin Ma, and Rong Shao for excellent research assistance.
Uncovering Hedge Fund Skill from the Portfolio Holdings They Hide
Version of Record online: 7 MAR 2013
© 2013 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 68, Issue 2, pages 739–783, April 2013
How to Cite
AGARWAL, V., JIANG, W., TANG, Y. and YANG, B. (2013), Uncovering Hedge Fund Skill from the Portfolio Holdings They Hide. The Journal of Finance, 68: 739–783. doi: 10.1111/jofi.12012
- Issue online: 7 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 26 NOV 2012 12:00AM EST
- Initial submission: August 6, 2010; Final version received: August 15, 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!