Jessica A. Wachter is with the Department of Finance, The Wharton School. For helpful comments, I thank Robert Barro, John Campbell, Mikhail Chernov, Gregory Duffee, Xavier Gabaix, Paul Glasserman, Francois Gourio, Campbell Harvey, Dana Kiku, Bruce Lehmann, Christian Juillard, Monika Piazzesi, Nikolai Roussanov, Jerry Tsai, Pietro Veronesi, and seminar participants at the 2008 NBER Summer Institute, the 2008 SED Meetings, the 2011 AFA Meetings, Brown University, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, MIT, University of Maryland, the University of Southern California, and The Wharton School. I am grateful for financial support from the Aronson+Johnson+Ortiz fellowship through the Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research. Thomas Plank and Leonid Spesivtsev provided excellent research assistance.
Can Time-Varying Risk of Rare Disasters Explain Aggregate Stock Market Volatility?
Version of Record online: 20 MAY 2013
© 2013 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 68, Issue 3, pages 987–1035, June 2013
How to Cite
WACHTER, J. A. (2013), Can Time-Varying Risk of Rare Disasters Explain Aggregate Stock Market Volatility?. The Journal of Finance, 68: 987–1035. doi: 10.1111/jofi.12018
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 20 MAY 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 JAN 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAR 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!