Blake is from the Pensions Institute, Cass Business School, City University London; Rossi is from the Smith School of Business, University of Maryland at College Park; Timmermann is from the Rady School, University of California at San Diego; Tonks is from the University of Bath School of Management; and Wermers is from the Smith School of Business, University of Maryland at College Park. We are especially grateful to the Rotman International Centre for Pension Management (ICPM) at the University of Toronto as well as Inquire-U.K. for financial support. Members of the board of the ICPM research committee also provided insightful suggestions for improving our paper. We are also grateful to Alan Wilcock and Daniel Hall of BNY Mellon Asset Servicing for providing us with the CAPS pension fund performance data and for patiently answering an endless list of questions concerning the data. Rosalin Wu provided excellent research assistance on this project. The paper has benefited from comments made at presentations at the 2011 Netspar International Pension Workshop (Turin), 2009 Inquire-U.K. and Europe Joint Seminar (Edinburgh), 2009 Paul Woolley Centre Annual Conference (London School of Economics), 2009 European Finance Association (EFA) Annual Meetings (Bergen), and in particular from the comments of our discussants at the Netspar, Woolley, and EFA conferences: Marno Verbeek, Clemens Sialm, and Erik Kole, respectively. We also sincerely thank those members of the pension fund community who responded to our survey questions about trends in the industry. We thank Ralph Koijen, Campbell Harvey (the Editor), and an anonymous referee for numerous valuable comments. This work represents the views of the authors and not those of Inquire-U.K. or ICPM.
Decentralized Investment Management: Evidence from the Pension Fund Industry
Article first published online: 20 MAY 2013
© 2013 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 68, Issue 3, pages 1133–1178, June 2013
How to Cite
BLAKE, D., ROSSI, A. G., TIMMERMANN, A., TONKS, I. and WERMERS, R. (2013), Decentralized Investment Management: Evidence from the Pension Fund Industry. The Journal of Finance, 68: 1133–1178. doi: 10.1111/jofi.12024
- Issue published online: 20 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 20 MAY 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 JAN 2013 12:45PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 FEB 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!