Kalemli-Ozcan is with University of Maryland, Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), and National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER); Papaioannou is with London Business School, CEPR, and NBER; and Peydró is with Universitat Pompeu Fabra and Barcelona Graduate School of Economics. This paper was previously circulated under the title “Financial Integration and Business Cycle Synchronization.” Essential parts of the paper were prepared while Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan was visiting the European Central Bank (ECB) as a 2008 Duisenberg Fellow. She thanks the economists at the Bank for providing a stimulating research environment. This paper was written when Kalemli-Ozcan was at University of Houston and Kuc University and Papaioannou was at the Economics Department of Dartmouth College and Harvard University. We thank two anonymous referees, the Associate Editor, an advisor, Cam Harvey (the Editor), John Campbell, Harris Dellas, Domenico Giannone, Jean Imbs, Simone Manganelli, Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, Bent Sørensen, Marco Pagano, Fabrizio Perri, Andrei Shleifer, Aaron Tornell, Francis Warnock, Axel Weber, and seminar participants at University of California Los Angeles, Brown, Dartmouth College, Harvard Business School, University of Maryland, the ECB, the Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Athens Laboratory of Business Administration, the 5th ECB Central Banking Conference, the Bank for International Settlements– Commitee on the Global Financial System Workshop on Global Financial Stability, Conference on Research on Economic Theory and Econometrics, the CEPR-European University Institute workshop on Globalization, the NBER Summer Institute, the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, and the 2010 American Economic Association Meetings for helpful comments and suggestions. Dimitrios Rakitzis and Francesc Rodriguez-Tous provided excellent research assistance.
Financial Regulation, Financial Globalization, and the Synchronization of Economic Activity
Version of Record online: 20 MAY 2013
© 2013 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 68, Issue 3, pages 1179–1228, June 2013
How to Cite
KALEMLI-OZCAN, S., PAPAIOANNOU, E. and PEYDRÓ, J.-L. (2013), Financial Regulation, Financial Globalization, and the Synchronization of Economic Activity. The Journal of Finance, 68: 1179–1228. doi: 10.1111/jofi.12025
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 20 MAY 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 JAN 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!