Guiso is with European University Institute, EIEF, and CEPR; Sapienza is with Northwestern University, NBER, and CEPR; Zingales is with University of Chicago, NBER, and CEPR. An earlier version of this paper circulated with the title “Moral and Social Constraints to Strategic Default on Mortgages.” We would like to thank the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and Kellogg School of Management for financial support in establishing and maintaining the Chicago Booth Kellogg School Financial Trust Index. Luigi Guiso is grateful to PEGGED for financial support. We thank Campbell Harvey (Editor), Amir Sufi, two anonymous referees, and seminar participants at the University of Chicago and New York University for very useful suggestions, Gabriella Santangelo and Filippo Mezzanotti for excellent research assistantship, and Peggy Eppink for editorial help. We also thank Amit Seru for providing us with a time series of actual strategic default within his sample.
The Determinants of Attitudes toward Strategic Default on Mortgages
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2013
© 2013 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 1473–1515, August 2013
How to Cite
GUISO, L., SAPIENZA, P. and ZINGALES, L. (2013), The Determinants of Attitudes toward Strategic Default on Mortgages. The Journal of Finance, 68: 1473–1515. doi: 10.1111/jofi.12044
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 16 JUL 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 MAR 2013 03:45AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUL 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!