Viral V. Acharya is with NYU–Stern, CEPR, ECGI, and NBER. Heitor Almeida is with University of Illinois and NBER. Murillo Campello is with Cornell University and NBER. Our paper benefited from comments from Peter Tufano (Acting Editor); an anonymous referee; Hui Chen, Ran Duchin, and Robert McDonald (discussants); René Stulz; as well as seminar participants at the 2010 AEA meetings, 2010 WFA meetings, DePaul University, ESSEC, Emory University, MIT, Moody's/NYU–Stern 2010 Credit Risk Conference, New York University, Northwestern University, UCLA, University of Illinois, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Yale University, University of Southern California, and UCSD. We thank Florin Vasvari and Anurag Gupta for help with the data on lines of credit, and Michael Roberts and Florin Vasvari for matching these data with COMPUSTAT. Farhang Farazmand, Fabrício D'Almeida, Igor Cunha, Rustom Irani, Hanh Le, Ping Liu, and Quoc Nguyen provided excellent research assistance. We are also grateful to Jaewon Choi for sharing his data on firm betas, and to Thomas Philippon and Ran Duchin for sharing their programs to compute asset and financing gap betas.
Aggregate Risk and the Choice between Cash and Lines of Credit
Article first published online: 10 SEP 2013
© 2013 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 68, Issue 5, pages 2059–2116, October 2013
How to Cite
ACHARYA, V. V., ALMEIDA, H. and CAMPELLO, M. (2013), Aggregate Risk and the Choice between Cash and Lines of Credit. The Journal of Finance, 68: 2059–2116. doi: 10.1111/jofi.12056
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 10 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 MAY 2013 11:43AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUL 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!