Andrew Ellul is at the Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, and Vijay Yerramilli is at the C. T. Bauer College of Business, University of Houston. We thank an anonymous referee, the Associate Editor, Cam Harvey (Editor), Rajesh Aggarwal, Utpal Bhattacharya, Charles Calomiris (discussant), Mark Carey, Sudheer Chava, Michel Crouhy (discussant), Mark Flannery, Reint Gropp (discussant), Laurent Fresard, Radhakrishnan Gopalan, Nandini Gupta, Iftekhar Hassan, Jean Helwege, Christopher Hennessy, Tullio Jappelli, Steven Kaplan, Anil Kashyap, Bill Keeton (discussant), Jose Liberti, Marco Pagano, Rich Rosen, Philipp Schnabl (discussant), Amit Seru, Phil Strahan, René Stulz, Anjan Thakor, Krishnamurthy Subramanian, David Thesmar, Greg Udell, James Vickery, Vikrant Vig, Jide Wintoki, and seminar participants at the American Finance Association meetings (Denver), CAREFIN-University of Bocconi Conference on Matching Stability and Performance, CEPR Summer Symposium in Gerzensee, European Finance Association meetings (Frankfurt), European School of Management and Technology (Berlin), Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Conference on Bank Structure and Competition, Federal Reserve Bank of New York–Columbia University Conference on Governance and Risk Management in the Financial Services Industry, Indiana University, London Business School, London School of Economics, LSE/Bank of England “Complements to Basel” Conference, NBER Sloan Project Conference on Market Institutions and Financial Market Risk, Rice University, Southwind Finance Conference at the University of Kansas, and University of Naples Federico II for their helpful comments and suggestions. We also thank our research assistants, Robert Gradeless and Shyam Venkatesan, for their diligent effort. All remaining errors are our responsibility.
Stronger Risk Controls, Lower Risk: Evidence from U.S. Bank Holding Companies
Article first published online: 10 SEP 2013
© 2013 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 68, Issue 5, pages 1757–1803, October 2013
How to Cite
ELLUL, A. and YERRAMILLI, V. (2013), Stronger Risk Controls, Lower Risk: Evidence from U.S. Bank Holding Companies. The Journal of Finance, 68: 1757–1803. doi: 10.1111/jofi.12057
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 10 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 MAY 2013 11:43AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 FEB 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions and you will be able to log in to access content. Some users may also log in directly via OpenAthens.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!