Wayne Ferson is the Ivadelle and Theodore Johnson Chair in Banking and Finance, Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California, and Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research. Jerchern Lin is at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo. Portions of this work were initially prepared as a keynote address for the 16th Annual Pacific Basin Economics, Accounting and Management Conference and for the 2009 Northern Finance Association Meetings. We are grateful to two anonymous referees, George Aragon, Kerry Back, Stephen Brown (Acting Editor), Mendel Fygenson, Derek Horstmeyer, Juna Joenvaara, Raymond Kan, Min S. Kim, Mark Kritzman, Thierry Post, Sergei Sarkissian, and Rick Sias, and to participants in workshops at the University of Arizona, Claremont McKenna College, Erasmus University, the 2011 European Finance Association, Koc University, the 2011 McGill Asset Management Conference, the 2011 Nothern Finance Association meetings, the University of New South Wales, the University of Southern California, the University of Sydney, the University of Technology Sydney, the fall 2011 ICI/AIM Investment Center conference at the University of Texas, Tilburg University, the Spring 2011 CQA Conference, the 2011 Wharton Conference on Household and Portfolio Choice and Investment Decisions, and the University of Washington for suggestions and discussions.
Alpha and Performance Measurement: The Effects of Investor Disagreement and Heterogeneity
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2014
© 2014 The American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 69, Issue 4, pages 1565–1596, August 2014
How to Cite
FERSON, W. and LIN, J. (2014), Alpha and Performance Measurement: The Effects of Investor Disagreement and Heterogeneity. The Journal of Finance, 69: 1565–1596. doi: 10.1111/jofi.12165
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 MAR 2014 01:51PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!