Jisha Menon is Assistant Professor of Theatre and Performance Studies at Stanford University, 551 Serra Mall, Memorial Auditorium, Room 144, Stanford, CA 94305-5010
Queer Selfhoods in the Shadow of Neoliberal Urbanism
Article first published online: 21 MAR 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Journal of Historical Sociology
Special Issue: The Self in South Asia Guest Edited by Nayanika Mookherjee
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 100–119, March 2013
How to Cite
Menon, J. (2013), Queer Selfhoods in the Shadow of Neoliberal Urbanism. Journal of Historical Sociology, 26: 100–119. doi: 10.1111/johs.12006
- Issue published online: 21 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 21 MAR 2013
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? 1962. New York: Signet, 1983. .
- Global Gaze/Global Gays.” GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies. 3.4 (1997): 417–436. . “
- They Are Just Like Us.” livemint.com. 18 July 2009. <http://www.livemint.com/2009/07/16211415/They-are-just-like-us.html>. . “
- A comparative analysis of hijras and drag queens: the subversive possibilities and limits of parading effeminacy and negotiating masculinity.” Journal of Homosexuality. 46.3-4 (2004): 211–223. . “
- Dubbing culture: Indonesian Gay and Lesbi Subjectivities and Ethnography in an already globalized world.” American Ethnologist: 30.2 (2003): 225–242. . “
- Conceiving Kothis’: Men Who Have Sex with Men in India and the Cultural Subject of HIV Prevention.” Medical Anthropology. 26.2 (2007): 175–203. “ ‘
- Bodies That Matter. New York: Routledge, 1993. .
- Gender, Slavery and Law in Colonial India. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. .
- The Quilt & Other Stories. Trans. Tahira Naqvi and Syeda S. Hameed. 3rd ed. New Delhi: Kali for Women. 1996. 7–19. .
- The Kothi Wars: AIDS Cosmopolitanism and the Morality of Classification.” Sex in Development. Ed. Vincanne Adams and Stacy Leigh Pigg . Durham: Duke University Press, 2005. 269–303. . “
- Dance like a Man. Collected Plays. 1989. New Delhi: Penguin Books, 2000. 381–447. .
- Tara. New Dehli: Ravi Dayal, 1990. .
- Bravely Fought the Queen. Collected Plays. 1991. 227–315. .
- Final Solutions. Collected Plays. 1993. 165–226. .
- Do the Needful. Collected Plays. 1997. 121–158. .
- On a Muggy Night in Mumbai. Collected Plays. 1998. 49–111. .
- Night Queen. Yaarana: Gay Writing from India. Ed. Hoshang Merchant. 1998. New Delhi: Penguin, 1999. 57–75. .
- Seven Steps Around the Fire. Collected Plays: Volume Two. 2004. New Delhi: Penguin Books, 2005. 232–282. .
- Signature Event Context.” Limited Inc. Ed. Gerald Graff . 1972. Chicago: Northwestern University Press, 1988. 1–23. . “
- The Feeling of Kinship: Queer Liberalism and the Racialization of Intimacy. Durham: Duke Univeristy Press, 2010. .
- How Much Does Heterosexual Commercial Sex Contribute to India's HIV Epidemic?” International Journal of STD and AIDS. 17.1 (2006): 736–742. and . “
- Face Up.” Bengaluru's Tasveer Gallery. 2009. . “
- “ ‘Hateful’ anti-gay law must go: NACO.” Express India. 27 September. 2006. <http://www.expressindia.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=74541>.
- The Kothi Framework.” Naz Foundation International. November 2000. <www.msmgf.org/documents/Asia/MSMinAsia/KthiBehav.doc.> . “
- Globalizing queer? AIDS, homophobia and the politics of sexual identity in India.” Global Health. 3.8 (2007). <http://www.globalizationandhealth.com/content/3/1/8>. . “
- Politico-moral Transactions in Indian AIDS Service: Confidentiality, Rights and New Modalities of Governance.” Anthropological Quarterly 79.1 (2006): 33–74. . “
- What's Home Got to Do With it?” Feminism Without Borders. Ed. Chandra Mohanty . Durham: Duke University Press, 2003. 85–105. and . “
- Cruising Utopia: The Then and There of Queer Futurity. New York: New York University Press, 2009. .
- With Respect to Sex: Negotiating Hijra Identity in South India. Chicago: Chicago University Press, 2005. .
- Shame, Theatricality, and Queer Performativity: Henry James's The Art of the Novel.” Touching Feeling: Affect, pedagogy. Performativity. Durham, Duke University Press, 2003. . “
- Shame and Its Sisters: A Silvan Tomkins Reader. Durham: Duke University Press, 1995. and .
- Defining Moment.” Frontline. 25.15 (2009): 29–32. . “
- Love and Let Love.” Telegraph. [Calcutta] 5 March. 2006. <http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060305/asp/look/story_5921550.asp>. . “
- A Note on the Play: Director's Note for ‘Bravely Fought the Queen’.” Mahesh Dattani: Collected Plays. New Delhi: Penguin, 2000. 229–230. . “