The new clinical leadership role of senior charge nurses: a mixed methods study of their views and experience
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Nursing Management
Special Issue: This issue: Global nursing leadership Issue editors: Pamela Thompson and Kristiina Hyrkas
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 49–59, January 2014
How to Cite
2014) Journal of Nursing Management 22, 49–59. The new clinical leadership role of senior charge nurses: a mixed methods study of their views and experience, , , (
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 AUG 2012
- NHS. Grant Number: 03854
- 2011) Leadership and management in mental health nursing. Journal of Nursing Management 19, 487–497. & (
- 2003) The Relationship Between Leadership and Trust Performance. Aston Business School, Aston University, Birmingham. , & (
- 2006a) Patient and Public Perspectives of the Role of the Ward Sister and Senior Charge Nurse: A Review of the Literature. Scottish Executive Health Department, Edinburgh. , & . (
- 2006b) An Exploration of the Views and Perspectives of NHS Scotland Patients on Both the Current and Future Role of the SCN/M. Scottish Executive Health Department, Edinburgh. , & . (
- 2009) Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches, 3rd edn. Sage, London. . (
- 2008) Factors contributing to nursing leadership: a systematic review. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy, 13 (4), 240–248. , , et al. (
- 2010) Leadership styles and outcome patterns for the nursing workforce and work environment: a systematic review. International Journal of Nursing Studies 47 (3), 363–385. , , et al. (
- 2008) Predictors of nurse absenteeism in hospitals: a systematic review. Journal of Nursing Management 17 (3), 312–330. , , & (
- 2012) The ‘Releasing Time to Care – the Productive Ward’ programme: participants perspectives. Journal of Nursing Management 20, 354–360. & (
- 2009) The design and Establishment of the Leadership Council. Judge Business School, Cambridge. , , & . (
- Department of Health (2006) Modernising Nursing Careers: Setting the Direction. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2008) High Quality Care for All – NHS Next stage Review Final Report. Department of Health, London.
- 2011) Barriers to clinical leadership development: findings from a national survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing 20, 2023–2032. , , et al. (
- 2011) Leadership and job satisfaction among Azorean hospital nurses: an application of the situational leadership model. Journal of Nursing Management 19, 1047–1057. , & (
- 1978) Theoretical Sensitivity, Sociology Press, Mill Valley, CA. (
- 1967) The Discovery of Grounded Theory, Aldine Publications, Chicago, IL. & (
- 2008) Promoting leadership and management in Australian general practice nursing: what will it take? Journal of Nursing Management 16 (7), 846–852. , & (
- 2005) The impact of leading empowered organisations (LEO) on leadership development in nursing. International Journal of Healthcare Quality Assurance 18 (3), 179–192. , , & (
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organisations (1993) The Measurement Mandate: On the Road to Performance Improvement in Healthcare. Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organisations, Oakbrook, IL.
- 2008) How do we get the managers we need and the leaders we want? A personal view. Journal of Nursing Management 16, 942–945. (
- 2010) Revision of Professional Roles and Quality Improvement: A Review Of The Evidence. The Health Foundation, London. , , et al. (
- 2012) Evaluation of a clinical leadership programme for nurse leaders. Journal of Nursing Management 20, 72–80. , , & (
- 2003) Cognitive aspects of survey methodology and quality of life assessment. Quality of life Research 12, 217–218. , & (
- 1994) Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook. Sage, London. & . (
- 2008) Investigating and profiling the leadership behaviours of Jordanian nursing leaders. British Journal of Nursing 17 (9), 601–608. & (
- NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement (2007) Releasing Time to Care: the Productive Ward. Available at: http://www.institute.nhs.uk/quality_and_value/productivity_series/productive_ward.html, accessed on 17 March 2012.
- NHS Scotland (2011) Leading Better Care incorporating Releasing Time to Care. Available at: http:www.leadingbettercare.scot.nhs.uk, accessed on 17 March 2012.
- 2009) Leading Improvement Effectively: Review of Research. The Health Foundation, London. (
- 2011) Nursing leadership effectiveness and recorded sickness absence among nursing staff: a cross sectional pilot study. Journal of Nursing Management 19, 585–595. , , , & (
- Scottish Executive Health Department (2006) Delivering Care, Enabling Health. Scottish Executive Health Department, Edinburgh.
- Scottish Government Health Department (2008a) Senior Charge Nurse Review and Quality Indicators Project. Scottish Executive Health Department, Edinburgh.
- Scottish Government Health Department (2008b) Leading Better Care. Scottish Government Health Department, Edinburgh.
- Scottish Government Health Department (2009) Releasing Time to Care. Scottish Executive Health Department, Edinburgh.
- Scottish Government Health Department (2010) Leading Better Care and Releasing Time to Care. Implementation and Progress to Date: A Briefing Paper. Scottish Executive Health Department, Edinburgh.
- 2010) The impact of nursing leadership on patient safety in a developing country. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19 (21–22), 3152–3160. & (
- 2012) Nurses' perceptions of leadership styles in hospitals: a grounded theory study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 21 (1–2), 272–280. , & (
- 2005) Patient safety: the four domains of nursing leadership. Nursing Economics 23, 331–333. , & (
- 2000) Transformational leadership: moving total quality management to world class organizations International. Nursing Review 47, 232–242. (
- 2009) Implementation of releasing time to care – the productive ward. Journal of Nursing Management 17, 647–654. (
- 2006) Leadership in Organizations. Pearson, New York, NY. (