Virtue Ethics, Social Difference, and the Challenge of an Embodied Politics
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2013
© 2013 Journal of Religious Ethics, Inc
Journal of Religious Ethics
Volume 41, Issue 1, pages 27–49, March 2013
How to Cite
Dunn, S. (2013), Virtue Ethics, Social Difference, and the Challenge of an Embodied Politics. Journal of Religious Ethics, 41: 27–49. doi: 10.1111/jore.12003
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2013
- 1995 The Character of Our Communities: Toward an Ethic of Liberation for the Church. Nashville, Tenn.: Abingdon Press.
- Aristotle 1985 Nicomachean Ethics. Translated by Terence Irwin. Indianapolis, Ind.: Hackett Pub. Co.
- 1992 Situating the Self: Gender, Community, and Postmodern Ethics. New York: Routledge.
- 1987 The Flight to Objectivity: Essays on Cartesianism and Culture. Albany, N.Y.: State University of New York Press.
- 1999 Contingency and Fortune in Aquinas's Ethics. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- 1991 Ethics with Aristotle. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1995 Katie's Canon: Womanism and the Soul of the Black Community. New York: Continuum.
- 1996 The Unnatural Lottery: Character and Moral Luck. Philadelphia, Penn.: Temple University Press.
- 1990 Pagan Virtue: An Essay in Ethics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2005 Beyond Gated Politics: Reflections for the Possibility of Democracy. Minneapolis, Minn.: University of Minnesota Press.
- 1997 God of the Oppressed. Rev. ed. Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books.
- 1981 A Community of Character: Toward a Cconstructive Christian Social Ethic. Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press.
- 1986 Suffering Presence: Theological Reflections on Medicine, the Mentally Handicapped, and the Church. Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press.
- 2001a The Hauerwas Reader. Edited by John Berkman and Michael G. Cartwright . Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press.
- 2001b With the Grain of the Universe: The Church's Witness and Natural Theology. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Brazos Press.
- 1997 Christians Among the Virtues: Theological Conversations with Ancient and Modern Ethics. Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press. , and
- 2008 Putting on Virtue: The Legacy of the Splendid Vices. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1999 Love's Labor: Essays on Women, Equality, and Dependency. New York: Routledge.
- 2010 “Ethnography, Anthropology, and Comparative Religious Ethics: Or Ethnography and the Comparative Religious Ethics Local.” Journal of Religious Ethics 38.3 (September): 395–403.
- 1981 After Virtue: A Study in Moral Theory. 2nd ed. Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press.
- 1999 Dependent Rational Animals: Why Human Beings Need the Virtues. Chicago: Open Court.
- 2007 The Bluest Eye. New York: Vintage Press.
- 1986 The View From Nowhere. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1986 The Fragility of Goodness: Luck and Ethics in Greek Tragedy and Philosophy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2002 “The Virtue of Justice (IIa IIae qq. 58–122).” In The Ethics of Aquinas, edited by Stephen J. Pope , 272–286. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press.
- 1971 A Theory of Justice. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- 2004 Democracy and Tradition. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.
- 2002 Contesting Sacrifice: Religion, Nationalism, and Social Thought in France. Chicago: Chicago University Press.
- Tertullian 1885 “On Patience”. In Ante-Nicene Fathers, edited by S. Thewall . Vol. 3. New Advent. http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0325.htm.
- 2005 Burdened Virtues: Virtue Ethics for Liberatory Struggles. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2003 Moral Contexts. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- 1981 Moral Luck: Philosophical Papers, 1973–1980. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.