In Defense of the Responsibility to Protect
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2013
© 2013 Journal of Religious Ethics, Inc
Journal of Religious Ethics
Volume 41, Issue 1, pages 169–182, March 2013
How to Cite
Glanville, L. (2013), In Defense of the Responsibility to Protect. Journal of Religious Ethics, 41: 169–182. doi: 10.1111/jore.12008
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2013
- BBC News 2011 “Libya Protests: Defiant Gaddafi Refuses to Quit.” February 22.
- 2009 Responsibility to Protect: The Global Effort to End Mass Atrocities. Cambridge: Polity.
- 2008 The Responsibility to Protect: Ending Mass Atrocity Crimes Once and for All. Washington, D.C.: Brookings.
- 2012 “Christianity and the Responsibility to Protect.” Studies in Christian Ethics 25.3 (August): 312–326.
- 2013 “Humanitarian Intervention and the Problem of Abuse after Libya.” In Armed Humanitarian Intervention: Ideas and Reconsiderations, edited by Don Scheid . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, Forthcoming.
- Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect 2009 “Implementing the Responsibility to Protect. The 2009 General Assembly Debate: An Assessment.” http://globalr2p.org/media/pdf/GCR2P_General_Assembly_Debate_Assessment.pdf (accessed May 1, 2012).
- 1963 Political Thought in Sixteenth-Century Spain: A Study of the Political Ideas of Vitoria, de Soto, Suarez, and Molina. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- International Commission on Intervention and State Sovereignty (ICISS) 2001 “The Responsibility to Protect.” Edited by Gareth Evans and Mohamed Sahnoun . Ottawa, Canada: International Development Research Centre.
- 1998 National Minorities and the European Nation-States System. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 2011 “Qaddafi Warns of Assault on Benghazi as UN Vote Nears.” New York Times, March 17. , and
- 1992 In Defense of the Indians. Translated by Stafford Poole. DeKalb, Ill.: Northern Illinois University Press.
- 2012 “Responsibility to Protect and Militarized Humanitarian Intervention: When and Why Churches Failed to Discern Moral Hazard.” Journal of Religious Ethics 40.2 (June): 308–334.
- 2007 Humanitarian Military Intervention: The Conditions for Success and Failure. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2009 “Responsibility to Protect: Coming of Age?” Global Responsibility to Protect 1.4: 432–441.
- 2012 “Syrians Are Paying the Price of NATO Excesses in Libya.” e-International Relations, March 2.
- 1999 The Rights of War and Peace: Political Thought and the International Order from Grotius to Kant. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- United Nations 2009 “Implementing the Responsibility to Protect: Report of the Secretary-General.” A/63/677, January 12.
- United Nations 2011 “Responsibility While Protecting: Elements for the Development and Promotion of a Concept.” A/66/551–S/2011/701, November 11.
- United Nations General Assembly 2005 “World Summit Outcome.” A/60/1, October 24.
- United Nations Security Council 2011a “Verbatim Record of Meeting 6498.” S/PV.6498, March 17.
- United Nations Security Council 2011b “Verbatim Record of Meeting 6528.” S/PV.6528, May 4.