This paper was presented at the Journal of Regional Science Workshop on Immigration at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, November 7–8, 2011, and the 2011 meetings of the North American Regional Science Council in Miami, FL. Previous versions of it and related research were presented at the 2011 mid-year meetings of the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in Washington, DC; the 2011 meetings of the European Regional Science Association in Barcelona, Spain; the 2010 meetings of the North American Regional Science Council in Denver, CO; and at research seminars at the Korean Research Institute on Human Settlements and the USCIS Office of Policy and Strategy. Background research related to this paper was presented at the 2008 meetings of the North American Regional Science Council in Brooklyn, NY. Special thanks to session participants for their helpful comments and feedback and, especially, to Randy Crane for his input on policy outcomes. John I. Carruthers dedicates his work on this project to his favorite non-U.S. citizen, Giuliana Canè.
PUBLIC AND SUBSIDIZED HOUSING AS A PLATFORM FOR BECOMING A UNITED STATES CITIZEN†
Article first published online: 12 FEB 2013
© 2013, Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Regional Science
Volume 53, Issue 1, pages 60–90, February 2013
How to Cite
Carruthers, J. I., Duncan, N. T. and Waldorf, B. S. (2013), PUBLIC AND SUBSIDIZED HOUSING AS A PLATFORM FOR BECOMING A UNITED STATES CITIZEN. Journal of Regional Science, 53: 60–90. doi: 10.1111/jors.12013
- Issue published online: 12 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 12 FEB 2013
- Received: February 2012; revised: September 2012; accepted: October 2012.
- 2000. “Between Principles and Politics: US Citizenship Policy,” in: Douglas Klusmeyer and A.T. Aleinikoff (eds.), From Migrants to Citizens: Membership in a Changing World . Washington , DC : Brookings Institution Press, 119–174.
- 2002. Citizenship Policies for an Age of Migration . Washington : Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. and .
- 2001. “Why Doesn't the United States Have a European-style Welfare State?,” Brookings Papers on Economic Activity , 2, 187–254. , , and .
- 2009. Mostly Harmless Econometrics: An Empiricist's Companion . Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. and .
- 2010. “Public Housing Revisited: Racial Differences, Housing Assitance, and Socieoeconomic Attainment among Low-income Families,” Social Science Research , 39, 1108–1125. .
- 2007. “Trends in Naturalization. Factsheet, Office of Immigration Statistics, Policy Directorate.” Available at: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ntz_rates508.pdf.
- 1985. Discrete Choice Analysis and Application to Travel Demand . Cambridge , MA : The MIT Press. and .
- 1984. “The Use of Transfer Payments by Immigrants,” Industrial Labor Relations Review , 37, 222–239.
- 2006. Becoming a Citizen: Incorporating Immigration and Refugees in the United States and Canada . Berkley : University of California Press. .
- 2008. Public Housing the Worked: New York in the Twentieth Century . Philadelphia , PA : University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 2010. “Linking Integration and Residential Segregation,” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies , 36, 169–186. , , and .
- 1989. “Economic Theory and International Migration,” International Migration Review , 23, 457–485.
- 1994. “The Economics of Immigration,” Journal of Economic Literature , 32, 1667–1717.
- 1995a. “Ethnicity, Neighborhoods, and Human Capital Externalities,” American Economic Review , 85, 365–390.
- 1995b. “The Economic Benefits from Immigration,” Journal of Economic Perspectives , 9, 3–22.
- 1998. “To Ghetto or not to Ghetto: Ethnicity and Residential Segregation,” Journal of Urban Economics , 44, 228–253.
- 1999a. “Immigration and Welfare Magnets,” Journal of Labor Economics , 17, 607–637.
- 1999b. “The Economic Analysis of Immigration,” in: Orley Ashenfelter and David Card (eds.), Handbook of Labor Economics . Amsterdam, the Netherlands : Elsevier Science.
- 2002a. “Welfare Reform and Immigrant Participation in Welfare Programs,” International Migration Review , 36, 1093–1123.
- 2002b. “Homeownership in the Immigrant Population,” Journal of Urban Economics , 52, 448–476.
- 2010. Labor Economics . New York , NY : McGraw-Hill.
- 1996. “Immigration and the Welfare State: Immigrant Participation in Means-tested Entitlement Programs,” Quarterly Journal of Economics , 111, 775–604. and .
- 1993. “National Origin and Immigrant Welfare Recipiency,” Journal of Public Economics , 50, 325–344. and .
- 2011. Lectures on Urban Economics . Cambridge , MA : The MIT Press.
- 2003. “Back Where We Started: 1996 Law Failed to Cut Overall Immigrant Welfare Use,” Washington , DC : Center for Immigration Studies.
- 2011. Welfare Use by Immigrant Households With Children: A Look at Cash, Medicaid, Housing and Food Programs . Washington , DC : Center for Immigration Studies.
- 2009. Microeconometrics: Methods and Applications . Cambridge , UK : The Cambridge University Press. and .
- 2010. Microeconometrics Using Stata . College Station , TX : The Stata Press. and .
- 2012. “Long-term Earnings and Employment Effects of Housing Voucher Receipt,” Journal of Urban Economics , 71, 128–150. , , , and .
- 2010. “Coming Undone: A Spatial Hazard Analysis of Urban Form,” Papers in Regional Science , 89, 65–88. , , , and .
- Congressional Budget Office (CBO). 2006. Immigration Policy in the United States . Washington , DC : Congressional Budget Office.
- 2006. “Naturalization Rate Estimates: Stock vs. Flow. Factsheet, Office of Immigration Statistics, Policy Directorate.” Available at: http://ipv6.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois_naturalizations_fs_2004.pdf
- 1997. “Are Ghettos Good or Bad?,” Quarterly Journal of Economics , 112, 827–872. and .
- 2008. “When Are Ghettos Bad? Lessons from Immigrant Segregation in the United States,” Journal of Urban Economics , 63, 759–774. , , and .
- 2009. “Becoming a US Citizen: the Role of Immigrant Enclaves,” CityScape , 11, 5–28. and .
- 2011. “Transportation and Land Use,” in: Andrew L. Dannenberg, Howard Frumkin, and Richard J. Jackson (eds.), Making Healthy Places: Designing and Building for Health Wellbeing and Sustainability . Washington , DC : Island Press. , , , and .
- 2003. Econometric Analysis . Upper Saddle River , NJ : Prentice Hall.
- 2003. “The Role of Clustering in Attracting New Immigrants,” Journal of Regional Science , 43, 295–318. and .
- 2004. “Short-term Effects of Moving from Public Housing in Poor to Middle-class Neighborhoods on Low-income Minority Adults’ Outcomes,” Social Science Medicine , 59, 2271–2284. , , and .
- 2007. “Immigrant Integration and Comprehensive Immigration Reform: an Overview,” in: Michael Fix (ed.), Securing the Future: US Immigrant Integration Policy: A Reader . Washington , DC : Migration Policy Institute. .
- 1999. “Trends in Noncitizens' and Citizens' Use of Public Benefits Following Welfare Reform: 1994–1997,” Washington , DC : The Urban Institute. and .
- 2008. Los Angeles on the Leading Edge: Immigrant Integration Indicators and their Policy Implications . Washington , DC : Migration Policy Institute. , , , and .
- 2004. Urban Sprawl and Public Health: Designing and Building for Healthy Communities . Washington , DC : Island Press. , , and .
- 2007. “The Economics Approach to Cities,” Working Paper #13696. Cambridge , MA : National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge , MA .
- 2011. Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier . New York , NY : Penguin.
- 2008. “Why do the Poor Live in Cities? The Role of Public Transportation,” Journal of Urban Economics , 63, 1–24. , , and .
- 2005. “Are Church and State Substitutes? Evidence from the 1996 Welfare Reform,” Journal of Public Economics , 89, 2245–2267.
- 1988. “Patterns of Immigration and Public Assistance Utilization, 1970–1980,” International Migration Review , 22, 51–83. .
- 1999. Immigration and the Nation-State . Oxford : Oxford University Press. .
- 2002. “Mobility of Section 8 Families in Alameda County,” Journal of Housing Economics , 11, 187–213. and .
- 2005. “Housing Mobility and Economic Self-sufficiency: Evidence from a Randomized Experiment,” Journal of Public Economics , 89, 131–156. , , and .
- 1983. Limited Dependent and Qualitative Variables in Econometrics . Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press.
- 2010. “Living the American Dream? Wage Outcomes of Albanian Immigrants in the US,” Working Paper #10–7, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University. and .
- 1993. American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass . Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press. and .
- 1993. “Public Housing and the Concentration of Poverty,” Social Science Quarterly , 74, 109–122. and .
- 2012. “The Next Immigration Challenge, Op-Ed,” New York Times , January 21, 2012. .
- 2007. Intermediate Microeconomics and its Application . Southwestern , USA : Southwestern. and .
- 2005. “Cities and Cultures,” Journal of Urban Economics , 58, 304–337. and .
- 2006. “The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from U.S. Cities,” Journal of Economic Geography , 6, 9–44. and .
- 2009. “Cultural Identity and Knowledge Creation in Cosmopolitan Cities,” Journal of Regional Science , 49, 647–662. and .
- 2001. “Race, Immigrant Status, and Housing Tenure Choice,” Journal of Urban Economics ,” 49, 150–167. , , and .
- 2006. The Geography of American Povert: Is there a Need for Place-based Policy? Kalamazoo , MI : The Upjohn Institute. and .
- 1985. “The Benefits and Costs of the Section 8 Existing Housing Program,” Journal of Public Economics , 26, 349–377.
- 2002. “Does Housing Assistance Perversely Affect Self-sufficiency? A Review of Evidence,” Journal of Housing Economics , 11, 381–417. .
- 2010. “Housing Subsidies and Work Incentives. U.S.,” Working Paper. Department of Housing and Urban Development. .
- 2007. “HUD-Assisted Housing 101: Using 'A Picture of Subsidized Households, 2000,” Cityscape , 10, 211–220.
- 1986. “Immigration and Social Program Participation: Dispelling the Myth of Dependency,” Social Science Research , 15, 372–400. and .
- 1990. The Truly Disadvantaged: the Inner City, the Underclass, and Public Policy . Chicago , IL : The University of Chicago Press.
- 2009. Introductory Econometrics: a Modern Approach . Southwestern : USA .
- 1994. “Explaining Immigrant Naturalization,” International Migration Review 28, 449–477.
- 2007. “Convergence or Divergence in Los Angeles: Three Distinctive Ethnic Patterns of Immigrant Assimilation,” Social Science Research , 36, 254–285. , Dowell.
- 2011. “The Social Context of Assimilation: Testing Implications of Segmented Assimilation Theory,” Social Science Research , 40, 965–984. and .
- 1999. “Patchwork Policies: State Assistance for Immigrants Under Welfare Reform,” Washington , DC : The Urban Institute. and .