We would like to thank the editor, two anonymous referees, Anping Chen, Shihe Fu, Zhigang Li, Yi Lu, Démurger Sylvie, and Wei Xiao for very useful comments and suggestions. Financial supports from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (71302101, 71273285), Guangdong Natural Science Foundation (S2012040007983), and Guangdong Provincial Science and Technology Project (2011B061200008) are acknowledged. All remaining errors are our own.
INDUSTRIAL AGGLOMERATION AND EMPLOYER COMPLIANCE WITH SOCIAL SECURITY CONTRIBUTION: EVIDENCE FROM CHINA†
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Regional Science
Special Issue: Regional Competition, Agglomeration, and Housing Markets in China
Volume 54, Issue 4, pages 586–605, September 2014
How to Cite
Chen, B. R. and Wu, M. (2014), INDUSTRIAL AGGLOMERATION AND EMPLOYER COMPLIANCE WITH SOCIAL SECURITY CONTRIBUTION: EVIDENCE FROM CHINA. Journal of Regional Science, 54: 586–605. doi: 10.1111/jors.12096
- Issue published online: 1 SEP 2014
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2012
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 71302101, 71273285
- Guangdong Natural Science Foundation. Grant Number: S2012040007983
- Guangdong Provincial Science and Technology Project. Grant Number: 2011B061200008
This paper, by using annual surveys of Chinese manufacturing firms from 2001 to 2007, investigates the relationship between industrial agglomeration and employer compliance with required pension contributions. The result of panel fixed-effect estimation shows that in the more agglomerated industrial areas, firms comply with pension mandates at a higher level. Our finding is robust to various specifications and estimations employing instrumental variables.