An earlier version of this paper was circulated with the title “Globalization or Regionalization? A New Approach to Measure International Fragmentation of Value Chains.” It is part of the World Input-Output Database (WIOD) project funded by the European Commission, Research Directorate General as part of the 7th Framework Programme, Theme 8: Socio-Economic Sciences and Humanities, grant Agreement no: 225 281. More information on the WIOD-project can be found at www.wiod.org. Participants at various workshops and conferences, including the Conference “Nations and Regions after the Great Recession” (IHS, Rotterdam, December 13–14, 2012), as well as three referees and guest editor Charles van Marrewijk are gratefully acknowledged for stimulating comments and discussions.
HOW GLOBAL ARE GLOBAL VALUE CHAINS? A NEW APPROACH TO MEASURE INTERNATIONAL FRAGMENTATION†
Article first published online: 9 APR 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Regional Science
Special Issue: Local Consequences of Global Production Processes
Volume 55, Issue 1, pages 66–92, January 2015
How to Cite
Los, B., Timmer, M. P. and de Vries, G. J. (2015), HOW GLOBAL ARE GLOBAL VALUE CHAINS? A NEW APPROACH TO MEASURE INTERNATIONAL FRAGMENTATION. Journal of Regional Science, 55: 66–92. doi: 10.1111/jors.12121
- Issue published online: 12 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 9 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: MAR 2013
- European Commission, Research Directorate General
- Socio-Economic Sciences and Humanities. Grant Number: 225 281
- 2012. “Measuring the Upstreamness of Production and Trade Flows,” American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, 102, 412–416. , , , and .
- 2006a. Globalisation: The Great Unbundling(s). Globalisation Challenges for Europe. Helsinki: Office of the Prime Minister of Finland. .
- 2006b. “Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade,” The World Economy, 29, 1451–1518. .
- 2012. “Value Creation and Trade in 21st Century Manufacturing: What Policies for UK Manufacturing?” in D. Greenaway (ed.), The UK in a Global World; How Can the UK Focus on Steps in Global Value Chains That Really Add Value? London: Centre for Economic Policy Research, pp. 71–128. and .
- 1998. “Measuring U.S. International Goods and Services Transactions,” in R.E. Baldwin, R.E. Lipsey, and J.D. Richards (eds.), Geography and Ownership as Bases for Economic Accounting. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, pp. 9–48. and .
- 2013. “Supply-Chain Trade: A Portrait of Global Patterns and Several Testable Hypotheses,” NBER Working Paper 18957, National Bureau of Economic Research. and .
- 2013. “Spiders and Snakes: Offshoring and Agglomeration in the Global Economy,” Journal of International Economics, 90, 245–254. and .
- 2011. “Vertical Linkages and the Collapse of Global Trade,” American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 101, 308–312. , , and .
- 2013. “Regional Employment Patterns in a Globalizing World: A Tale of Four Italies,” Banca d’Italia/University of Groningen, mimeo. and .
- 2013. “An Elementary Theory of Global Supply Chains,” Review of Economic Studies, 80, 109–144. , , and .
- 2010. “Who Profits from Innovation in Global Value Chains?: A Study of the iPod and Notebook PCs,” Industrial and Corporate Change, 19, 81–116. , , and .
- 2013. “The Role of Brazilian Regions in the Global Value Chain,” University of Groningen/University of Sao Paulo, mimeo. , , and .
- 2000. “Labor Productivity in Western Europe 1975–1985: An Intercountry, Interindustry Analysis,” Journal of Regional Science, 40, 425–452. , , and .
- 2013. “The Construction of World Input-Output Tables in the WIOD Project,” Economic Systems Research, 25, 71–98. , , , , and .
- 2007. “Production Chains in an Interregional Framework: Identification by Means of Average Propagation Lengths,” International Regional Science Review, 30, 362–383. and .
- 2005. “Wie Viel Deutschland steckt im Porsche?” Ifo Schnelldienst, 58, 3–5. .
- 2011. “On the Fragmentation of Production in the U.S.,” Unpublished manuscript, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO. .
- 1999. “The Impact of Outsourcing and High-Technology Capital on Wages: Estimates for the U.S., 1979–1990,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, 114, 907–940. and .
- 2012. “Evaluating Estimates of Material Offshoring from US Manufacturing,” Economics Letters, 117, 170–173. and .
- 2010. “Services Trade and Policy,” Journal of Economic Literature, 48, 642–692. and .
- 1999. “International Trade and Industrial Upgrading in the Apparel Commodity Chain,” Journal of International Economics, 48, 37–70. .
- 2010. “The Global Apparel Value Chain, Trade and the Crisis: Challenges and Opportunities for Developing Countries,” in O. Cattaneo, G. Gereffi, and C. Staritz (eds.), Global Value Chains in a Postcrisis World: A Development Perspective. Washington, DC: The World Bank, pp. 157–208. and .
- 2008. “Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring,”American Economic Review, 98, 1978–1997. and .
- 2007. “Transportation Costs and International Trade in the Second Era of Globalization,” Journal of Economic Perspectives, 21, 131–154. .
- 2001. “The Nature and Growth of Vertical Specialization in World Trade,” Journal of International Economics, 54, 75–96. , , and .
- 2002. “How Does Insertion in Global Value Chains Affect Upgrading in Industrial Clusters?” Regional Studies, 36, 1017–1027. and .
- 2012a. “Accounting for Intermediates: Production Sharing and Trade in Value Added,” Journal of International Economics, 86, 224–236. and .
- 2012b. “Fragmentation and Trade in Value Added over Four Decades,” NBER Working Paper 18186, National Bureau of Economic Research. and .
- 1990. “The Role of Services in Production and International Trade: A Theoretical Framework,” in R.W. Jones and A. Krueger (eds.), The Political Economy of International Trade. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, pp. 31–48. and .
- 2012. “How Much of Chinese Exports Is Really Made in China? Assessing Foreign and Domestic Value-Added in Gross Exports,” Journal of Development Economics, 99, 178–189. , , and .
- 2014. “Tracing Value-Added and Double Counting in Gross Exports,” American Economic Review, 104, 459–494. , , and .
- 1997. “Trade Barriers and Trade Flows across Countries and Industries,” Review of Economics and Statistics, 79, 372–382. and .
- 2006. “A New International Division of Labor in Europe: Outsourcing and Offshoring to Eastern Europe,” Journal of the European Economic Association, 4, 612–622. .
- 2013. “Compilation and Applications of IDE-Jetro's International Input-Output Tables,” Economic Systems Research, 25, 122–142. , , and .
- 2009. Input-Output Analysis: Foundations and Extensions, 2nd edition, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. and .
- 2008. Global Trade, Assistance, and Production: The GTAP 7 Data Base. Lafayette IN: Center for Global Trade Analysis, Purdue University. and (eds.).
- 2006. “The Pathological Export Boom and the Bazaar Effect: How to Solve the German Puzzle,” World Economy, 29, 1157–1175. .
- 2008. “Value Chains, Networks and Clusters: Reframing the Global Automotive Industry,” Journal of Economic Geography, 8, 297–321. , , and .
- 2011. “Joint Estimation of Supply and Use Tables,” Papers in Regional Science, 90, 863–882. and .
- The Economist. 2013. “Here, There and Everywhere. Special Report on Outsourcing and Offshoring,” January 19, pp. 3–5.
- Timmer, Marcel P. (ed.). 2012. “The World Input-Output Database (WIOD): Contents, Sources and Methods,” WIOD Working Paper no. 10, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
- 2014. “Slicing Up Global Value Chains,” Journal of Economic Perspectives, 28(2). , , , , and .
- 2013. “Fragmentation, Incomes and Jobs. An Analysis of European Competitiveness,” Economic Policy, 28, 613–661.Direct Link:, , , and .
- 1995. “European Community Intercountry Input–Output Relations: Construction and Main Results for 1965–1985,” Economic Systems Research, 7, 249–269. and .
- World Bank. 2013. World Databank – Global Economic Monitor (GEM) Commodities. http://databank.worldbank.org/data/views/variableselection/selectvariables.aspx?source=global-economic-monitor-(gem)-commodities. Accessed May 2013.