New Evidence: Data Documenting Parental Support for Earlier Sexuality Education
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2013
© 2013, American School Health Association
Journal of School Health
Volume 84, Issue 1, pages 10–17, January 2014
How to Cite
New evidence: data documenting parental support for earlier sexuality education., , , , .
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 DEC 2012
- 3Emerging Answers: Research Findings on Programs to Reduce Teen Pregnancy and Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Washington, DC: National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy; 2007..
- 7Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS). Guidelines for Comprehensive Sexuality Education Kindergarten through 12th Grade. National Guidelines Task Force. 3 ed. Washington, DC: SIECUS; 2004.
- 8Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. YRBSS: Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System; 2011. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/yrbs/index.htm. Accessed October 2, 2012.
- 9Non-coital sexual activities among adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2008;42(2–1):44-45., , .
- 11Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. STD Trends in the United States: 2010 National Data for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, and Syphilis; 2010. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/std/stats10/trends.htm. Accessed November 15, 2012.
- 12Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV Among Youth; 2011. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/youth/index.htm. Accessed November 2, 2012.
- 13The Alan Guttmacher Institute. U.S. Teenage Pregnancy Statistics. Overall Trends, Trends by Race and Ethnicity and State-by-State Information; 2006. Available at: www.guttmacher.org/pubs/state-pregnancy-trends.pdf. Accessed November 7, 2012.
- 14Trends in teen pregnancy rates from 1996 to 2006: a comparison of Canada, Sweden, USA and England/Wales. Can J Hum Sex. 2010;19(1–2):43-52., .
- 152012. Available at: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends08.pdf. Accessed October 28, 2012., . U.S. Teenage Pregnancies, Births and Abortions, 2008: National Trends by Age, Race and Ethnicity. New York: Guttmacher Institute;
- 16The National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. Fact Sheet: By the Numbers: The Public Costs of Teen Childbearing in Florida; 2006. Available at: http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/costs/pdf/states/florida/fact-sheet.pdf. Accessed October 23, 2012.
- 17Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Vital Signs: Preventing Teen Pregnancy in the US; 2011. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/VitalSigns/pdf/2011-04-vitalsigns.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2012.
- 18Science and Success, Second Edition: Programs That Work to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, HIV & Sexually Transmitted Infections. Washington, DC: Advocates for Youth; 2008..
- 20What Works 2011–2012: Curriculum-Based Programs That Help Prevent Teen Pregnancy. Washington, DC: The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy; 2011..
- 21The Guttmacher Institute. State Policies in Brief. Sex and STI/HIV Education. New York: The Guttmacher Institute; 2012. Available at: http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_SE.pdf. Accessed November 2, 2012.
- 24Florida residents' preferred approach to sexuality education. Am J Sex Educ. 2007;2(3):27-37., .
- 25Public opinion toward sexuality education: findings among one south Florida county. Am J Sex Educ. 2011;6(2):176-191., , , .
- 27National Public Radio, Kaiser Family Foundation & Kennedy School of Government. Sexuality Education in America. General Public/Parents Survey, and Sexuality Education in America. Principals Survey. Menlo Park, CA: The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation; 2004.
- 29The Future of Sex Education. National sexuality education standards: core content and skills, K-12 (special report). J Sch Health. 2012;82:1-42.
- 30Florida Department of Education. Health Education Survey 2004–2005. Tallahassee, FL: Florida Department of Education; 2006.
- 31Sexuality education in Florida: content, context, and controversy. Am J Sex Educ. 2008;3(2):183-209., , , et al.
- 32Pregnancy prevention, sexuality education, and coping with opposing views. Am J Sex Educ. 1999;30(3):142-149., , , .
- 332010 Available at: www.pewinternet.org. Accessed October 18, 2012., , , . Pew Internet and American Life Project: Assessing the Phone Cell Challenge to Survey Research in 2010. Washington, DC: The Pew Research Center;