Declaration of conflict of interest: None declared.
Prevention of neural tube defects with folate
Article first published online: 3 JAN 2013
© 2012 The Author. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health © 2012 Paediatrics and Child Health Division (Royal Australasian College of Physicians)
Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 2–4, January 2013
How to Cite
Bower, C. (2013), Prevention of neural tube defects with folate. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 49: 2–4. doi: 10.1111/jpc.12069
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 3 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 NOV 2012
- 9Promotion of folate for the prevention of neural tube defects: knowledge and use of periconceptional folic acid supplements in Western Australia, 1992–1995. (Published erratum appears in Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health 1998; 22: 72.) Aust. N. Z. J. Public Health 1997; 21: 716–721., , , , , .
- 14Folate. Preventing neural tube defects. The pharmacist's contribution. Aust. Pharm. 1995; 14: 367–371., , , , .
- 17National Health and Medical Research Council. Folate Fortification – Report of the Expert Panel on Folate Fortification. Canberra: Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health; 1995.
- 18Interim Evaluation of the Voluntary Folate Fortification Policy. Canberra: Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care; 2001., .
- 26Changes in the birth prevalence of selected birth defects after grain fortification with folic acid in the United States: findings from a multi-state population- based study. Birth Defects Res. A Clin. Mol. Teratol. 2005; 73: 679–689., , et al.
- 29Food Standards Australia New Zealand. Proposal P295 – Consideration of Mandatory Fortification with Folic Acid. Canberra: Food Standards Australia New Zealand, 2004; 2006; 2007. Available from: http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/foodstandards/%20proposals/proposalp295considerationofmandatoryfortification%20withfolicacid/index.cfm [accessed 12 December 2012].
- 30Food Standards Australia New Zealand. Mandatory Folic Acid Fortification Guide. Canberra: Food Standards Australia New Zealand, 2009. Available from: http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/%20foodstandards/userguides/mandatoryfolicacidfo4208.cfm [accessed 12 December 2012].
- 31New Zealand Government. The Future of Folic Acid Fortification of Bread in New Zealand. MPI Discussion Paper No. 2012/02. May 2012. Available from: http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/elibrary/industry/%20fortification-bread-folic-acid/folic-acid-discussion-document.pdf [accessed 12 December 2012].
- 32Food Standards Australia New Zealand. Monitoring of Folic Acid Fortification. Canberra: Food Standards Australia New Zealand, 2012. Available from: http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/%20scienceandeducation/factsheets/factsheets/monitoringoffolicaci%205475.cfm [accessed 12 December 2012].
- 33The impact of mandatory fortification of flour with folic acid on the blood folate levels of an Australian population. Med. J. Aust. 2011; 194: 65–67., , , , .