Conflict of interest: None declared.
Educational, developmental and psychological outcomes of resettled refugee children in Western Australia: A review of School of Special Educational Needs: Medical and Mental Health input
Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health © 2014 Paediatrics and Child Health Division (Royal Australasian College of Physicians)
Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health
Volume 50, Issue 12, pages 985–992, December 2014
How to Cite
Mace, A. O., Mulheron, S., Jones, C. and Cherian, S. (2014), Educational, developmental and psychological outcomes of resettled refugee children in Western Australia: A review of School of Special Educational Needs: Medical and Mental Health input. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 50: 985–992. doi: 10.1111/jpc.12674
- Issue online: 1 DEC 2014
- Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAY 2014
- 4Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture. Part 1: Understanding the refugee experience. In: Murphy S, ed. School's in for Refugees: A Whole-School Approach to Supporting Students of Refugee Background, 2nd edn. Victoria: Foundation House, 2011; 3–64.
- 6Refugee Status Report. A report on how refugee children and young people in Victoria are faring. Melbourne, Australia: Murdoch Childrens Research Institude, the Royal Children's Hospital and the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, 2011., , , ,
- 11Young refugees talk about well-being: a qualitative analysis of refugee youth mental health from three states. Aust. J. Soc. Issues 2003; 38: 193–208., , , .
- 13Minimum standards for quality education for refugee youth. J. Youth. Stud. 2007; 26: 50–56., .
- 14Schooling and settlement: refugee education in Australia. Int. Stud. Sociol. Educ. 2008; 18: 31–45..
- 16School effects on psychological outcomes during adolescence. J. Educ. Psychol. 2002; 94: 795–809..
- 18Learning to be literate : issues of pedagogy for recently arrived refugee youth in Australia. Crit. Inq. Lang. Stud. 2009; 6: 81–101..
- 21Early Childhood (K-2). Pre-compulsory schooling (kindergarten). In: Office of Early Childhood Development and Learning, Department of Education, ed. Operational Handbook. Western Australia: The Government of Western Australia, 2013; 1. (Updated September 2013).
- 23Refugee Education Partnership Project. The Education Needs of Young Refugees in Victoria. Victoria: Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc., 2007.
- 24Refugees in Western Australia: Settlement and Integration. Perth: The University of Western Australia, 2012., .
- 25Shifting space and cultural place: the transition experiences of African young people in Western Sydney high schools. Australian Association for Research in Education. Sydney; 2005.,
- 30Mandatory detention of refugee children: a public health issue? Paediatr. Child Health (Oxford) 2011; 16: e65–68., , .
- 34Department of Education. Enrolment Policy: Enrolment of Students from Overseas Appendix, 2013. Version 1.2 ed. Available from: http://www.det.wa.edu.au/policies/detcms/policy-planning-and-accountability/policies-framework/policies/enrolment/ [accessed 21 February 2014].